Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > i got mugged... : (

i got mugged... : (
iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 03:22 AM

so im out on location in an alley taking pictures for my next design project when this car pulls up to me asking if im taking pictures of their car. i said no, i was taking pictures of this dumpster with graffiti on it. the driver gets out and starts threatening my life...walks right up to me, i freeze, and he snatches my sony cyberslim straight out of my hand gets in his car and takes off. i get his plate and file a report to the cops so hopefully he gets whats coming to him soon. only concern is that theres a lot of pictures of me on the camera and i would hate it if he made an effort to find me after he gets harrassed by the cops. i feel soooo futile, like a little kid who got his milk money taken away by the school bully...what would you have done?
( Last edited by iREZ; Jan 17, 2007 at 03:32 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Seattle
Jan 17, 2007, 03:29 AM

I would have done the same as you did. That sucks you lost your camera though. I hope they catch them.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2007, 03:30 AM

You did the right thing according to the law, and the only thing an intelligent person fearing for his personal safety should do.

I personally probably would have stabbed him with my pocket knife.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 04:40 AM

No use getting yourself hurt (or worse) over a camera. You did the right thing. Go out tomorrow and get yourself a better camera... And put this behind you.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 04:40 AM

Sorry to hear about what happened. They will always get what's coming to them in the end, always.

About the camera, you have the serial number, right? You might want to post it here: http://www.photo.net/neighbor/registry/ just in case and keep an eye on craigslist/ ebay.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 04:53 AM

That really sucks.
Sorry to hear that happened, but at least you weren't hurt.
Like everyone else has said, it's only a camera. And that can be replaced.
You might also wanna check any nearby pawn shops.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 07:19 AM

I know it's not fun to feel less hero after a physical confrontation with someone more aggressive than you. you should take up fighting lessons in case it happens a second time
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 07:27 AM

Most dumb robbers just wipe it and sell it on!

i wouldnt worry but im sure the cops will ind the car dust it and find him. Take im to court get a settlement and buy yourself a real nice camera!! Or just claim on insurance if you have it?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 08:29 AM

I would have jumped him and pounded his face into the ground a couple of times, but I'm I big ol' guy from Texas, so your mileage may vary.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2007, 08:31 AM

wow, that sucks. Hopefully the cops will find him and throw his ass in jail.

Giving him the camera was the right thing to do.
Joe

Cipher13
Jan 17, 2007, 09:27 AM

Find out who he is.

Threaten HIS life.

I hate thieves. Kill them all.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 09:36 AM

Nice job getting the plate! You life is more important than a camera.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Find out who he is.

Threaten HIS life.

I hate thieves. Kill them all.
Exactly. Make buddies and find out who the plate belongs to. Then scope the area out for a few days. Then buy a few pistols, preferably glocks with double capacity clips, knock on the door wearing some sort of costume, shoot whoever answers, and kill everyone in there.

Then, take your camera back.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 09:44 AM

I think you did the right thing. Let the police handle it.

A while back in South Africa I got paid about R3,500 (around $600) and asked my mom to hold on to all, but R60 ($10) of it for me. I went to catch the train and on the way home two guys with knives came up to me. Thankfully all I had was the R60 on me.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 10:11 AM

Sounds like a mobster situation from a movie.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 10:52 AM

It's good that you had the plate number, assuming the plates are real.
If they are, I'd find out where he lives and set fire to his car. Then I'd wait for him to get another car, then I'd do the same thing again.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 10:54 AM

I'd have pulled out my katana's and cleaned them, if only my mom let me get them.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I'd have pulled out my katana's and cleaned them, if only my mom let me get them.
LOL
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 10:56 AM

find his car and spray paint I Love Cock on both sides.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 01:16 PM

hahahahahah.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:21 PM

Well if you got his plate and the car wasn't stolen I am sure they will get him.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

finboy
Jan 17, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I think you did the right thing. Let the police handle it.

A while back in South Africa I got paid about R3,500 (around $600) and asked my mom to hold on to all, but R60 ($10) of it for me. I went to catch the train and on the way home two guys with knives came up to me. Thankfully all I had was the R60 on me.
What if that hadn't been enough?

finboy
Jan 17, 2007, 01:22 PM

Rumor
Jan 17, 2007, 01:30 PM

There are two extremely sensitive danglies smack dab in between his legs. A foot there goes a long way.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2007, 01:35 PM

Lately a few of my co-workers have been mugged while leaving work. It's a long walk to where we park our cars, and the basic situation is just a car pulling up and a guy getting out with a gun demanding money. I've been putting my money in my sock and just leaving about $20 in my pocket in case they get me. Sure is a sad state of affairs. One of the guys even got dragged into the car at gunpoint and taken to the ATM to withdraw money. They tossed him from the car at more than 25MPH after they got what they wanted.

In any situation like that, if they don't have a gun or knife, god help them. I will unleash 155lbs of fury on scumbags like this, and I won't stop until I see fit.

EDIT: I've been carrying a rock with me every time I leave work, all the way to my car. If a car happens to stop ANYWHERE near me when I'm leaving work around midnight, they will get a rock hurled at them and right after that rock hits, I'll be following up with a fist through their jaw. I'm not into getting mugged.
ice

Rumor
Jan 17, 2007, 01:40 PM

Sounds like you should invest in some pepperspray, IE.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Lately a few of my co-workers have been mugged while leaving work. It's a long walk to where wEDIT: I've been carrying a rock with me every time I leave work, all the way to my car. If a car happens to stop ANYWHERE near me when I'm leaving work around midnight, they will get a rock hurled at them and right after that rock hits, I'll be following up with a fist through their jaw. I'm not into getting mugged.
Cars have jaws?!

Rumor
Jan 17, 2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Cars have jaws?!
Ever see Maximum Overdrive?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
It was all I had on me, so thankfully they were cool with that.
Not to put a damper on Cape Town's tourism, but the trains are horribly unsafe. A friend of mine was killed trying to help another friend who was being mugged.

After stuff like that you're okay giving away money to be able to walk off the train.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN

I have not seen it?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus

You should have pointed out that the camera was a Sony. He'd probably have just gotten back in his car and left.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:45 PM

zing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Then the thieves would have to go mug somebody else?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Ever see Maximum Overdrive?

but really, I mean to say that I'd throw the rock before anything even happened. too bad for them if they're just lost or something. It's a poorly-lit area and I'm not taking chances. Rock thrown, I approach with lightning speed and hopefully they're trying to exit their car at the time, as I'll ****ing kick the door shut on their leg, face or arm. I'll break them and ghostride their whip down the street.
ice

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:47 PM

I was just joshin'. I understood what you meant.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 02:25 PM

I almost got 'mugged' for my iPod in broad daylight downtown. Thankfully, I'm stubborn and told the guy to piss off. I wasn't giving up my iPod

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
You should have pointed out that the camera was a Sony. He'd probably have just gotten back in his car and left.
Ouch. I would go find him and dress up as a Jedi and then beat him with a fake lightsaber then throw him in a dumpster then ram the dumpster with his car then siphon the antifreeze then pour it over him slowly while demanding that he hand over your camera then take a lot of pictures of him in the dumpster with antifreeze then send him one picture a month for the rest of his life in jail.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Ouch. I would go find him and dress up as a Jedi and then beat him with a fake lightsaber then throw him in a dumpster then ram the dumpster with his car then siphon the antifreeze then pour it over him slowly while demanding that he hand over your camera then take a lot of pictures of him in the dumpster with antifreeze then send him one picture a month for the rest of his life in jail.

i LOVE it!

thankfully you were not hurt iRez. I know a couple of people who have been badly hurt during a mugging; and yes, it was only a camera. at least you get your (?deadline?) extended for a good reason. (working on field, deadline for something?)

Alex

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 08:05 PM

Dont rely on the cops for anything. I've had tons of expesive stuff stolen and every time the cops knew who it was and did nothing. One time I kid you not they told me who it was and told me to settle it myself and they would dismiss the case (against me).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 08:07 PM

Lately a few of my co-workers have been mugged while leaving work. It's a long walk to where we park our cars, and the basic situation is just a car pulling up and a guy getting out with a gun demanding money. I've been putting my money in my sock and just leaving about $20 in my pocket in case they get me. Sure is a sad state of affairs. One of the guys even got dragged into the car at gunpoint and taken to the ATM to withdraw money. They tossed him from the car at more than 25MPH after they got what they wanted.

In any situation like that, if they don't have a gun or knife, god help them. I will unleash 155lbs of fury on scumbags like this, and I won't stop until I see fit.

EDIT: I've been carrying a rock with me every time I leave work, all the way to my car. If a car happens to stop ANYWHERE near me when I'm leaving work around midnight, they will get a rock hurled at them and right after that rock hits, I'll be following up with a fist through their jaw. I'm not into getting mugged.
I`ve always been under the philosophy that my life is more important than money. Injuries hurt, and being injured sucks. If someone wants my money they can have it. If I get their car number, all the better. Back in the good old US of A I never carried more than $10 worth of cash on me because if someone did mug me, they wouldn`t get much. (As opposed to Japan where I often carry over $300 at a time with me because no one here uses cards!!!!! Curse you Japan!!!!)

If a man came for my camera I would give it to him.... but hopefully take the memory card out before hand....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 08:10 PM

Yeah, it was a smart move not trying to get overly aggressive in response. The few people in here talking about laying the smackdown have probably never looked down the barrel of a pistol and realized their life was in some idiot's hands. It was only a camera, and hopefully the car wasn't stolen and the police can track the guy.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, it was a smart move not trying to get overly aggressive in response. The few people in here talking about laying the smackdown have probably never looked down the barrel of a pistol and realized their life was in some idiot's hands.
My dad did that. He told the guy that he thought the gun was fake and basically told the guy to **** off.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Jan 17, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, it was a smart move not trying to get overly aggressive in response. The few people in here talking about laying the smackdown have probably never looked down the barrel of a pistol and realized their life was in some idiot's hands. It was only a camera, and hopefully the car wasn't stolen and the police can track the guy.

greg
iREZ never mentioned the guy had a gun.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jan 17, 2007, 08:28 PM

I've been mugged twice. (for less than $10)
The third time I was ready.
And I did leave the @sshole in a pool of his own blood.
Fist to the throat and continue to stomp and kick. With extreme predjudice.

And of you elect to carry a gun, you had better be ready to use it.
It's not an intimidation tool.
Ask my brother.

You'll never find the perp.
They have no addresses.
They "stay" places. Avoiding the system.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 08:40 PM

this was a mugging, but something's fishy there. he just grabbed the camera? didn't bother with your wallet?

reminds me *somewhat* of the bouncer taking the film out of my point and shoot when i absentmindedly took a picture of my girlfriend (who was seated at the table with me with her back to the bar with no other girls in sight) in a toronto strip club.

i can't help but wonder if there's something fishy in that alley going on. what kind of car was it?

dude, be careful out there. from what i've gathered, you work in a pretty upscale area, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that restaurant workers usually have a handful of cash on them at the end of a busy night. all told, i'm surprised i haven't heard stories like this before.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 17, 2007, 08:50 PM

time to get a tazer.. shoot that idiot in the nads and deliver 100,000 volts to his balls.. then maybe he wont mug ya

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
iREZ never mentioned the guy had a gun.
He never knew, did he?

In my experience, the type of people who are apt to walk up to random people and assault them often have some kind of weapon to back them up.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2007, 09:40 PM

A tazer is a very good idea. That will really send someone to the ground quicker than a lightsaber to the face or a cleated boot to the gonads.
Our bodies can tolerate pain more than electricity.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 09:46 PM

I'd like to think if I got mugged I'd do something cool and knock the guy out...but I doubt it

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 10:17 PM

basically i was taking pictures of a dumpster which was under some stellar light...this dude turned the corner bout 400yds away and ruined my light so i waited for him to pass so i could start shooting again...he stopped and started to ask if i was taking pictures of his car...mind you i was already there before he took the turn in to the alley...and i guess he didnt believe me and walked up to me threatening me, i was shocked and confused so i just froze...and he shoved me and snatched the camera at the same time and got back in his car still threatening me and took off. if the police dont do anything...this guys getting a brick thrown through his car window once my friends sister in law gets his address for me (she works at the dmv).

im going back to the alley again tonight to wrap up my photos...but this time im carrying a 2" knife incase i run into this douche bag again.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules