Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Solid State HDD in Macbook?

Solid State HDD in Macbook?
evildede
Dec 9, 2007, 04:33 AM

I've been thinking about getting a Solid State HDD like this one here. I would just like to know if it would work and if anyone knew if there was a good speed increase with it. Also, if I'd put a drive like that, how do I go installing Mac OS X Leopard on it from scratch as I have never done such an installation. It's a lot of money, but I just bought a RAM upgrade so I thought it might worth it to push it to the max with a nice new SSD!

stevebez
Dec 9, 2007, 05:52 AM

One benefit is that it should extend your battery runtime, although how much is open to speculation. I'm a bit curious how this thing would play with the S.M.S.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2007, 06:15 AM

How can you live on 32GB? Maybe if they make 'em for 100 - 160GB . . . .

By the time I've installed the OS and programs I'm usually near 30GBs.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

evildede  (op)
Dec 9, 2007, 02:31 PM

yeah I know it doesn't give much space, but the 64GB drives are simply too expansive for now. Although I do not plan to use the computer for more than just web surfing and school work using Office and a bit of World of Warcraft. But I heard there was a way of removing tons of unnecessary stuff from OS X to make it smaller after installation.

But anyway, I wasn't really asking about space as it wouldn't really be an issue to me, but more about whether or not it was worth the 400$ just to make the laptop a bit faster and also more efficient when it comes to battery life.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2007, 06:20 PM

I think it depends on how much money you are making. $400 to me a college student could buy me lots of food. So no, it isn't worth it. You however might be rolling your Lambo in 50 centimeters of québecquois(I apologize if spelled wrong) snow and the $400 is simply a drop in the bucket.

I have to say, it would be an awesome upgrade if doable. It would be really kick#ss if you you could put that sucker in a an external drive and rock and roll.

Really you could gain performance by getting a faster drive, 7200, and buying an extra battery. With this setup you could easily get a quality 250 or 300GB and faster performance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 08:07 PM

Yes it should work and yes they're quite fast.

evildede  (op)
Dec 9, 2007, 10:01 PM

I unfortunately don't make that much money Christophera, but the geek in me wants to do it I guess I'm going to wait a few weeks as I've got a Mac Pro to purchase and then if I can afford it I will try it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 9, 2007, 10:08 PM

I love the "detailed specs" on that page... Any idea what the access time and seek time are for such devices?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I love the "detailed specs" on that page... Any idea what the access time and seek time are for such devices?
Tens of nanoseconds... most hard drive benchmark apps call it "less than 0.1ms" because they weren't designed for drives with 0.00005ms access times.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2007, 12:02 AM

Well props if you make it happen. I will be interested to read your follow up post.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 10, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by NewOldbie View Post
How can you live on 32GB? Maybe if they make 'em for 100 - 160GB . . . .

By the time I've installed the OS and programs I'm usually near 30GBs.
Next year my friend, next year...

Electronista | Toshiba enters solid-state with 128GB drive

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Tens of nanoseconds... most hard drive benchmark apps call it "less than 0.1ms" because they weren't designed for drives with 0.00005ms access times.
Wow! Now we need action on the capacity and price aspects and we'll be in business. Such a fast drive would be incredible-consider how much of the boot sequence is drive-bound. Or sleeping and waking. This is pretty darn close to "instant on/instant off" territory.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules