Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Russian Connection

The Russian Connection (Page 15)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2017, 11:14 PM

Jr said that is why he went to meet the lawyer, then found otherwise. A pox on both houses.
http://www.businessinsider.com/magni...meeting-2017-7
Donald Trump Jr. said he met with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya last June at Trump Tower to discuss compromising information she said she had on Hillary Clinton, but was disappointed when she changed the subject to Russia's adoption policy.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 07:00 PM

I've been wondering about this. One of things that I found interesting about the Trump/Russia collusion story is the GOPs most notorious Russophile was nowhere to be found. Now, that could be chalked up to good compartmentalizing by the Russians.

This dropped today:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/03/...investigation/
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher met with the Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya during a 2016 trip to Moscow, a previously undisclosed tête-à-tête that sheds additional light on the extent to which Moscow-based political operatives sought to influence American officials in the run-up to last year’s presidential election.
Small world. Nothing to connect him with the Trump campaign, but it's a not-so-subtle reminder that you shouldn't trust a word that comes out of this guy's mouth.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The meeting with the Russian lawyer who was seeking relief for adoptions had no dirt,
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Explain this morality where Don Jr's intent is irrelevant.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Or try to explain to your wife that you just failed at cheating at her, and that the woman you met with in secret was in the end just interested in “being friends”. Do you think she'll be understanding or do you think she'll be hurt and furious?
In case this got lost on the new page.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 08:19 AM

At least Russia keeps the conspiracy nuts on the Left occupied, much like the Right's Birthers.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
At least Russia keeps the conspiracy nuts on the Left occupied, much like the Right's Birthers.
Terrible equivalency.

The birther movement never got the FBI/CIA/NSA onboard to agree that something happened. You probably know this though and are just trolling us with your certainty that you know better.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Terrible equivalency.

The birther movement never got the FBI/CIA/NSA onboard to agree that something happened. You probably know this though and are just trolling us with your certainty that you know better.
Actually, it’s not. Both the birther and Russian collusion conspiracy theories were cooked up by Democrat operatives, Clapper being the father of the current theory.

Why do you think Obama went after Sheriff Joe? He was getting close to the truth!
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2017, 10:26 AM

Actually, it’s not. Both the birther and Russian collusion conspiracy theories were cooked up by Democrat operatives, Clapper being the father of the current theory.

Why do you think Obama went after Sheriff Joe? He was getting close to the truth!

You'll excuse me if I don't put a ton of credence into the conspiracies you peddle coming from a guy that thinks that climate change is a massive global conspiracy among tens of thousands of scientists.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 10:34 AM

They’re not my theories. They were cooked up by Democrat toadies in 2008 and 2016.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 10:36 AM

Geez, stop quoting besson, I have him perma-blocked for a reason, his cognitive dissonance hurts my head.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2017, 09:05 PM

If when this is over dirt isn't found on Nunes I'll be surprised. Guy is doing a full court press to protect Trump.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2017, 11:50 AM

Obama era FBI had evidence of bribery, and sat on it.
http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...administration
Before the Obama administration approved a controversial deal in 2010 giving Moscow control of a large swath of American uranium, the FBI had gathered substantial evidence that Russian nuclear industry officials were engaged in bribery, kickbacks, extortion and money laundering designed to grow Vladimir Putin’s atomic energy business inside the United States, according to government documents and interviews.

Federal agents used a confidential U.S. witness working inside the Russian nuclear industry to gather extensive financial records, make secret recordings and intercept emails as early as 2009 that showed Moscow had compromised an American uranium trucking firm with bribes and kickbacks in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, FBI and court documents show.

They also obtained an eyewitness account — backed by documents — indicating Russian nuclear officials had routed millions of dollars to the U.S. designed to benefit former President Bill Clinton’s charitable foundation during the time Secretary of State Hillary Clinton served on a government body that provided a favorable decision to Moscow, sources told The Hill.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 18, 2017, 12:07 PM

I've read the article. Nowhere does it specify that the FBI told the administration what it found out. Which is concerning as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2017, 05:36 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.66e62a4b7614
President Trump plans to spend at least $430,000 of his personal funds to help cover the mounting legal costs incurred by White House staff and campaign aides related to the ongoing investigations of Russian meddling in last year’s election, a White House official said.
*cut to after Trump is exonerated*
"Here's my legal bill, Mr. President."
"Good luck with that."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2017, 01:10 PM

Time for Mueller and Rosenstein to resign or recuse themselves.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2017, 09:49 PM

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...banned-america
In the wake of Canada’s new Magnitsky act, Putin has tried again. Tried for a fifth time. Interpol has accepted his request. Worse, the U.S. government seems in partnership with the Kremlin: Our government has revoked Browder’s visa. (American-born, Browder is a British citizen.)
Uhhh

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2017, 05:45 PM

NBC is reporting that Mueller is investigating Tony Podesta.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2017, 10:53 PM

Clinton campaign and the DNC behind dossier.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.91366f3a12bd
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2017, 11:10 PM

Was this supposed to be a surprise?

An oppo file on the Republican candidate for president was paid for by Democrats?

OreoCookie
Oct 25, 2017, 03:43 AM

@Chongo
I thought it was clear for several months that the Steele dossier was part of the DNC's oppo research on Trump. What's new about that now?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2017, 06:17 AM

That WAPO is reporting that they paid for it.
45/47

andi*pandi
Oct 25, 2017, 08:21 AM

Fusion GPS’ work researching Trump began during the Republican presidential primaries when the GOP donor paid for the firm to investigate the real estate tycoon’s background.

Fusion GPS did not start off looking at Trump’s Russia ties, but quickly realized that those relationships were extensive, according to the people familiar with the matter.

When the Republican donor stopped paying for the research, Elias, acting on behalf of the Clinton campaign and the DNC, agreed to pay for the work to continue.

The Democrats paid for research, including by Fusion GPS, because of concerns that little was known about Trump and his business interests, according to the people familiar with the matter.

These people said it is standard practice for political campaigns to use law firms to hire outside researchers in order to ensure their work is protected by attorney-client and work product privileges.

The Clinton campaign paid Perkins Coie $5.6 million in legal fees from June 2015 to December 2016, according to campaign finance records, and the DNC paid the firm $3.6 million in ‘‘legal and compliance consulting’’ since Nov. 2015 — though it’s impossible to tell from the filings how much of that work was for other legal matters and how much of it related to Fusion GPS.

At no point, these people said, did the Clinton campaign or the DNC direct Steele’s activities. They described him as a Fusion GPS subcontractor.
from the globe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Was this supposed to be a surprise?

An oppo file on the Republican candidate for president was paid for by Democrats?
The surprise is Soros didn't pay.

Just wait til they realize the FBI paid Steele to keep going after the election.

OreoCookie
Oct 25, 2017, 11:19 AM

That WAPO is reporting that they paid for it.
Again, I thought that this was clear months ago and I don‘t see what the news is now the story as I remember is this: the Democrats (or some PAC or super PAC associated with the Clinton campaign) had paid Steele to get opposition research. They decided against using it in the campaign and Steele tried to get various publications to publish it. Until one eventually did and we had to endure pee jokes for a while. What is the story now? That the WP pinpointed the exact organization or person who footed the bill? (I don‘t want to come across as aggressive, I honestly don‘t get what is new.)

andi*pandi
Oct 25, 2017, 11:40 AM

In the primaries, Steele etc was paid by the GOP.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017, 03:39 AM

Mueller has filed his first charges under seal, so we don't know who's going to be arrested, or for what. Speculation is the arrest(s) will happen Monday.

It's interesting that the news hit late Friday - perhaps someone is supposed to squirm over the weekend. Or they want to see who makes a run for the airport.

Anyway, fun times begin Monday.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2017, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
In the primaries, Steele etc was paid by the GOP.
The Washington Free Beacon has copped to paying Fusion for standard oppo research. This was before Steele was brought into the picture. The Steele Dossier is 100% Clinton/DNC property. Several millions worth.
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2017, 05:28 PM

So, who's getting charged tomorrow? I haven't read it, but I heard Trump's twitter feed was atypical which some were taking as a sign of anxiety.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Mueller has filed his first charges under seal, so we don't know who's going to be arrested, or for what. Speculation is the arrest(s) will happen Monday.

It's interesting that the news hit late Friday - perhaps someone is supposed to squirm over the weekend. Or they want to see who makes a run for the airport.

Anyway, fun times begin Monday.
I think conventional wisdom says its Manafort – we already know they did a morning raid on his house. Next would be Flynn, since he is the only other one with citable conflicts and violations of law. I read that Flynn, Jr deleted his twitter account, so I'm actually leaning towards it being him.

Firstly, Jr. was Flynn's CoS, and seems to be in as deep as his father. Picking him up instead puts pressure on Flynn, assuming that's what Mueller wants.

---

I do have to say, I'm perplexed by media reaction to the news. A good amount seem to think that the news of the past week was the administration, if not the GOP establishment and media, trying to change the topic pre-emptively. I'm skeptical because I wonder how they could know before the rest of the media.

That said, Roger Stone going apoplectic over the news warms my heart. He's too crazy to read too much into it, but with his passing communications to Guccifer and Assange, if this hole goes deep I have to imagine he has a chance of being implicated.

---

Oh, some conspiracy fodder: Dana Boente resigned as US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia. Rumor is the admin wanted to be able to name his replacement. I can only infer that his territory has overlap with Washington politicos.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2017, 08:06 PM

Trump is taking it well also

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2017, 09:36 PM

Ask not what your president can do for you, but what you can do for your president.

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Trump is taking it well also
The sad (or should I say SAD!) thing is that I often don't know which of these screengrabs is fake and which is real.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2017, 09:51 PM

That's from a bot tat automatically transcribes his tweets into official statements because the White House said all his tweets are official.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2017, 10:01 PM

I think the real speculation isn't about who got indicted – its how will Trump react. People still think he'll go full bore and fire Mueller. I just don't buy it.

I'll be impressed if he has the cahones to just pardon whoever gets hit tomorrow.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2017, 10:25 PM

He won't seriously consider firing Muller until he's one step away from his family. These indictments will be low-level stooges.

The pardon issue will hinge on it being a poison pill for a 5th Amendment defense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2017, 10:28 PM

bot tat

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2017, 10:30 PM

I think the real speculation isn't about who got indicted – its how will Trump react. People still think he'll go full bore and fire Mueller. I just don't buy it.
Don't be too sure. Conservative media have started their smear campaign against Mueller, including claims that because some of the investigation concerns the FBI, he can't be impartial. Honestly, I think Trump is more likely to issue blanket pardons. However, that may not be enough to get some people off the hook, because the scuttlebutt is that he is also looking into charging some people under state law — out of reach of the President's pardon powers. (Presidents can only issue pardons for federal offenses.)

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2017, 10:31 PM

That's from a bot tat automatically transcribes his tweets into official statements because the White House said all his tweets are official.
See, stuff like this completely effs with my brains.

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2017, 12:38 AM

The Washington Free Beacon has copped to paying Fusion for standard oppo research. This was before Steele was brought into the picture. The Steele Dossier is 100% Clinton/DNC property. Several millions worth.
But none of this changes the fundamentals: oppo research in US politics is par for the course, and given Trump's business ties to Russia and other countries, and his history of shady business deals (so much so that Wayne Barrett published a book on that in 1992), I don't see why looking into this is weird. When Trump first threw his hat into the ring, it also wasn't just the Democrats looking into this, conservatives urged people to do the same. And calling that collusion like the National Review did in a recent column is highly misleading, and just designed to perpetuate false equivalencies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 09:47 AM

For context Stone founded a firm with Manafort. They're former business partners.

andi*pandi
Oct 30, 2017, 11:25 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 11:48 AM

Papadopoulos is the real stuff. I think I either read or posted something about him earlier in the thread. I believe he was a Trump staffer who repeatedly offered to set up a meeting with the Russians for dirt.

My impression at the time was that he was low level and while the article had his emails, not a single reply was included. To me, it made the Trump campaign look good - ignoring an offer to collude with a Russian.

Nothing I've read today changes that impression but it's worth noting he was arrested in late July and that didn't leak, and he's been cooperating since then.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 02:49 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/bystevere...63641870856192
U.S. District Court for D.C. has four sealed cases in its docket with case numbers between Papadopoulos' (182) and Manafort's (201).

reader50
Administrator
Oct 30, 2017, 03:53 PM

There's 18 case numbers between those two, and the 14 visible are unrelated. I wouldn't bet on this one. They could all be Trump-related, or none. It's plausible either way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 04:00 PM

The finer analysis I've heard since then is Manafort is part B of a sealed indictment and Gates wasn't A so there does appear to be at least one left.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 04:01 PM

Also credit to Mueller for keeping that Pop thing under wraps for three ****ing months.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 04:38 PM

The finer analysis I've heard since then is Manafort is part B of a sealed indictment and Gates wasn't A so there does appear to be at least one left.
NBC has sources saying A and B are the firms that worked with Manafort which includes Podesta Group

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2017, 07:06 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-jury-n816106
Sam Clovis, the former top Trump campaign official who supervised a man now cooperating with the FBI's Russia investigation, was questioned last week by special counsel Robert Mueller's team and testified before the investigating grand jury, a person with first-hand knowledge of the matter told NBC News.
The court documents unsealed Monday describe emails between Papadopoulos and an unnamed "campaign supervisor." The supervisor responded "Great work" after Papadopoulos discussed his interactions with Russians who wanted to arrange a meeting with Trump and Russian leaders.

Toensing confirmed that Clovis was the campaign supervisor in the emails.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2017, 07:09 PM

Papadopoulos is the real stuff. I think I either read or posted something about him earlier in the thread. I believe he was a Trump staffer who repeatedly offered to set up a meeting with the Russians for dirt.

My impression at the time was that he was low level and while the article had his emails, not a single reply was included. To me, it made the Trump campaign look good - ignoring an offer to collude with a Russian.

Nothing I've read today changes that impression but it's worth noting he was arrested in late July and that didn't leak, and he's been cooperating since then.
On the other hand, why would a campaign keep around a guy who kept offering to collude with the Russian? Wouldn't you cut him loose to limit your exposure? They certainly claim he wasn't worth much to them.

OreoCookie
Oct 31, 2017, 08:03 PM

On the other hand, why would a campaign keep around a guy who kept offering to collude with the Russian? Wouldn't you cut him loose to limit your exposure? They certainly claim he wasn't worth much to them.
That's assuming the people who ran the campaign and were involved are criminal masterminds. If you add a dab of incompetency and bit of arrogance, I can see how it played out the way it did.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That's assuming the people who ran the campaign and were involved are criminal masterminds.
I'll challenge this – I don't think it takes a mastermind to say, "Hey let's get rid of the guy who keeps nagging us with his horrible idea. It's annoying"

Forum Links
Forum Rules