Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about ICQ/MSN messanger/yahoo and iChat...

Question about ICQ/MSN messanger/yahoo and iChat...
libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2002, 07:15 PM

So, we all know that ICQ will eventually work it's way into iChat and others may get added as well. My question is: If Apple does add other messanger clients to iChat how will it work? If I have and ICQ and AOL screen name...will it allow me to logg into both services at the same time so that I can see everyone who is available on both services and they will also be able to see me?

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2002, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
So, we all know that ICQ will eventually work it's way into iChat and others may get added as well. My question is: If Apple does add other messanger clients to iChat how will it work? If I have and ICQ and AOL screen name...will it allow me to logg into both services at the same time so that I can see everyone who is available on both services and they will also be able to see me?
This is how it is done with 3rd party IM apps that are available now (Proteus, Fire, etc). I would assume Apple would do the same. It's pretty nice. Very transparent, you don't even know you're on multiple servers. And your list is universal, so it shows everyone from all servers. I don't see why Apple would deviate from this.

libraryguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::

This is how it is done with 3rd party IM apps that are available now (Proteus, Fire, etc). I would assume Apple would do the same. It's pretty nice. Very transparent, you don't even know you're on multiple servers. And your list is universal, so it shows everyone from all servers. I don't see why Apple would deviate from this.
Thanks! I can't wait

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2002, 08:20 PM

I like iChat, especially the little blurbs that shows you're talking. If Apple adds the other IM apps (MSN, ICQ, Yahoo) it would be awesome. Fire looks cool but doesn't offer the looks of iChat.

zewm
Dec 19, 2002, 09:54 PM

Right now there is a program on windows that allows you to connect to
all 4 chat services and also acts as an IRC client (AIM,ICQ,YIM,MSN
and IRC). It's called Trillian.

It does this seemlessly, but also has multiple consoles with replys
from each service. Depending on your skin, it shows the service icon
next to the user's name. You can even "rename" your buddys, for local
viewing. So instead of having "superchick23" you can make it "Jenny"
and it even shows "Jenny" in the chat window (I don't know if ichat
does this, but no other im client does this on windows). Its pretty
cool, but I still stick to the solid AIM client for windows. I don't
really use any other services anyway.

Hope this helps a bit.

- Chris

rytc
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 04:26 AM

Proteus and Fire amongst others allow you to connect to all the messenging servers at the same time. It also allows you to rename your "buddies" (I hate that americanism to be honest) to whatever you want but then so does just about every IM app I ever used including iChat.....contacts all appear together in the status window. Trillian is certainly not ground breaking stuff.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules