Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > macintosh llcx battery?

macintosh llcx battery?
coachy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 01:25 PM

I've posted before about not being able to access the hard drive of this model. I think I've finally discovered the prob. The internal battery is shot. My problem is that I can't find it to replace it. I know the manual says that you shouldn't try to do it yourself. Unfortunately I'm equally loathe to pay someone to do it. $50 to change a battery in a $20 computer? I don't think so. Can anyone help out and/or refer me to a site with some advisory on the matter. (I tried Apple. No joy.)

Still stuck under the snow in Canada.

cElls
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 02:11 PM

See my reply in the other thread.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: cElls ]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 02:56 AM

Rather than look at another thread, just go to Radio Shack and pick up a 1/2 AA battery. It should be labeled as a computer battery. Better yet take out the battery you have and show it to them to get a replacement.

BillyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2002, 07:59 PM

He says "My problem is that I can't find it to replace it."

If it's anything like the IIci, it is soldered to the motherboard.

O.K.... NewerTech's program called "Guru" reports that the battery is 3.6v Lithium (Maxell ER3S, or Radio Shack # 23-026)
--"When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete."

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2002, 05:16 AM

If I'm not mistaken, cx and ci do not have soldered batteries. Or at least the ci doesn't.

runningdog
Forum Regular
May 22, 2002, 12:11 AM

This is what you want. It's an easy to find lithium battery and it usually cost about $10(US). In a IIcx you'll have to remove the power supply and the drive bay to access the battery compartment which is a removable cell battery. i've done it myself and though it's a little tricky it can be done. i think there's only one screw holding down the plastic drive cage and then the rest is just pushing aside plastic clamps. If you need more help i could even take some pics of the process and post them here.

BillyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by runningdog:
<STRONG>This is what you want. It's an easy to find lithium battery and it usually cost about $10(US). In a IIcx you'll have to remove the power supply and the drive bay to access the battery compartment which is a removable cell battery. i've done it myself and though it's a little tricky it can be done. i think there's only one screw holding down the plastic drive cage and then the rest is just pushing aside plastic clamps. If you need more help i could even take some pics of the process and post them here.</STRONG>
Well, it's no wonder I could never get that old piece-o-**** to work... I had no idea the battery was so well hidden! I was looking obviously at some other component on the motherboard which had little "+" and "-" signs on it and I assumed that this must have been the pram battery.

My humble apologies for the mis-information.
I feel like a real idiot now... (at least I can own up to my mistake)... sorry.
--"When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete."

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2002, 06:04 PM

The <a href="http://www.academ.com/info/macintosh/" target="_blank">Macintosh Battery Page</a> describes the batteries, their locations on various motherboards, and dead battery symptoms. A very good resource for this topic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules