Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Changing volume with Front Row and Airport Expres

Changing volume with Front Row and Airport Expres
macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 10:30 AM

Hi,

I have an Intel iMac and an Airport Express in the Kitchen. It seems that changing the volume on Front Row doesn't change the volume of the music coming out of my Airport Express speakers. Does anyone else have this problem or no of a fix?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006, 12:58 PM

there's an option in iTunes to control remote speaker volume. Uncheck the 'disable iTunes volume control for remote speakers' option and you should be able to change the volume on your kitchen speakers via the iMac.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006, 01:01 PM

*bump* for some reason the forum isn't showing this thread as replied to.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

macrophyllum  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 01:10 PM

Thanks for suggestion. I tried unchecking-checking it off and still when I change the volume with Front Row the volume doesn't change the remote speaker volume. If I change the volume directly in iTunes, the remove volume changes. Does anyone else have this problem with Front Row?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 01:34 PM

When you change the volume using the FR remote, the SYSTEM volume is changed. The volume slider you see in iTunes does not change, only the overall system volume does, so changing the volume using the remote will not affect the volume of your airport express speakers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

macrophyllum  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the explanation. That is too bad that the volume only changes the system volume, I wonder when that is helpful, I guess if you have speakers hooked up directly to your Mac running Front Row.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 03:11 PM

Yes, I don't use airport express, so its not a problem for me, but I like the fact my remote does the system volume, as it lets me control the volume of anything coming out of my speakers, from music, to movies, to those annoying sounds Adium messenger plays.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Yes, I don't use airport express, so its not a problem for me, but I like the fact my remote does the system volume, as it lets me control the volume of anything coming out of my speakers, from music, to movies, to those annoying sounds Adium messenger plays.
If you think they're annoying, just change them...
http://www.adiumxtras.com/ and click on Soundsets. (Or you can just select "none" as a soundset right now from within Adium)

Forum Links
Forum Rules