Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > iPads may have Mac-like replacement cycle, study suggests

iPads may have Mac-like replacement cycle, study suggests
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 21, 2014, 11:48 AM

Shoppers are likely to hold onto an iPad for the same time someone might keep a Mac, a Consumer Intelligence Research Partners study suggests. The firm recently polled 2,000 Americans who bought an iPhone, iPad, or Mac in 2013. While iPhone owners tend to replace their devices every two years or so when it's time to renew a contract, iPad owners are believed to be holding on for a period closer to two to four years, at least. The first-generation iPad only launched in 2010.

One contributing piece of evidence may be that in the survey group, only 1 to 2 percent of iPhone buyers were buying their first phone. The number of first-time iPad buyers in December was 78 percent, not far below the 84 percent recorded in March last year.

Even when an iPad breaks, people are in less of a hurry to replace it. Eight out of 10 iPhone owners are said to replace broken hardware within two days; both Mac and iPad owners, though, may wait as much as a week or more. And even when a person is simply upgrading their iPad, they're twice as likely as iPhone owners to give the old device to friends or family.

Hillbilly Geek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2014, 10:47 PM

I still have my V1. Don't despise me. $600 is not easy to collect in one spot for long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules