Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HFS or HFS+?

HFS or HFS+?
tony.eastwood
Forum Regular
May 24, 2002, 10:12 AM

I'm planning to do a clean install and reinitialise my hard disc in HFS+ format.

I've burnt CDs of 'Our Folders', Applications & Utilities and System Folder Additions (using CleanInstallAssistant ) and will do one of the System folder itself.

But, to be on the safe side, I want to copy the whole of the hard disc using Toast's Mac Volume Format. It seems I can do a copy of my hard disc in either HFS or HFS+ format. Should I do HFS because that's what it is at the moment, r HFS+ because that's what it's going to be when I reinstall?

And am I right in thinking that, having reinitialised my hard disc (as HFS+), I can then put the CDs I've burnt into the CDRom drive and reintall ev erything just as it was?

Hope I'm on the right lines! Will appreciate feedback and anything that corrects my thinking.

Using MacOS 8.6 - Power PC .

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood

Cipher13
May 24, 2002, 10:53 AM

It really doesn't matter.

On a small partition, it won't make a huge difference; and either way, you can copy to and from HFS and HFS+ without any compatibility problems whatsoever.

Do whatever you feel like, really

Personally, I'd do HFS+, because it's so much nicer.

tony.eastwood  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2002, 01:38 PM

Thanks Cipher.

Much appreciated

Tony

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cipher13:
<strong>It really doesn't matter.

On a small partition, it won't make a huge difference; and either way, you can copy to and from HFS and HFS+ without any compatibility problems whatsoever.

Do whatever you feel like, really

Personally, I'd do HFS+, because it's so much nicer.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

Forum Links
Forum Rules