Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading the RAM - screw is stripped

Upgrading the RAM - screw is stripped
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 10:10 PM

So my dad has a brand new 15" 2.16 MBP and ordered it with 1gb of ram. I just ordered another gig for him and went to install it. I had the right size screwdriver (#00) and removed the first two screws without a problem, but the third screw simply wouldn't budge. After a lot of carefull twisting, the screw appears to be pretty much stripped. I really don't think there's any way I can get it out at all.

For now I have put the other screws back in and plan on heading out to a (somewhat) local Apple Store to have them fix it. I'd really like to know if this would be considered "abuse" by Apple and have them deny the repair under warranty. Anyone know what I'm in for when I get to the store tomorrow? I plan on bringing the screwdriver I used so they can't accuse me of using an incorrect tool to open it.

drewcifer
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 10:59 PM

doubt it.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 11:03 PM

most of the Techs are really cool about it and don't care... so i don't think it will be a problem.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by
So my dad has a brand new 15" 2.16 MBP and ordered it with 1gb of ram. I just ordered another gig for him and went to install it. I had the right size screwdriver (#00) and removed the first two screws without a problem, but the third screw simply wouldn't budge. After a lot of carefull twisting, the screw appears to be pretty much stripped. I really don't think there's any way I can get it out at all.

For now I have put the other screws back in and plan on heading out to a (somewhat) local Apple Store to have them fix it. I'd really like to know if this would be considered "abuse" by Apple and have them deny the repair under warranty. Anyone know what I'm in for when I get to the store tomorrow? I plan on bringing the screwdriver I used so they can't accuse me of using an incorrect tool to open it.
I had the exact same problem.

Those screws are so small and must have been installed with a 100LB torque wrench. It took a lot of effort to get all the screws out and I almost stripped them doing so. It is a very poor design on Apples part!

They are also a pain to put back in.

It is obvious with all the problems that users are experiencing the MBP was a rushed design and not tested very well.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

PeterKG
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by skyman
I had the exact same problem.

Those screws are so small and must have been installed with a 100LB torque wrench. It took a lot of effort to get all the screws out and I almost stripped them doing so. It is a very poor design on Apples part!

They are also a pain to put back in.

It is obvious with all the problems that users are experiencing the MBP was a rushed design and not tested very well.

Rushed design? The Powerbooks had screws too. What is wrong with the design? What does that have to do with a stripped screw?

Wow, my screw is stripped, so that means Apple is screwed up in their designs. Don't think so.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 11:01 AM

cant have been THAT careful twisting if the screws were stripped lol.

but yeah in your defence, from experience i confirm that the screws are rather soft and easy to destroy or damage. you gotta be a bloomin surgeon to do it without leaving a single mark on any screw as it is hard to get a screw driver that fits the slots perfectly (unless you have apple tech tools).

did it budge at all?

Should alwas get a tech to do stuff for you... that way if something goes wrong then its their fault

but you should be able to insert ram yourself though.. that was the whole point of making it possible.

No its not a design flaw. I reckon you just had a dodgy screw that got stuck. Mine opened up just fine with no problems.

They should be understanding about it.. but i reckon they may charge you for anything they do on it. I wonder if it is a warranty based case? i doubt it.

cheers,
robM

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 07:01 AM

I had the same problem. They took my Rev A PB to the back and came back out in just a minute with a new screw and all fixed up. I asked how they did that so quick. "Easy. We have a tool just for stripped screws like this." No questions asked; not a penny exchanged. I like the little things that the Apple store does for you.
Semper Fi

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 09:00 AM

Well, it's a Philips #0 that you should have been using, that's probably how it happened. Go to the Apple Store, they probably have some extras. Then go to sears and get a Philips #0 for the future.

I've worked on thousands of PowerBooks (and iBooks and MacBook Pros, etc)... ever once in a while you encounter a screw that's too tight... that's just how things are. It'd be the same with just about anything else. Best way though, is to use the right size tool.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 31, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen
Well, it's a Philips #0 that you should have been using, that's probably how it happened. Go to the Apple Store, they probably have some extras. Then go to sears and get a Philips #0 for the future.

I've worked on thousands of PowerBooks (and iBooks and MacBook Pros, etc)... ever once in a while you encounter a screw that's too tight... that's just how things are. It'd be the same with just about anything else. Best way though, is to use the right size tool.
The Apple Support site specifically mentions a Philips 00.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 09:35 AM

They make typos from time to time. Put a size 0 in it and you'll see it fits much better than a size 00.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 31, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen
They make typos from time to time. Put a size 0 in it and you'll see it fits much better than a size 00.
Well they did it more than once because it says the same thing for the MacBook.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 08:24 PM

Alright, then keep using a size 00. But if you want to be adventurous, try and size 0 just for a second... you don't even have to turn the screw.

zign
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 03:14 AM

The same thing happened to my girlfriend's mbp. Took it to London apple store and was told that they would have to drill through the screw and it would cost me £49 AND it would take at least 2 days.
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules