Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should I sell my Powermac?

Should I sell my Powermac?
lizardgator
Jul 9, 2006, 08:40 AM

I just thought I'd ask your opinion. I have a dual 2.0GHz G5 Powermac with 1.5GHz of ram, it's the rev A version which holds up to 8gb of ram. It runs and looks like new, I've never had a single problem with it. I've been contimplating selling it but I'm not sure that I should. It's definitely powerful enough for what I need a computer for, I never feel the need for more power. The reasons I'm thinking of selling it is I think once the new Conroe based Pro desktop systems are released it's value may plummet. Also the ability to run both Leopard and Vista on the same machine is a big plus, like two computers in one. I'm thinking if I sell it and even go for the lower end new Conroe based machine I shouldn't lose a fortune. If it were you what would you do?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 11:59 AM

I just wrote a long reply, but lost it... boo

In summary - I have just sold my Dual 2Ghz G5, for the same reason, the price will soon plummet. I got $1825 for mine (Dual 2Ghz, 2.5gig ram, ATI 9600 and 500Gig HD).

I have sold my G5, and my iBook, and soon my PC - I'm replacing it all with a MacBook Pro.

if you dont mind adding a few hundered $$ to what you get for the G5 then a MacPro could make a nice upgrade. You might have to get the bottom one, and only a gig or so ram to begin with if you dont want to spend too much
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 12:38 PM

I personally would keep the G5, but only because Windows is useless to me. I think it is a good reason to sell it and get a Mac Pro if you want to run Windows, so if I had use for Windows I would sell.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 01:31 PM

Just to put in my reason for selling everything - I feel like im very anti-social sitting in my room on my computer all the time, and the G5 is plenty fast enough - so swapping it for a MBP was the plan.

I realised the MacPros would be out soon, and that the G5 price would plummet, so I sold it now and will live with my PC for a couple of months till the revised MBPs appear.

If you need a PC, and dont have one, then swapping the G5 for a MacPro would be a good move - some may suggest just getting a cheap PC , but as you said, its nice to have it all in one machine.

In the end it is up to you, work out how much your G5 is worth, assume the MacPro's will keep the same price range as the G5's now, and see if it is worth the difference.

If I didnt want a portable computer, then My G5 (purchased the day they were released) would probably stay with me another 3 years. Its an amazing machine - My 3Ghz PC is a dog compared to it...
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

cms
Senior User
Jul 9, 2006, 02:46 PM

This is such a tough one. I adore my G5 (dual 2.0, 4 gigs RAM) and have had it since June 2004. It is a brilliant machine, and does absolutely everything I want it to. And more. It is rock solid -- last kernel panic I had was more than a year ago. It's on 24/7 and it works really hard for me. There is only one snag -- my MacBookPro (dual core 2.0 GHz, 2 gigs RAM) is waaaaaaay faster than my G5. And because I'm a real speed freak, I just KNOW I'll want a MacPro when they finally come to market. Not that I need one. But, as everyone knows, want and need are not the same thing! So, while there would be absolutely no justification to sell the G5 and buy the MacPro (particularly since I already have the boy-racer MacBook Pro), I am guessing I just won't be able to help it when the time finally rolls around.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 03:53 PM

IMHO, I would keep it... even if a Mac Pro comes out next month... who knows if it's what you would want... I'm also not in a place where I can be without a Mac (both of them) for any period of time.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2006, 07:07 AM

I just sold my G5 2.0GHz on eBay.

I'm a little disapointed in the price but that's the market for you . It sold for 1550 plus shipping

I think if I put it up on ebay a month ago, the price would have been markedly higher. Now it seems most of the G5s are going in the 1500 - 1800 range.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 10:55 AM

3 weeks ago I sold my Rev. B dual 2.0/512mb/160GB/GeFoce 6800 Ultra on eBay for $1575. I was going to wait for a Mac Pro, but instead I decided to unload my 23" Cinema Display on eBay as well and just buy a loaded iMac. I did a cost/benefit analysis using what I expected to spend on the Mac Pro and I just don't use enough power to warranty it, even not knowing what the specs will be. I can live with the smaller screen.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 06:09 PM

Keep it, if your happy with it. Prices will not plummet.

I thought that about the G4 when the G5 came out, and they didn't. A used computer seller in the area was selling as many G4's as G5's.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
I just sold my G5 2.0GHz on eBay.

I'm a little disapointed in the price but that's the market for you . It sold for 1550 plus shipping

I think if I put it up on ebay a month ago, the price would have been markedly higher. Now it seems most of the G5s are going in the 1500 - 1800 range.
That's disappointing!?! If that's USD, that certainly is not disappointing, unless you had 2 big HDs or a high-end Geforce 6800 in it. If its CDN, it's a bit disappointing.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 05:18 PM

I think Mac resale prices have been so good for the last 4 or 5 years because they weren't advancing very quickly... saving a few hundred dollars by buying last year's model second hand didn't mean taking a huge performance hit compared to buying something new. I think that era is somewhat coming to an end.

As apple moves away from PPC, their hardware will become more commodity. I think we'll see PPC prices slip and then hold... Obviously I'm just estimating, but I'm thinking your G5 will probably be worth $1250-$1500 after the MacPro is released. I think it'll slowly devalue from there.

ImpulseResponse

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 04:52 AM

I think it is really easy, as long as you 'really' need to run Windows I would sell it, otherwise I would keep it. Luckily for you even if you opt for a laptop it would be fast enough to don't feel like a downgrade, a friend of me switched from a G5 like yours (2 GHz Dual rev.a) to a 17 inches PB G4 due to he really had the need for mobility, he ended selling the PowerBook not much later because it was way slow to play with Garageband, he doesn't need mobility nowadays and got an intel Mac which is powerful enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules