Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Closing the iBook and making it stay awake

Closing the iBook and making it stay awake
Jo�o L�cio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 09:25 PM

Is there any patch, software, or anything that can give you the option of making the iBook stay awake when you close the lid? If I have a large download and want to go out I want to be able to close the lid on the iBook but leaving it awake.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 09:55 PM

Well, two issues. Doing so requires a bit of tweaking. Search the PowerBook forum, it's been discussed at legnth several times. If you have a copy/demo of Quake, people have found that prohibits a machine from going to sleep. Pretty much any full-screen game of today won't let a machine doze off.

You might fry your iBook like that, dude! Some machines, especially newer machines of today, vent a lot of their heat through the keyboard. I would hate to see someone fry their brand-new iBook because of the no-sleep hack.

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 09:59 PM

Totally off topic, but my god - a Pleasantonian! :o) I'm one too, by all means, e-mail me!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2001, 11:22 PM

I've actually found that at certain times MetaCard, when the front-most app (and sometimes even when not) , keeps my iBook awake even when I close the book - and I don't want it to do this.

Keeping the iBook running while the lid is closed probably is not good to do as it does ven heat through the keyboard (at least, I've heard this said enough times to believe it) . If you need a portable mp3 player, just get a Rio Volt or other device - it's specifically designed for music playing, is much much less bulky/heavy, etc. When I close my iBook, I want it sleeping!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 11:25 PM

Hey, what's up "unfaded"?

You drop me a line!

<Steve Jobs' Mojo>
Aug 10, 2001, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Jo�o L�cio:
<STRONG>Is there any patch, software, or anything that can give you the option of making the iBook stay awake when you close the lid? If I have a large download and want to go out I want to be able to close the lid on the iBook but leaving it awake.</STRONG>
Its a bad idea to close the i-book and have it not go to sleep. It gets pretty toasty in terms of heat. But if you want to listen to music and have it closed and not go to sleep, then plug inn the RGB dongle that comes with the i-book. That was talked about on earlier threads and it workrd perfectly for me. However,after trying it out and seeing that the i-book was quite hot, I plan to not do that anymore and will be buying an MP3 player.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 11:38 PM

I suppose you've gotten a general consensus that leaving the iBook closed while on is bad.

The people have spoken!

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 11:55 PM

The heat problem can't be TOO bad, since you can close the lid with a VGA monitor attatched and the computer will run fine.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 11:59 PM

Yeah, it's not too bad, but it still runs uncomfortably hot. It has a fan, right?

I notice Apple notebook fans don't move too much air, and also, I worry about the internal components of my notebook. I mean, the hard disk is really sensitive to heat and might melt...

Sean7
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 12:42 AM

Damn this is really bad news considering i was going to use an ibook as a dvd player when i get it. It would just look stupid if i keep the screen up.

Anyway i would have though it would put out less heat if the screen was off as the battery would have less to power and should run longer.

Am i right?
osx.vr9.com

iBook2
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Sean7:
<STRONG>Damn this is really bad news considering i was going to use an ibook as a dvd player when i get it. It would just look stupid if i keep the screen up.

Anyway i would have though it would put out less heat if the screen was off as the battery would have less to power and should run longer.

Am i right?</STRONG>
If you use the A/V Cord and shut it it works fine for DVD playing. It gets warm, but Apple made the thing so the monitor would shut off if closed while playing a DVD through the A/V port. It'll be fine... just don't watch 4 movies in a row

Sean7
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 07:43 AM

Oh thats ok then.

Now time to buy me one of those infared remote thingys.
osx.vr9.com

Jo�o L�cio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2001, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>You might fry your iBook like that, dude! Some machines, especially newer machines of today, vent a lot of their heat through the keyboard. I would hate to see someone fry their brand-new iBook because of the no-sleep hack.</STRONG>
Hey, thanks guys! I do not want the iBook as an MP3 player but sometimes it would be helpful to close the lid on the iBook and having it stay working (you may want to hide your work...
But now I now how to do it (the VGA adapter seems a got option) and that I have to shut down the LCD so it doesn't melt.

Once again, thank you!!

zomart9th
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2001, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Steve Jobs' Mojo&gt;:
<STRONG>

Its a bad idea to close the i-book and have it not go to sleep. It gets pretty toasty in terms of heat. But if you want to listen to music and have it closed and not go to sleep, then plug inn the RGB dongle that comes with the i-book. That was talked about on earlier threads and it workrd perfectly for me. However,after trying it out and seeing that the i-book was quite hot, I plan to not do that anymore and will be buying an MP3 player.</STRONG>
oddly, when I plug it in to an external monitor using the VGA cord and close the lid, the ibook promptly goes to sleep. This is under OS X; perhaps it only stays awake in OS 9?

Forum Links
Forum Rules