Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > You can't pay me enough to ride in the Space Shuttle

You can't pay me enough to ride in the Space Shuttle
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 04:11 PM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3828343.html

Why does my stomach tie itself in a knot when I learn this?

Seriously, I think that the Shuttle should only do unmanned flights, for cargo, back and forth without risking human life.

They want to shuttle astronauts? Go Russia.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2006, 04:39 PM

If I had the money I'd pay to go. Even if it blew up on the way up or down, I'dve been in a space shuttle.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gator Lager
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather

Seriously, I think that the Shuttle should only do unmanned flights, for cargo, back and forth without risking human life.

ugh, yes it's dangerous flying the shuttles. like I've mentioned before, I work on them and I WOULD FLY in any of them in a heart beat. the doom and gloom people are the same that want a perfect 100% ain't no way in hell your gonna get hurt flying space ship. well folks that type of space travel is not possible at this time. there are risks. these doom and gloom people piss me off.

the russians have lost cosmonauts on launch and landing. big dumb rockets are just as dangerous as shuttles. so until we get something along the lines of a Millennium Falcon or the like, well keep flying dangerous model T space shuttles.

the shuttle replacement is "back to the past to the future big dumb rockets"
I was hoping for a ufo from area 51 or something

we just celebrated the 25th year of flying space shuttles. and hopefully we'll be back to flying shuttle in july.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If I had the money I'd pay to go. Even if it blew up on the way up or down, I'dve been in a space shuttle.

which one ?

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2006, 06:48 PM

You could die every day just crossing the road. May as well go out in style. Considering the ratio of successful flights to fatal ones, I think your odds with the Shuttle are pretty good.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2006, 07:04 PM

Your choice. Personally, if I had the opportunity to ride in one, I'd be scared as hell but I'd do it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Gator Lager
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 07:56 PM

I like this John Young quote.

"We need to be smarter," Young said. "We are very ignorant about things that go on in our solar system."

Risk is inevitable, he said.

"Spaceflight exploration is a dangerous business, but I mean, for goodness' sake, we lose 40,000 people a year on the damn U.S. highways, and nobody worries about that. It's like, so what? And they lose seven people in spaceflight and everybody's, well, cancel the space program. They're kidding themselves."

from here http://tinyurl.com/pvgrf

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2006, 07:59 PM

I'm with Millennium. I'd be scared schmittless, but I'd do it. In a red hot minute. No doubt, hesitation or regret whatsoever. And my wife would back me up on it too. That's the thing about astronauts; they love to fly and knowing the risks, they still volunteer to go.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gator Lager
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'm with Millennium. I'd be scared schmittless, but I'd do it. In a red hot minute. No doubt, hesitation or regret whatsoever. And my wife would back me up on it too. That's the thing about astronauts; they love to fly and knowing the risks, they still volunteer to go.
well my co-workers would strap ya in and wish you a good fun flight

I was on the close out crew. no way to explain it. it's just awesome. had to resign due to injurys. sigh.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 09:58 PM

Every space shuttle doesn't crash or explode.

I'd go.

Bye!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2006, 01:26 AM

People complain about Space being so dangerous. Exploration is always dangerous. Think of the tens of THOUSANDS of people who died on the high seas or exploring new lands? I'd go on the shuttle in a heart beat.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2006, 08:45 AM

I'd be on the shuttle in a New York minute.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2006, 11:10 AM

I'd go too, even without wifely approval. I want to go to space as much as the next guy.

'tis not true that you can't pay me enough to ride the space shuttle. But I do want to point out that the dangers of it are more notorious now than before.

baw
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 11:23 AM

I'd go.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2006, 08:07 PM

You fool. You are at 100x risk with a Russian launch then you are with the Shuttle. Space flight is dangerous no matter what mode of transporation you use.

1000's of people would be willing to pay millions of dollars to have the chance to ride on a Shuttle, even with the risks, except NASA is not a Taxi for the rich.

If I ever went in space, I'd ONLY go if it was on the Shuttle. You have NO idea what the Russians do or what their safety record is.

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Apr 30, 2006, 08:13 PM

I'd go shuttle or Soyuz.

My mind is made up for either of them.Hopefully there 's some vodka on Soyuz!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

Ganesha
Senior User
Apr 30, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
You fool. You are at 100x risk with a Russian launch then you are with the Shuttle. Space flight is dangerous no matter what mode of transporation you use.
Actually, despite the differences in design the lethal accident rate (in terms of death per capita) is about the same for both launch systems. Soyuz has had many more near misses, which you can either think of as a higher risk system or a more survivable system...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 09:18 PM

I would in a freaking heartbeat. I mean, if you gotta die, I'd rather die on the f-ing space shuttle than I would in yet another random car accident here on the good ol' terra firma.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 05:40 AM

I'd go for free.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 11:18 AM

Those who say the risk is inherent are absolutely right. It is too bad, however, that our culture doesn't value science enough to make it a priority. The shuttle transportation system, for all its advanced bells & whistles, is still basically 60s/70s technology. So what's next? In our society of immediate gratification, seems many (most?) are against the kind of spending necessary to do something great.

It's a shame The Program which took us to the moon has been reduced to groveling before Congress for a fraction of their former budget (adjusted for inflation).
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 05:21 PM

Yeah they get something like a thousandth of their former budget but at least they don't have to sell the shuttles to theme parks like the russians.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:58 PM

T minus 6 days
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...e_oconnor.html

I hope I have time to go to Titusville that day

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 01:28 PM

Name another fleet of spacecraft that have visited space 114 times? Two catastrophic accidents with such a complex system is IMHO rather good. I'm not saying the two accidents weren't tragic, but all things considered... not statistically bad.

The Russian had a very different design philosophy, and had the luxury of working in a top secret environment... where there mistakes were hidden from their citizens.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:25 PM

Media coverage distorts everything. Each accident was tragic but lets not forget those who took the risk to cross the Atlantic and find out about our world. I'd jump at the chance to ride on the shuttle.

We need another Enlightenment age to remind us that the real purpose we serve is to explore and find out about the Universe because then we'll find out more about ourselves.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
Media coverage distorts everything. Each accident was tragic but lets not forget those who took the risk to cross the Atlantic and find out about our world. I'd jump at the chance to ride on the shuttle.

We need another Enlightenment age to remind us that the real purpose we serve is to explore and find out about the Universe because then we'll find out more about ourselves.
I feel the American media is less about reporting the news, and more about creating exciting news.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I feel the American media is less about reporting the news, and more about creating exciting news.
And sadly, I would have to agree.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
People get the media they deserve. If people accept sh!t, it will be piled on their plates in a steaming pile. When people stop watching garbage, you better believe They will stop serving it. It is a business after all.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 07:16 PM

Me, I'd do it in a heart beat, heck I could step off a curb and get hit by a bus, there are no guarantees in life and if a once in a life time opportunity raised itself like this, you bet ya.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
People get the media they deserve. If people accept sh!t, it will be piled on their plates in a steaming pile. When people stop watching garbage, you better believe They will stop serving it. It is a business after all.
Unfortunately, the masses don't just accept the worthless garbage that fills the mainstream media, they demand and embrace it. I don't see that changing enough in the foreseeable future to force the media to change their direction.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 09:43 PM

Count me in as another who'd gladly take a trip on the Space Shuttle. We all kick the bucket one way or another, and I can't think of a better way to do it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2006, 09:59 PM

You couldn't pay me enough to walk outside without a helmet on.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Gator Lager
Senior User
Jun 24, 2006, 10:56 PM

T minus 6 days
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...e_oconnor.html

I hope I have time to go to Titusville that day

If you drive I4 from Tampa, come early. You'll have to deal with the rat (disney) traffic. Then you'll have to deal with 528 (beach line). So go easy on the caffeine.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...ain/index.html

and for what some other's have said about the press.......... F'em.

We're ready.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2006, 11:46 PM

I've taken protein pills and got my helmet on.

commencing countdown, engines on.

Ilan Ramon and Jan Resnick were heroes of mine.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2006, 10:22 AM

I have been troubled over the space shuttle since I did some research on Challenger and found out that there were troubling issues with the technical management of the shuttle's design and maintenance. Apollo rockets were apparently designed with much better QA, testing and documentation of each of the critical parts. It appears to have been a more rigorously managed project. The shuttle is obviously a terrific piece of work, and the rigors of space travel are certainly formidable. But upon reading the articles I read on the Challenger failure, I recognized the fact that a similar tragedy was entirely too possible. That was a few years before Columbia, unfortunately.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gator Lager
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I have been troubled over the space shuttle since I did some research on Challenger and found out that there were troubling issues with the technical management of the shuttle's design and maintenance. Apollo rockets were apparently designed with much better QA, testing and documentation of each of the critical parts. It appears to have been a more rigorously managed project. The shuttle is obviously a terrific piece of work, and the rigors of space travel are certainly formidable. But upon reading the articles I read on the Challenger failure, I recognized the fact that a similar tragedy was entirely too possible. That was a few years before Columbia, unfortunately.

I'm a Q.C. on the Shuttle fleet. Both Challenger and Columbia were brought down by external forces. The S.R.B. design problem for Challenger and the foam for Columbia.

As for the internal components, well that's my area and I can say WE are very diligent in the inspection and testing processes. And yes as humans we miss things from time to time. But that's why we do inspection over and over again. So take what the press writes and reports about us with a grain of salt.

We know what we are doing. But unfortunately some of the higher up folks don't make the correct decisions at times. I'll stop there.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I think you're oversimplifying.

The Apollo program was orders of magnitude less complex than the Shuttle program. One was a tin can over a bottle rocket, use once.

The other is a recyclable flying brick designed to be flexible in use. That flexibility requires huge amounts of complexity.

Think about computer code for one moment. Think about the quality control and debugging that has to take place. Then think about the planning involved in attempting to code bug-free from the beginning. Because lives depend upon it.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 03:55 PM

EXACTLY GATOR!! The Shuttle is FINE. The external tank is the chink in the armor. A shame you couldn't use more solid fuel engines, but the G-forces would kill the crew.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2006, 04:38 PM

I'd go in a heartbeat.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
Me, I'd do it in a heart beat, heck I could step off a curb and get hit by a bus, there are no guarantees in life and if a once in a life time opportunity raised itself like this, you bet ya.
I guess hard times have fallen upon the empire if Darth Vader is willing to ride on the space shuttle.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 09:00 AM

Without a doubt if I had the funds I'd pay to go also. Even if I knew it there was a problem that gave it a low chance of returning. I can think of worse ways to go out than in the fulfillment of a childhood dream.

I can't wait until we can all afford to do Richard Branson's Virgin Atlanta tours to the sky!
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2006, 09:34 PM

I am 4 hours away from the site. Is leaving home at 6AM to beat launch-day traffic an excessive effort? (launch is at 3:49PM)

Gator Lager
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 01:59 AM

I am 4 hours away from the site. Is leaving home at 6AM to beat launch-day traffic an excessive effort? (launch is at 3:49PM)
check the weather before you head over here. the afternoon rains have been starting around launch time. I heard today it's going to be a 60% no go for launch. but we'll tank anyway and I'll be on the runway, getting eating by skee'ters. waiting for launch.

bring an umbrella

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 10:03 PM

This time I won't go to the east coast. Trying to return at 6PM last Saturday was a nightmare

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 10:49 PM

Would go in a heartbeat. Can't think of a better way to go, talk about spectacular.

Anyway, I always wondered why the shuttle fleet became dangerous all of a sudden. First you had the Challenger back in 1985. Then, after Columbia problem started appearing like mushrooms. Anyone ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 11:35 PM

The problems were always there. They just went un-noticed. Fortunately the flight-crew have been pretty lucky.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 3, 2006, 11:40 PM

Hasn't there been like 100 shuttle launches and only 2 major accidents? That's pretty good.

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules