Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Many unsupported Leopard questions!

Many unsupported Leopard questions!
stevebez
Sep 28, 2008, 02:49 AM

I have a 800mhz TiBook w/768 mb of ram. My wife has a dual 500 gig.e. w/1.25 gigs of ram and a Radeon 7000 PCI 32mb. Both machines are running 10.4.11. I have been considering picking up a copy of Leopard and doing the whole "unsupported install" thing. Before I throw down any $ on this I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. If you could be specific which of the two computers will have which problem that would be better.

Will Time Machine function properly? (My #1 reason for upgrading)

Has anybody had trouble with Software Update on unsupported machines?

In percent, how big of a change in performance will there really be? I don't know how much it matters, but I prefer the solid menu bar and have no issue with reverting to the old dock. I also don't mind killing Dashboard, and I could be perfectly happy without Spotlight.

Will the DVD player work on my TiBook?

Are there any other issues should I be aware of?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to view and answer this tread!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2008, 10:24 AM

Time Machine should be fine.

Note for two installations you'll need to buy the $200 "family pack" to be properly licensed.

stevebez  (op)
Sep 29, 2008, 12:41 AM

Oh yeah... the family pack... I forgot all about that!

Are you sure that the PCI video card will not be an issue?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 04:02 AM

If you search for "tibook Leopard" you'll see posts from people who performed the upgrade and how they did it. They say it works but is slow.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Sep 29, 2008, 04:16 AM

I'd rather start saving towards replacing at least one of the machines. Leopard and iLife is included with new Macs, so $200 for a family pack is already worth a third of a Mac mini, a refurb/used Intel-based iMac or a used MacBook. Then add the money the sale of your machine generates.

It's not that it won't work, but you won't have a user experience anywhere close to what it's supposed to be.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

stevebez  (op)
Sep 29, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'd rather start saving towards replacing at least one of the machines. Leopard and iLife is included with new Macs, so $200 for a family pack is already worth a third of a Mac mini, a refurb/used Intel-based iMac or a used MacBook. Then add the money the sale of your machine generates.

It's not that it won't work, but you won't have a user experience anywhere close to what it's supposed to be.
But that will only take care of one machine, and I have two machines to think about.

OreoCookie
Sep 29, 2008, 06:05 PM

Yes, what I've said applies to both machines: they are both old, very old, and upgrades should be considered carefully, especially since you wouldn't run Leopard on supported systems (in case of the dual G4, not even barely supported). I'm saying: start saving your money to replace at least one machine and then the other.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 29, 2008 at 06:15 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2008, 08:53 AM

Since Leopard requires an 867MHz G4 or faster, save your money.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules