Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic not meant for iphone really?

Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic not meant for iphone really?
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2008, 11:07 AM

I know the product documentation does not list the iphone but is this really true?? is it a mis print??? I mean I would love to use these on my iPhone I'm tired of hearing the train with my music all the time.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...mco=MTIxODk3Mw
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 12:15 PM

The Apple online support staff say it isn't compatible. Might as well just wait for them to be actually be released for someone to try out. Purportedly audio will work, but it remains to be seen if volume adjustment and the mic will with the iPhone.

ewiser
Sep 18, 2008, 12:47 PM

Several 3rd party head sets for th iPhone http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=MTU2MzM2MA

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 20, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by bleee View Post
I know the product documentation does not list the iphone but is this really true?? is it a mis print??? I mean I would love to use these on my iPhone I'm tired of hearing the train with my music all the time.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...mco=MTIxODk3Mw
No one will know 100% until we see them, but I suspect it's true.

The reason is that the new buds have three buttons (volume +/- and play/pause), whereas iPhone buds have just one. On the iPhone buds, the button simply bridges the ground to the extra ring on the plug. To have more than one button, there needs to be some kind of encoding, and that requires extra hardware on at least one end, if not both. My hunch is that the iPhones (and earlier iPods) do not have the hardware to read the encoded button signal.

But ewiser is absolutely right, you don't have to use Apple's earbuds. There are now lots of great third-party choices with the mike and button. I use a set of Shure earbuds with their iPhone adapter, but if I were buying earbuds now, I'd get the Ultimate Ears super.fi 4vi for $150. They sound amazing, better than my $300 Shures.

xclusive
Banned
Sep 21, 2008, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ewiser View Post
Several 3rd party head sets for th iPhone http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=MTU2MzM2MA
Ya, I'd rather buy one of those 3rd party headphone than buying Apple headphone..never really liked their headphone's sound quality.

On another note I recently bought the Bose In Ear headphone and used it only for two days. That's because it says it's an in ear headphone, but I can tell u it's hard to keep it in your ears...so that sucked too...looking for a better in ear headphone now..

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 21, 2008, 01:03 PM

Try the Ultimate Ears I mention above.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2009, 08:11 PM

Ok, I have them.

1) As an iPhone, mic, answers exactly as std buds. Simply click the switch. Records voice into any app. (that I use from the app store)

2) As an iPod. Everything works per claims except you can't remotely control the volume. Very weird. A click in the center pauses/unpauses. 2 quick clicks, next song. 3 quick clicks, previous song.

So whats up with the volume? Does Apple think a remote volume control would encourage people to drive with the buds in for those without car jacks? Just seems so bizarre that all the functions work except remote volume.

Any with a workaround please PM me.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
So whats up with the volume?
Tooki already gave you a good answer to that question above. For the volume buttons to work the iPhone needs to recognize the headphone's encoding. But the iPhone's older than these headphones and obviously doesn't understand the encoding whereas the newer iPod touch does. Chances are the next iPhone will be able to use the volume buttons.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 09:29 PM

So it's a hardware issue. I see now.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

HenryMelton
Jan 3, 2009, 02:54 PM

I'm using the new Apple in-ear buds. I like them. Comfortable for long listening periods. As mentioned above, the only problem with the iPhone is that the volume controls don't work, but since that's easy on the phone itself with exterior buttons, I don't mind.

I also use them on my unibody Macbook Pro, and I do use the volume controls there.

I really like them, especially since the standard iPhone earphones are painful to use in my ears -- just a physical mismatch for me.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 08:09 AM

If I wanted to shell out $200, I'd get another pair of B&O's. I like them because they are endlessly adjustable and in-ears never stay in my apparently oddly-shaped ears. Sound quality in a headphone? Best I've owned ever, but got stolen from gym a couple of years ago. I haven't had the heart to invest this kind of money on headphones since.

Bang & Olufsen
ebuddy

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 08:24 AM

I have the new Apple in-ear buds and I'm pretty happy with them. I was replacing an older non-functioning pair of V-Moda Vibe Earbuds. I really liked the V-Moda but given the positive feedback of the new apple in-ear buds I wanted to try them. The sound quality is excellent, and I'm happy I went with them.

I use them for both my iPod and iPhone
~Mike

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2009, 12:01 PM

i have the Etymotic ER-6i version of these - works great on the subway. Filters out all the crazies.
I prefer the foam inserts personally.

Ultimate Buds

Forum Links
Forum Rules