Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Safari Crashing on the 3G iPhone with 2.1

Safari Crashing on the 3G iPhone with 2.1
MMask
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2008, 07:27 PM

Does your iPhone 3G with 2.1 crash more often than before? I have noticed a significant number of "resets" back to the home screen. What is up with that.?

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2008, 12:40 PM

I hadn't been thinking about it, but yes. My brother (who works for me) came into my office with the same complaint yesterday. At the time I was busy and didn't think about it... now that it's Saturday morning......

Yeah, mine is crashing at least twice as much as before.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2008, 12:53 PM

Not for me. My phone is the most stable it's been since purchasing it. There is one game I like, Galcon, which crashes nearly every time and the only way I can play it is to reboot my phone.

But other than that, everything else has been solid.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2008, 12:59 PM

My phone crashed on Drudge Report yesterday. :-/ How much surfing do you do?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2008, 05:54 PM

I don't know if you were asking me directly, but I visit regular sites multiple times daily - which could also be looked at another way - I don't randomly surf very much. In an effort to keep the speed high, I also try and stick to wap enhanced sites. Otherwise, I'll use an app store program to pull info in for me (google reader, shovel).

Looks like you may have hit upon the difference...

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 21, 2008, 07:55 AM

Mine has begun to crash a lot - a lot compared to 2.0.2 where I did not have a single crash - but with 2.1 there have been multiple. Hopefully that will be taken care of, in the 2.1.1 update....

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big-C View Post
I don't know if you were asking me directly, but I visit regular sites multiple times daily - which could also be looked at another way - I don't randomly surf very much. In an effort to keep the speed high, I also try and stick to wap enhanced sites. Otherwise, I'll use an app store program to pull info in for me (google reader, shovel).

Looks like you may have hit upon the difference...
I should've quoted your post to make that clear... my apologies.

But yeah, it does make sense that heavy browsing of non-wap enhanced pages would be more likely to crash Safari. Could be it.

Pair of iPhones

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
Mine has begun to crash a lot - a lot compared to 2.0.2 where I did not have a single crash - but with 2.1 there have been multiple. Hopefully that will be taken care of, in the 2.1.1 update....
Yep... it seems in the software industry they are constantly playing "whack-a-mole".

Pair of iPhones

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2008, 03:11 AM

I have observed the exact opposite here. Safari on 2.1 is a lot more stable than it used to be. Especially when I have several pages open at once and/or music playing in the background.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2008, 04:37 AM

Since getting my iPhone near the start of August I have had 290 crashes in all apps (the total of all the log files in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/). MobileSafari has been responsible for 88 of those which is almost one third, and I don't even use it very often because of its inability to stay open and its overall lack of user-friendliness. Totally unacceptable.

The saddest thing is that there is no way in hell that Apple will ever let someone else ship a browser for the iPhone that (a) just works and (b) works well. I hate MobileSafari with a passion - it is utter junk (it doesn't even work properly on half the sites I visit and its usability is terrible as well). I can't believe it is supposed to be the best mobile browser out there - the others must be seriously deficient if this is really the case.

Fwiw, MobileSafari is still as stable as a one-legged, drunk, 90 year old man trying to pogo on a waterbed for me in 2.1 and numerous apps are also still quitting back to the home screen at random, though (possibly, it is difficult to tell) less frequently than before. Apple can't even do a Microsoft these days and get it right at the third attempt. Pathetic.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2008, 11:48 AM

JKT, I think that's a bit extreme, though I agree with you on many levels. There's a lot more going on than with PIE or Opera Mobile. Mobile Safari is a one year-old product. Let's see what it looks like in 12 months.

Edit: And you are correct, it IS a sad commentary on the rest of the mobile browsers out there that Mobile Safari is the best.

Pair of iPhones

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2008, 01:33 PM

pre 2.1 i had two sites that would crash on me often, post 2.1 i know have about 4 or 5 that crash on me often. I hope theres a fix sooner than later for this issue, but other than this...2.1 has been pretty solid for me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 22, 2008, 03:02 PM

iPhone 3G with 2.1.

I can crash Safari almost every time if I try and use the regular (non iPhone) Facebook site. Other than that, never seems to crash.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2008, 07:12 AM

crashes a ton
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2008, 07:20 AM

Safari crashes for me much more since 2.1.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

seannavidi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 03:51 AM

Mine crashes heaps more on 2.1 update, not just safari but other than that had a few crash with Mail while typing mail and games a few times, Apple do something please !!!

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2008, 08:01 AM

Apple--do something!
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

stevebez
Sep 28, 2008, 04:01 PM

1.1.3 - Safari was almost bulletproof
1.1.4 - a little crashy
2.0.1 - crashes ~ twice as often as 1.1.3
2.1.0 - crashes with alarming regularity, ~ ten times as much as 1.1.3

come to thnk of it, I'm supprised I made it through this post!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Apple--do something!
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

eoe_gian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2008, 06:06 PM

That's all very strange what I see written here.

I had more apps. crashing, incl. Safari on my iPhone 3G in the few weeks running 2.0.2 before 2.1 came out. I noticed the increase of "reset to home screen" events happening in various apps by Apple and also some third party developed apps.. I first suspected a memory issue being related to running low on free space. (Does anyone know more about how the iPhone manages memory and graphics for running software?)

Since if music is playing at the same time some Games just will reset to home screen 10 seconds after starting. What is the iPod function in the background doing that makes this happen? i suspect using memory resources again... But i don't know enough about the internal iPhone to confirm.

However since the 2.1 update in my case many things became more stable. Definitely less problems browsing pages with Safari.

Please keep reporting.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2008, 07:10 PM

Yes, Safari on 2.1 is very crashy with me. But it was crashy before 2.1 also.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I have observed the exact opposite here. Safari on 2.1 is a lot more stable than it used to be. Especially when I have several pages open at once and/or music playing in the background.
I have to partially retract that statement. After a few days of heavy browsing w/o any reboots I saw a lot of Safari crashes. Ironically most of them seem to be ad-related. If I stop the page from fully loading (IOW after it's loaded the text but before it loads all the banners) it seems I see less crashes. Go figure.

Anyway, after seeing some pretty bad 2.1 Safari crashes I rebooted the iPhone. Didn't see a huge improvement. I then force quit the iPhone and rebooted it. That however, did show some improvement. At least so far. I previously suspected some of these crashes might be caused by bad handling of low memory situations. But a reboot should solve that. I'm wondering if there are some kind of cache or pref files that can get messed up. That might explain why a force quit does more than a regular reboot.

mattattack36
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2008, 02:12 PM

i try and use my iphone to the highest capability
and such the 3 main programs that 'reset to home' are safari, maps and sometimes the ipod, but the ipod is pretty stable to be honest.

apart from this one time that i was playing music through speakers in my car, adding a contact & taking a picture of her at the same time.

It didnt like that at all.

bring on the new firmware i guess.

matt

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2008, 12:13 PM

Apple better release a new update to 2.1 software. Android is coming out and if Google can create a great OS on it's first try......iPhones may be doomed (especially when the Android has a built in slide out keyboard....far superior to the touch screen keys.

Side note, i hope Apple releases an iPhone with a keyboard. It would kick the crapola out of Blackberry and others!
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2008, 01:19 PM

Android is already out. And everybody agrees that the device on which it shipped doesn't hold a candle against the iPhone. Apple needs to improve the iPhone software, but Android has nothing to do with that. At least not so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules