Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Over 1,200 people have filled out the whine poll

Over 1,200 people have filled out the whine poll
sladnas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2006, 12:35 AM

Thanks a bunch to all that have. We've got over 1,200 data samples! For those MacBook Pro user's that haven't already, please stop by and fill out the poll (takes 15 seconds!).

http://furrybeanbag.com/macbookprowhinepoll

- Mark

skyman
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by sladnas
Thanks a bunch to all that have. We've got over 1,200 data samples! For those MacBook Pro user's that haven't already, please stop by and fill out the poll (takes 15 seconds!).

- Mark
Apple will have to do something about this. It is not a matter of if but when.

I am on my 4th whiney MBP.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2006, 03:06 PM

Yeah, sooner or later they will have to listen to the likes of a furry bean bag

sladnas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by elcheapo
Yeah, sooner or later they will have to listen to the likes of a furry bean bag

Its that or I move it over to crapple.com

PeterKG
Senior User
May 7, 2006, 09:09 PM

- Mark

Is this 1200 samples put in by 600 people? Let's say there are actually 600 units out of 1200 posts, out of how many thousands sold to date? It's obvious the percentage is very small.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
Is this 1200 samples put in by 600 people? Let's say there are actually 600 units out of 1200 posts, out of how many thousands sold to date? It's obvious the percentage is very small.
Very good point, Apple has likely sold AT LEAST 15,000-30,000 units already (they sell 1,000,000 Macs a QUARTER lately, most of them portables...you do the math) , this constitutes less than a 10% problem based on this poll...which, the poll itself means absolutely nothing.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 10:10 PM

Mind you that doesn't mean only 1200 people have the whine issues. that's 1200 people who have the problem, are irritated enough by it to search about it online, and are aware of that particular poll. That's still a lot of people.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

PeterKG
Senior User
May 7, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cory Bauer
Mind you that doesn't mean only 1200 people have the whine issues. that's 1200 people who have the problem, are irritated enough by it to search about it online, and are aware of that particular poll. That's still a lot of people.
No, it means that the site had 1200 hits. Those hits could have been made by one person, five hundred persons, or the least likely, 1200 persons.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 11:16 PM

While it's a shame the results don't limit one submission per person, I really doubt the results are being dramatically skewed by individuals voting several times. While there may be one or two people who have the time and desire to skew the results, I really don't believe it would add up to more than 100 duplicate submissions. But perhaps there's a lot more 18-25 year olds with nothing better to do than I want to believe.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

sladnas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cory Bauer
While it's a shame the results don't limit one submission per person, I really doubt the results are being dramatically skewed by individuals voting several times. While there may be one or two people who have the time and desire to skew the results, I really don't believe it would add up to more than 100 duplicate submissions. But perhaps there's a lot more 18-25 year olds with nothing better to do than I want to believe.
Actually, it limits an IP to one submission per hour. This is to help shield from mass fake responses, and also account for people who may actually have more than one unit. I could change this to 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or never allow dups, but with most of us having DHCP at home, it wouldn't take much to spoil it. Without spending way more time than I have on designing an appropriate system for this...I think it's fine.

A quick check of the database shows that of 1436 current submissions, 1363 are from unique IP addresses (this is lower than I thought it would be...). Of course, this doesn't mean 1363 unique people. All of you could fill out the form at home, then at work, school, a library, etc. These things were taken into consideration when building the poll. It was meant more for community monitoring and data gathering. I'm not planning on submitting this as conclusive evidence to my attorney for a lawsuit.

While there is a larger number of responses for certain age groups, in a real study like this, you would need to take into consideration Apple's marketing profile for this product--e.g., the target demographic. It might be possible that 90% of the 18-25 age group is actually 22-25 year old college students. In other words: there is a whole lot more to consider than the data I'm collecting.

It is what it is. I think it's interesting, and I think the community will take it for what it is. Yes, it has flaws...just like my MBP.

