Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Greetz :)

Greetz :)
daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2002, 03:15 PM

Hello all, Im brand new to this forum, so I just wanted to introduce myself Why am I new? well because I don't have a mac- yet Ive been an avid PC user for many many years, and now I feel the need to try something new. Ive been reading so much about macs lately, and I just love the design, and the polished OSX look (sortof like Xwindows). So I have been in a frantic search this past week to find an iBook, Ive been trying to trade a PC Laptop + some cash for one, I must have mailed about 30 people, and noone seems to be interested Which in one way is good, means that the mac community is rock solid, and I hope to be part of it, rather sooner than later I would think that by the end of next week or so, ill have manged to get my hands on an iBook (or by trading, or selling my current laptop), week after the next max. Im sure Ill report back here pretty often, because ill probably have alot of questions If in the mean time anyone has an extra ibook, or are upgrading to a powerbook, or whatever, mail me or PM me here please Im sure my future mac experience will be as great as my hopes are! Btw, i do have a little apple experience, I fondly remember playing Ultima I and wizardry on my older brother's Apple ][ E, still have it somewhere

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 03:29 PM

Well, excessive emoticon use aside, Welcome!
This forum is a great place to find hints, help, and general mischief and humor. Here are a few links to get you started:
www.dealmac.com for great prices on Macs, software, and peripherals.
www.ramseeker.com for the best RAM prices.
www.versiontracker.com for the latest software updates.
www.crazyapplerumors.com for a good daily laugh.
www.macintouch.com is the "original" news site, and still one of the best.
www.resexcellence.com to customize nearly every aspect of your Mac.

Have fun

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2002, 03:30 PM

Welcome!

I'd strongly suggest you find every extra dime you can and go for nothing less than a new iBook 800 - the 32MB of video memory will make an a ton of difference. I updated to the new iBook (800Mhz, 12.1") from my old iBook 700 (with only 16MB of video memory) and I am much happier with the speed. I don't know if you are familiar with Quartz Extreme (basically what speeds up the OS X UI significantly), but even though Apple says the "minimum requirements" are 16MB of video memory, they do recommend 32MB for best results (and it shows). I think you'd get more much milage out of OS X with a new iBook 800 and also have a lot more fun.

Keep the rubber side down!

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2002, 03:34 PM

Hey, thx for the prompt replies! Indeed, I really would love to get one with 32Mb video cards, also because I game alot (which was one of the main reasons why I hadnt switched yet), so that would help me I guess. And thanx for the links, Ill be sure to check them all out. I just can't wait, im soo impatient, hehe ..!

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by daSilVetZ:
Hey, thx for the prompt replies! :) Indeed, I really would love to get one with 32Mb video cards, also because I game alot (which was one of the main reasons why I hadnt switched yet), so that would help me I guess. And thanx for the links, Ill be sure to check them all out. I just can't wait, im soo impatient, hehe ..! :)
As you will see in these forums, many people chose to keep their PC for gaming. And it's very understandable why, there are considerably more games and better performance on them on the PC side.

But for everything else on the planet? Lord. My iBook is my savior. My computer hasn't had a problem while EACH of my roommates' computers have. One of them is overheating incredibly badly, and Dell has so far switched the motherboard 10 times, but refuses to do anything else, even though it's OBVIOUSLY not working.

Anyways, back on topic, iBook 800 - not a bad little gaming machine. Not all the games for PC are on Mac, so if you keep your PC for those games, we'll forgive you ;o)

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2002, 04:09 PM

lol, well yeah infact i was surely going to keep the desktop pc at least for gaming, and i was thinking that ill most probably be looking to get a 700 with combo drive (hopefully that is, if I find someone selling one not too expensive ). I had a few questions though, and forgive me if they have already been asked, or if they sound ridiculous (I have no idea when talking about macs ). So far Ive read that it's possible to upgrade the HD in the iBooks, aswell as upgrade the RAM. I was wondering if it would also be possible (whether hard or not) to change vid cards (like put a 32Mb radeon mobility pulled from another ibook, or from egay, or wherever), and if it is possible to overclock the cpu. Finally, with a budget of approx 800$usd + a pair of these : Altec Lansing surround speakers what should I be looking for max, used ibook-wise ? Would approx 900$USD (money + speakers; bit more bit less) buy me a 700 with combo drive? (Thank you applestore for those new prices ), or better? Thank you for your time,and even though Im still mac-less, i feel i could get used to this as my new home :')

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2002, 04:59 PM

The ATi controllers are soldered on the mobo, so no upgrades. You can overclock via software, but probably with limited success. So a search of this forum for "software overlock" for some older threads on the subject. I was able to get my 700 up to 750 but you need to do it for every boot and there are some other issues that kind of made it a pain in the ass.

Looking at eBay... the older 700 combos are still pulling in around $1000.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...combine=y&st=2

Keep the rubber side down!

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2002, 05:02 PM

Allright, thx for the info once again, I just hope to get an iBook soon, ive been jumping up and down for the past week, i wont stand the pressure for much longer

Forum Links
Forum Rules