Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where to buy RAM

Where to buy RAM
i_m_a_l_e_x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 03:50 PM

Hi,

I'm ready to buy some RAM for my new G5, but I'm a little hesitant about picking who to buy from because I've gotten some bad RAM in the past. Can anybody recommed an site that offers decent prices and quality memory? Does anyone out there who has already bought for their G5 have any advice?

Thanks a lot -- alex

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 04:04 PM

i've heard that http://www.crucial.com/index.asp is good.

bosolevu
Nov 2, 2003, 04:56 PM

I just bought and installed 1GB of RAM from OWC in my Dual 2GHZ G5 and it works just fine!

wily
Nov 2, 2003, 07:30 PM

There might be some arguement on this because of price, but you might want to check out Mushkin.

www.mushkin.com

Three things to note:

1. It's not cheap.

2. They might dicker on price.

3. Mushkin is top-notch and their service is equally so.

Hydra
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 07:41 PM

I think crucial is a no-brainer at this point. They are not the cheapest but they are far from overpriced. They sell specifically for the G5 and have an excellent reputation and customer service. Mushkin is top notch but at 50% more dollars I think crucial is a better deal.

-Jerry C.

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
I think crucial is a no-brainer at this point. They are not the cheapest but they are far from overpriced. They sell specifically for the G5 and have an excellent reputation and customer service. Mushkin is top notch but at 50% more dollars I think crucial is a better deal.
I've gotten RAM from both Mushkin (during a sale, I remember) and Crucial and have had equally good results with both. If you like top quality (well, who doesn't, but it comes with a premium) then go with the Mushkin. Otherwise, Crucial all the way.

x.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 08:56 PM

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 10:24 PM

I went through this last week and ended up buying from Crucial. You can get cheaper but by the time you include shipping, etc., they're only a few bucks more. Memory is their primary business and the service is top-notch.

Go to dealmac.com and do a search for a 5% off Crucial coupon.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 10:46 PM

One more vote for Crucial.

I've used them to add memory to three PowerMacs and one Dell laptop (my sister's) over the last few years, with narry a problem.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 11:38 PM

I've been buying my ram from http://www.datamem.com for years, never a problem, they really stand behind their product.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Forum Links
Forum Rules