Thanks for the interest everyone.
( Last edited by sladnas; May 11, 2006 at 11:18 PM. )

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 01:11 PM

sladnas, now that the 17" MacBook Pro's are arriving, you may want to add the option to choose 15" or 17" to your pole. You can assume that all votes thus far are for the 15". I believe this is important because, based on my 17" MacBook Pro that arrived Monday, I believe Apple has fixed the whine issues.

You're right about the 18-25 bracket as well. There's probably few 18 year olds with MacBook Pros, and that that category is dominated by mid-20's crowd.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2006, 02:27 PM

Actually, it limits an IP to one submission per hour. This is to help shield from mass fake responses, and also account for people who may actually have more than one unit. I could change this to 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or never allow dups, but with most of us having DHCP at home, it wouldn't take much to spoil it. Without spending way more time than I have on designing an appropriate system for this...I think it's fine.

A quick check of the database shows that of 1436 current submissions, 1363 are from unique IP addresses (this is lower than I thought it would be...). Of course, this doesn't mean 1363 unique people. All of you could fill out the form at home, then at work, school, a library, etc. These things were taken into consideration when building the poll. It was meant more for community monitoring and data gathering. I'm not planning on submitting this as conclusive evidence to my attorney for a lawsuit.

While there is a larger number of responses for certain age groups, in a real study like this, you would need to take into consideration Apple's marketing profile for this product--e.g., the target demographic. It might be possible that 90% of the 18-25 age group is actually 22-25 year old college students. In other words: there is a whole lot more to consider than the data I'm collecting.

It is what it is. I think it's interesting, and I think the community will take it for what it is. Yes, it has flaws...just like my MBP.

Thanks for the interesting everyone.
thank you for that information.
I think that it is a very good poll and at the very least it lets us know that this is not some thing that is a completely isolated problem.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 03:18 PM

That tells me that 46+ people are getting deaf!

Kyros
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 09:29 PM

So the older you are the less chance your MB Pro doesn't have a whine? Or maybe the older guys just can't hear it anymore.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Visnaut
Senior User
May 10, 2006, 10:17 PM

No, people in that age group just tend to whine more. ;-)

hldan
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 01:30 AM

The whine as you all call it is only a software issue and not hardware. I have a 15 MBP and I hear that sound as well but when I boot up to the Windows side I hear absolutely nothing. No matter what program or what I do while in Windows there's no whining sound. When I boot back up to the Mac side I hear the sound, it goes and comes espeically when I turn on photobooth. Apple will offer a software update soon but don't expect the computer to be replaced. This whine sound is not enough to irritate, people are just overreacting.
Everytime Apple comes out with a new computer and it makes any sound at all people complain and "whine" about everything.
If it's not the fans blowing to loud it's the HD or the optical drive or chirping or beeping or cow mooing sounds. Has anyone here tried playing a retail CD inside the pivoting arm iMac G4? It sounds like a jet engine and that's something to complain about but people accepted it and moved on. Apple fixed nothing about that.

Please people these are electronic devices, it's makes no sense for a computer to make no sounds.
( Last edited by hldan; May 11, 2006 at 01:38 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 03:04 AM

This has been discussed already. It is not a software issue, because the whine is caused by a trickle current in the MBPs circuitry. This is a real current that's running in real hardware and the issue can be solved by using modified components that prevent this current trickle.

The reason some (obviously including you) think it's a software issue is because software can cause the whine to stop. That's for the simple reason that when you use one of the software tricks (or boot Windows for that matter) this prevents the Core Duo from stepping into it's lowest sleep state and thus the trickle current doesn't occur and the whine stops.

This however does not mean at all that it is a software issue. It means that software preventing the proper deep sleep operation of the Core Duo can be used to get around the whine. It's a quick and dirty workaround. The proper fix would be using modified circuitry that doesn't have this trickle current when the Core Duo steps down. It is a hardware issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules