Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are 3ccd videocams worth the price?

Are 3ccd videocams worth the price?
amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 10:32 AM

Do they work with ichatAV?

The online reviews sound good but is anyone out here using one of these bad boys?

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2004, 10:47 AM

Why would you want to use such a highend video camera with iChat?

It all depends on the type of video work you want to do.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 10:50 AM

well ichat is just another requirement on the side not very important but will be cool if it is supported. just want to invest in a cam that is good for low light as well.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 10:53 AM

Yes, if you really think you need one. If its firewire, it'll work with iChat. Probably.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 10:56 AM

I've used my Panasonic AG dvx100. It is a high end camera that has low light mode too. SO much of the picture quality in iChat is in the connection, I honestly didn't see a huge difference with an iSight and the Panasonic camera. But, yes, it can be done.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 11:44 AM

Clubbing baby seals in a sig. Now thats a new one.

and funny.

Now to get working on my dolphins in a tuna net sig.....

(sarcasm. I really found it funny)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 3, 2004, 12:38 PM

Generally speaking, 3-CCD cameras are vastly superior to an otherwise-similar 1-CCD camera because they are capturing 3 times the image data, and because no de-Bayerizing has to be done, there are no color fringes. For professional-looking video, you want three CCDs.

That said, a 3-CCD camera won't do much for light sensitivity. The size of the photosites on the CCD are the primary factor there -- for low light, you'd want a large, low-resolution CCD, which is exactly what broadcast cameras use. Consumer cameras pretty much universally use small CCDs which are incapable of doing low light well.

Might I instead suggest that you get a good light source?

tooki

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 12:52 PM

I have a Canon GL2 I use mostly for shooting short films. It does a very good job. I also use it with iChat. It's no secret, the more light you have, the more control you'll have, the better result you'll get. Unless you want to use it for something other than iChat, it's not worth the money. Just get a good light source and a regular MiniDV cam will do a great job. Maybe with the advent of Tiger's iChat with the H.264 codec it will do a difference but a 3CCD camera is overkill for video chat only.

Forum Links
Forum Rules