Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > an annoying little finder bug

an annoying little finder bug
hodaddy
Jan 15, 2001, 09:44 PM

open a folder containing at least one other folder. set it to view as list. then turn down the little triangle to view its contents. then SINGLE-click any item on the desktop or any other folder or item and the command is treated as a DOUBLE-click.

am able to repeat this little feat on several machines. anyone else?

note: only works when the single-click is applied to an item or folder on the same drive as the folder with the turned-down folder.
if it aint' broke, break it.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2001, 10:09 PM

roger that. that's a bug alright, but at least it's benign!

-r.

namannik
Senior User
Jan 15, 2001, 11:26 PM

OK???

Lint
Jan 15, 2001, 11:40 PM

Confirmed here.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 11:47 PM

Is that a bug ir a feature?

I noticed that if you place an alias to the Utilities folder in in your Apple Menu items and restart it will not have hierarchal menus until you turn them off then on again via the Apple menu control panel...rather annoying.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2001, 11:48 PM

yep. That's an odd one.

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jan 16, 2001, 01:20 AM

I have it too... Weird.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 01:46 AM

count me on this!!!!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

elzinat
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2001, 02:50 AM

heeheehee

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 10:21 AM

What about the sound sets? Have you been able to use them in 9.1?

Heimir

Lint
Jan 16, 2001, 01:32 PM

I had a friend check this and it didnt happen to him but he also said he did a clean install.

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 03:33 PM

9.1 seems to have trouble with older preferences on a lot of system components; try trashing your Apple Menu Prefs and see if you can reproduce the problem.

-p

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2001, 03:45 PM

Yup - me too! Very cool, in a wierd sorta way! =8> )

Scott

zita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 04:15 PM

doesn't bother me.

hodaddy  (op)
Jan 16, 2001, 09:56 PM

tried trashing the apple menu prefs as suggested by pcurtner...no affect on my machine.....bug still present.

with some people not being affected, i am curious. because, the bug is still present on my machine with the extensions disabled.

so, no i offer this question: my last clean install was from the os9 disk. i then updated to os9.04. i then installed OSXb (on the same drive). then, i updated 9.04 to 9.1. anyone else follow this path of upgrade? how about those of you without the bug?
if it aint' broke, break it.

the siren
Jan 17, 2001, 01:37 AM

i have the triangle/double click bug, but i just did a clean install of 9.0.3 to 9.0.4 to 9.1. Im using Action Menu's , so i can't confirm the other issue.

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2001, 09:13 AM

That bug/feature may not bother most of us here, but what a TRAP for the unsuspecting newbie...
Imagine you want to throw away something buggy and clicking on it OPENS it instead.

PS: what happens if you have other items selected and you SHIFT-click on an additional item? Do any then act like they were double-clicked?
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2001, 08:08 PM

Can't make it happen. But then I constantly remove prefs when there has been a crash that have modification date close to time happened, and I did clean install of full 9.1 which arrived.

Maybe there's something else?

Gregory

Phaedrus
Jan 17, 2001, 08:50 PM

open a folder containing at least one other folder. set it to view as list. then turn down the little triangle to view its contents. then SINGLE-click any item on the desktop or any other folder or item and the command is treated as a DOUBLE-click.

Same quirk on my system...how cool! It doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to know why.

I'm using 9.1, updated from 9.0.4 (not a clean install). All system software is completely up to date.

What's everyone else using?

you're all morons
Jan 18, 2001, 03:53 PM

why would anyone ever do this sequence of actions? who cares?

Number41
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 04:10 PM

Yep, I have it, too. 9.1 updated from 9.0.4. However, I notice that if you single-click on *any* item (to select) in the window with the turned-down folder, then the bug doesn't happen; i.e.: Open a disk/folder with View as List, turn down a folder triangle, single-click on any item within the open window, then single-click on an item on the Desktop -- the item on the Desktop will not open, simply highlight. But the bug sure does happen if you just turn down a folder triangle and then click an item on the Desktop.

note: only works when the single-click is applied to an item or folder on the same drive as the folder with the turned-down folder.
Not true! I have an external Firewire drive, so I opened it up (its root level is set to List view), turned down a folder triangle (my MP3s folder), and then single-clicked on a PDF file on the Desktop that is stored on my boot drive (internal ATA). The PDF file opened right up in Acrobat. Yes, that's right: The window with the turned-down folder and the file on the desktop are on two different disks.

------------------
Number41
Number41

elzinat
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2001, 04:30 PM

this happens when you click on any icon not in the active window immediately after turning a blue triangle (open or closed, it doesn't matter).

it seems to be OS 9.1 specific? I have not been able to reproduce it on computers running earlier versions of the OS.

in truth, I am really happy this strange random bug has been discovered. I hope it is never removed. I like things like that.

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Phloppy
Jan 18, 2001, 04:47 PM

I've got it too. I'm willing to bet anyone that does it right also has the same problem. My course of upgrades goes 9.0 -> 9.0.4 -> 9.1

------------------
/phloppy :: [email protected] :: sasquatchamo

mrsimon
Jan 18, 2001, 06:58 PM

That sure is a weird one.

G3 450 (B&W) 9.1 update.
-mr.simon

fritzair
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2001, 07:21 PM

Not happening on my machine.

tdominey
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2001, 07:35 PM

Yep. Does it on mine too. Funny.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

batguano2000
Jan 18, 2001, 11:00 PM

I have it too... and as someone else mentioned, whatever you click after doesn't need to be on the same drive (not on my iMac 333 9.0.4 -> 9.1 machine anyway).

One other bug I noticed was in the energy control saver. I have my display set to shut off after 30 min. After the upgrade, it did not shut off at the appointed time. I had to turn off monitor sleep and turn it back on again to get it to work. I guess it is another example of 9.1 troubles with older prefs.

Has anyone noticed system bombs with 9.1 and Explorer 5? I have had a couple with my iMac and my G4 and I am not sure if it is the upgrade or not.

------------------

mrfcobf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 08:23 AM

Yep - happens on my machine too. I had to do it twice though in two different folders to make it happen. It also has to be done immediately after clicking the carrot. I'm sure it happens on anyone's machine who does it right.

Another bug: I like to delete my remote access activity log. At times, I'll hit command L while its still in the process of disconnecting. I hit clear right after idle then ok and close. I like to keep it clear at the office. (Don't need them saying "you were online for HOW LONG?") If you clear it before it finishes and goes to idle, it won't log at all anymore after that and eventually will corrupt your other remote access prefs including your locations file and you'll lose all of your dialup numbers! Quite a pain in the butt on a laptop!

Seems 9.1 has some problems with various types of prefs files.

As for the IE5 someone mentioned, it's an IE/Entourage/Outlook Express problem. If you're running IE5 with either of those two email clients you'll occasionally have type 10's and/or boxes with no errors but crashes. Supposedly Microsoft is working on a fix according to an email I got from them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules