Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > My music is slowly corrupting!

My music is slowly corrupting!
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 03:34 PM

A song will play in iTunes and come to a part where the music stops suddenly, much like a CD would if it cannot be read. iTunes will then go on to the next song like nothing happened. This is happening to MORE of my music as the months go by.

Some songs will only play for a second before 'skipping', some will play for a few minutes.

Has ANYONE ELSE noticed this? I have a large song library (5000) and I have no way to tell which songs are corrupted. And I don't know of any way to fix them!

The songs do the same thing on my iPod

Maybe someone would be willing to let me send them an MP3 that I know doesn't work and see it it plays on their computer.
( Last edited by MOTHERWELL; Jun 27, 2004 at 01:52 AM. )

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 06:01 PM

...so you're saying the music stops when the song is over and you have songs of varying length.

yukon
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 03:00 AM

run a disk check, clear out iTunes prefs. make sure it's not ending at the end of the duration of the file, but rather half way through the duration, if not then redownload/encode the audio.

if you have access to a windows box (UNIX tools lack in this area), run something like MP3Utility.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 10:08 AM

what version of itunes and with what OS?

I had that problem on my ipod and I repaired the database using iPodRip. Also somethings that cause it on an iPod are low battery life and bad sectors on the hard drive.

As far as iTunes upgrade to 4.6, run diskwarrior, drive10 or techtools if you have it. Do check the start and stop times of the songs. if it's more complex then that, Backup your iTunes library file it should be about 6 to 9MB and then reimport all your music by adding your iTunes Music folder to iTunes again so it remakes the library file and processes the songs again. if you are concerned with playcounts and ratings, use iPodRip to get your songs back in iTunes for it copies not just the song but the library file info too.

Instead of sending someone else an mp3, the start and stop time is in the iTunes library file. download another player and try that file with it if it still stops try copying the file somewhere else like to your desktop then try it. Just use itunes until you notice a song stop then mark it in comments. and make a smart playlist to find all the songs with that comment.

That is if you use a mac. if you use windows try as suggested MP3Utility. this is what my friend uses but I am not sure if it's the same as suggested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules