Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't get the classic mode to work

Can't get the classic mode to work
sascho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 04:03 PM

I am really running out of ideas what to do. I have an iBook 700MHz, 12.1" (yes, my first Mac) and everything is working superb, but I don't get the classic mode running under OS X 10.2. I did a complete new installation, partitioned the drive, without success. Please install OS 9.1 is the message I get. When I try to boot the Mac from the OS9 installation CD (with pressing C during startup or choosing it as a startup drive) I only get a question mark for a bit, and then the machine starts in OS X again. Also, I uninstalled OS X and deleted everything from the drive, and booted from the OS9 CD, but then the machine hangs with the question mark forever. The OS X CD boots without problems.

I have a program I urgently need to use and it only works under OS9. Any ideas what to do?

Many thanks,
Sascho

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2003, 10:43 PM

I don't think the 700MHz iBook will boot from an OS 9.1 CD. I think you need a 9.2 or later CD.

Chris

sascho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 04:47 AM

Is there any way I can fix that? In fact, all I really need is to get the classic mode working under OS X. Any ideas why after a normal installation it does not work? Did I maybe miss an option during the installation procedure?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 09:16 AM

Your 700MHz iBook did ship with an OS 9 CD, didn't it? That definitely should boot the computer.

If it didn't ship with an OS 9 CD, it certainly did ship with OS 9 preinstalled. You can restore the hard drive to it's factory state by running the Software Restore CDs that came with the iBook. Then update OS X to 10.2.6.

Chris

sascho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 05:23 AM

I bought the machine second hand, and no CDs came with it at all. I have original OS X 10.2 installation CDs and an OS 9.0.4 installation CD.I did download the 9.2.1 update but that is not gonna help if the OS9 CD does not boot. Is there any other way I can make this work at all or do I need to buy an OS 9.2 CD?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 10:39 AM

You need a 9.2.1 cd. Apple used to offer them for $20 to purchasers of Jaguar, but I think that ended back in March.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 11:03 AM

I think you're going to have to get a 9.2 CD from somewhere. I see them going on eBay (search for "Mac OS 9") for $30-$50. But before you do that, don't you have a Mac friend or users' group that might have a CD?

Forum Links
Forum Rules