Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > strange startup problem

strange startup problem
sub|urban
May 13, 2000, 02:48 PM

For a while now, every other startup presents me with a monitor resolution of 640x480 that cannot be changed back up to my default 1152x870. This is on every other startup, so my monitor resolution returns to 1152x870 on the next restart, and back to 640x480 on the next.
I've run Conflict Catcher, but nothing I've done has seemed to help. Also, maybe this is normal, in all of my web browsers (IE5 default) the pages redraw everytime I scroll down. I assume it's supposed to be seamless. Please help!
Thanks!

Cipher13
May 13, 2000, 08:19 PM

what specs you running? machine, system etc.

Cipher13

sub|urban
May 13, 2000, 09:02 PM

I'm running a non-upgraded 9600/350 with system 8.6
I was able to fix the redraw problem, but the resolution change on random startup still persists.

Cipher13
May 14, 2000, 05:30 AM

Nice machine - 6 PCI?
I would have said the prob might have been something with the VRAM not being able to support the 1152 resolution (the scrolling in Explorer thing made me think that, as I had a similar prob) but seeing as thats fixed, I can't say I have any idea...
Is the monitor an Apple monitor or 3rd party? This is a shot in the dark, but could it be something to do with the monitors internal settings (ie those set with the OSD controls), or something?
Try trashing the monitor configurations file, I can't remember what its called...something to do with ColorSync maybe? Been a while since I dealt with the problem you are having, I had it on a 7220/200 with a big screen...
If I remember more I'll post it...
Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules