Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Rumor

iPhone Rumor
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2008, 01:58 PM

I was at an AT&T store Friday night and asked the sales rep about the iPhone. He said he "heard" that a new one will be out Tuesday with 32gb or storage but that is all he knew. That seems like it could be true but I can't wait to hear. Once my tax refund is in I plan to get one.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 02:14 PM

An increase in storage to 16 or 32 GB is very likely.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 02:21 PM

Well, I just bought one so it'll probably happen.
iamwhor3hay

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable View Post
Well, I just bought one so it'll probably happen.
ditto
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 03:11 PM

the thing with rumours like this is that more often them not, these supposed "insiders" are just spouting what they read on the Internet like all the rest of us.

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2008, 05:20 PM

I wouldn't vouch for an AT&T Rep

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
I was at an AT&T store Friday night and asked the sales rep about the iPhone. He said he "heard" that a new one will be out Tuesday with 32gb or storage but that is all he knew. That seems like it could be true but I can't wait to hear. Once my tax refund is in I plan to get one.
AT&T reps wouldn't know. A manager might, but a normal sales guy wouldn't until the day of.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 07:54 PM

A store manager most likely would not know either. I doubt even an Apple store manager would know until the day of.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 08:56 PM

Ya great way to get all the Xmas ones returned.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2008, 10:05 PM

Was it an actual AT&T store, or an "authorized reseller?" Was this phone guy about 24 or more like 35? How much did he know about anything else?

Sure, it'd be really cool to get that much memory, but I wouldn't hock the farm today to pay for "tomorrow's new iPhone."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
A store manager most likely would not know either. I doubt even an Apple store manager would know until the day of.
Occasionally they know before hand. Apple store managers sometimes have training with the device before hand as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Occasionally they know before hand. Apple store managers sometimes have training with the device before hand as well.
I'd agree if the rumor were about something other than an "enhanced" version of the existing iPhone. Since it's just that, I doubt it would take any training to prepare the sales force to train customers-probably just a handout with "features and highlights" is all that would be needed. You're right in general, but I'm still waving that "BS" flag over this specific rumor.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 12:10 PM

It's inevitable that new iPhones are coming, but even if they are announced, they are still likely to be a ways off, which is why I say that they won't be announced at MacWorld. Apple doesn't need to have tons of inventory held back because customers are waiting for better phones. I think new iPhones will be announced and released on the same day and in a "Special Event". And I think it's going to be about 6 months from now.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 04:14 PM

Clearly not today...

QS

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2008, 07:14 PM

It's possible that there could be a silent update later this week, but I'd bet a whole quarter against it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It's possible that there could be a silent update later this week, but I'd bet a whole quarter against it.
Absolute earliest is feb when the developer kit starts shipping my I am willing to bet the next upgrade is just to 16 gigs and will come march/april.

The iPhone is selling like mad in the current form so why the need for new models?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
Just for the record I know the guy who is one of the leads at Apple Canada. He told me the staff there all watch the keynote when it is streamed live to find out what's new and don't have a SINGLE bit of information on upcoming products before the keynote. NOTHING. The same is also the case for 90% of the people who work at Apple headquarters.

If they don't know in advance some dork at AT&T won't either.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Absolute earliest is feb when the developer kit starts shipping my I am willing to bet the next upgrade is just to 16 gigs and will come march/april.

The iPhone is selling like mad in the current form so why the need for new models?
Bingo. They don't just come out with cool stuff-they come out with cool stuff that there is a demand for. If an 8GB iPhone is hard to keep in stock, they're not likely to move really fast in bringing out one with twice the memory. Not until things slow down a bit with the 8GB model.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 10:52 PM

I'm putting my money on an update after the 3rd party apps start coming out. Who knows how large some of those apps could be... You'll need all the memory you can get your hands on!

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
If they don't know in advance some dork at AT&T won't either.
Before I bought my iPhone three months ago, I went to a couple of AT&T stores and one Apple store because I was specifically trying to determine whether an iPhone could sync to a Mac for iTunes media and a peecee for calendar and contact info (it can and it works fine). I found AT&T stores not only had less info than Apple stores but gave me outright bad info (some might say they were lies, but let's charitably assume AT&T personnel had incomplete training). A couple of whoppers:

- Sync to two computers? An iPhone can only sync to one computer and it must be a Mac.
- It's very difficult to port numbers from another provider. We recommend that all iPhone buyers set up new numbers.

We all know that info from Apple stores (even Apple Genii) is sometimes wrong but I think we're far more likely to get useable info from them than AT&T. That being said, there's no way either outfit at the retail level has advanced knowledge of anything prior to MWSF. Like someone said earlier, they must have gotten it from a rumor site.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules