Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macs are too expensive

macs are too expensive
reemas
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 03:36 PM

don't start a flame war or im outta here.

actually i really would like to own a powerbook, preferably one of the higher end models but here is why i think a mac is a waste of money:

1.) they are proprietary and expensive as hell. 3 grand for a good notebook? thats a little steep. and we all know macs are more expensive that pc's.
2.) the software is expensive and hard to come by. if i had to buy all the software i needed i'd be without a computer. plus even if i wanted to try soemthing out, theres no copies availible.
3.) proprietary!! i mean theres no way to upgrade little things. very little 3rd party support. i mean in pc's if i wanted to get a new sound card, done. i get to choose too. if i wanted to change my cd burner done. and cheap.

with these reasons, why do you people own macs? convince me.
and if you're rich, you dont count =)

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 03:45 PM

If you cannot understand why people use Macs, then don't use one.

stotan
Oct 22, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by reemas:

actually i really would like to own a powerbook, preferably one of the higher end models but here is why i think a mac is a waste of money:

1.) they are proprietary and expensive as hell. 3 grand for a good notebook? thats a little steep. and we all know macs are more expensive that pc's.
2.) the software is expensive and hard to come by. if i had to buy all the software i needed i'd be without a computer. plus even if i wanted to try soemthing out, theres no copies availible.
3.) proprietary!! i mean theres no way to upgrade little things. very little 3rd party support. i mean in pc's if i wanted to get a new sound card, done. i get to choose too. if i wanted to change my cd burner done. and cheap.

1. It may cost 3 grand for the most expensive powerbook, but thats only if you buy without a education discount. Pretty much anyone can get a edu discount cuz you ought to know someone who is in school.

2. software is the same price... photoshop for the mac is the same as for the pc, warcraft is the same price on pc and mac...

3. if your planning on buying a laptop, both pc and mac laptops pretty much cant be upgraded. as for desktops, most hardware is compatible for macs

back to #1.

i've used PCs since the 80806 came out... thats been a good 15 years. I've always thought Macs were more expensive too, but i finally recently decided to see if they really are, so i priced out the new 12inch al powerbook, and tried to find something similar on the pc, only to find out that they are even more expensive, look damn ugly, and if you've ever used a os x, its way better than windows!

Eciton
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 03:51 PM

OK, I'll bite.

1) they're actually not more expensive. the emac, the imac and the ibook are all incredibly cheap and offer great feature-sets. if you want a thin, aluminium 17" notebook then you're going to pay for it, pc or mac.

2) the software's the same price as for pcs, and although there's less of it, the quality tends to be higher. furthermore, exactly how many identical utilities and applications does one need, anyway?

3) you can't upgrade a pc notebook either. the proprietary nature of macs (to accept your generalization) allows them to be more tightly integrated with the rest of the apple hardware and software range.

now get lost.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 03:53 PM

stotan, thanks for the reply. but i think in the end, the macs are more expensive. i dont know how you found the pc laptops to be mroe expensive. places like dell and certain dealers have such great discounts at times that i can't see how macs are cheaper.

also, i use programs like kazaa on my pc. theres nothing like that for macs which is horrible. 99 cents a song? ridiculous.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 04:00 PM

Do humanity a favor. Stick with the PC. Please.

Thank you for your cooperation.
I, ASIMO.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 04:00 PM

Reminder to MacNN readers... Don't feed the trolls.

Wait, sorry, I... must... respond...

Expensive? Yes, Macs are initially more expensive to buy. But it's been shown time and time again that your typical Macintosh has a longer useful life than your typical PC. On top of that, total cost of ownership (both tangible support costs and non-tangible loss-of-productivity costs) are substantially lower on the Macintosh platform. If you want a CHEAP computer, then get yourself a PC and be happy. Remember, you get what you pay for. Do we all wish Macintosh computers were less expensive? Sure we do. And they are getting less expensive in general. $2999 retail for the high-end Dual G5. Personally, I think that's a bargain. Price out a similar Dell or HP and let me know.

Three grand for a notebook? Perhaps, if you want the top-of-the-line 17" PowerBook. Show me a similar PC laptop, I dare you. And those 9.5 pound laptops don't count. Its substantially less money for a basic 15" PBG4...

Expensive software? Uhm, perhaps if you're used to warez'ing everything. But last I checked, PhotoShop, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, etc. all cost the same as the PC versions. Office is less than $130 for anyone who can get the academic discount (I paid $12. Yes, twelve bucks). Games cost the same typically. Not sure what you're referring to here.

"if i had to buy all the software i needed i'd be without a computer." Can't help you there, pal. If you want to pirate all your software, by all means please stay on the PC. Don't switch to the Mac if all you want to do is pirate software. We don't want you.

"plus even if i wanted to try soemthing out, theres no copies availible." See paragraph above.

Proprietary? Maybe some aspects, sure. That's what makes it work better. Want to change your burner? Fine, go ahead. People do it all the time on a Mac. Not sure where you get the impression you can't do it. xlr8yourmac.com has a giant database of user reports of all kinds of 3rd party CD burners, DVD burners, hard drives, tape drives, etc.

"don't start a flame war or im outta here." I don't think you're going to find a lot of sympathizers here, pal.

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:02 PM

also, i use programs like kazaa on my pc. theres nothing like that for macs which is horrible. 99 cents a song? ridiculous.
Since you're used to it, go and steal a Mac, much cheaper than any pc.

stotan
Oct 22, 2003, 04:05 PM

stotan, thanks for the reply. but i think in the end, the macs are more expensive. i dont know how you found the pc laptops to be mroe expensive. places like dell and certain dealers have such great discounts at times that i can't see how macs are cheaper.

Try going to dell website and pick the insirpon or whatever their called.. the 12 inch one (i think it might be the 300 or the 600)
i guess u should first pick that your a student, and then go and price it out.. it comes out to around 2600 canadian (dell.ca) with the added dvdr/cdrw combo, cuz i'm trying to show a comparison between that and the superdrive 12 inch powerbook. the powerbook sells for 2300 canadian on edu discount (it doesnt have 3 year warranty) so it would be about 2600 with the 3 year warranty.
however, i cant see anything about the what type of video card dell uses, and i believe the powerbooks to be pretty decent.

the dell is smaller and lighter (3lb but without the cd drive, so probably 3.5lb) whereas the powerbook is 4.5lb... i guess you can argue this point but i see no difference between 3.5lbs and 4.5lbs... thier both real light!

also, the specs of the dell says battery power is only good for 2.5 hours unless you buy the big battery (in which case it would probably make the laptop weigh a bit more) so all in all, i guess you can say they are about evenly priced.

with the exception of nice looking powerbook, and ugly looking dell (but thats just my opinion)

And then there is the 17 inch powerbook... there is nothing that compares to this in the wintel world... toshiba has its 17 inch but that sucker weights close to twice the powerbook (although i'll admit its also faster), but when you buy a laptop you want portability, or just get a desktop

nighttraitor
Oct 22, 2003, 04:06 PM

also, i use programs like kazaa on my pc. theres nothing like that for macs which is horrible. 99 cents a song? ridiculous. [/B]
I'll comment on this. Go to version tracker (www.versiontracker.com) and do a search for kazaa. Programs are out there.

Ok I have to get in on the topic thread. I have switched to the mac because I find my time more valueable than a cheap windows laptop. On the mac everything works, the first time. My dad still has a windows laptop and when he got his wireless linksys card it took him over an hour to connect to our home network. When I popped in the airport card i was on the network in less than 5 minutes. Same thing with bluetooth, I plugged in the dongle and i was rockin and rollin. On my dads dell, he had to set up drivers, configure ports, go through wizards. I would pay extra for a laptop that lets me work and not get in my way, and the mac lets me do just that.

edit:Took out name of file-sharing program.
"Is it because he's a horse?! Or because he has BLINDERS ON?!?!?!"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 04:06 PM

Show me where you can get music for less than 99� a song. Legally, I mean.

Thought so.

Thinking something is too expensive doesn't give you the right to steal it. I think Ferraris are too expensive. I think I'll go steal myself one

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 04:10 PM

thanks for all the replys.
i was once told that pc users dont mind macs but mac users are a tight community that are pretty defensive.

i used to own a powerbook and sold it for money reasons.

all i can say is that most of you have the same attitude.
you have to defend you're macs at all costs. i just asked questions. some of you dont have girlfriends or females in your lives, instead you have macs. i now see why everyone is so uptight.

if you ask about pc's, someone can say "oh that company sucks" or "that is a good card" but in macs you only hear "everything is the best so go away"
if i ask a question and instead of getting good answers, some of you respond like kids, that speaks for itself.
i cant waste time like asimo so thanks again for everyone's replys. the mac community's shines. =)

dialo
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 04:15 PM

i was once told that pc users dont mind macs but mac users are a tight community that are pretty defensive.

you have to defend you're macs at all costs. i just asked questions. some of you dont have girlfriends or females in your lives, instead you have macs. i now see why everyone is so uptight.

if you ask about pc's, someone can say "oh that company sucks" or "that is a good card" but in macs you only hear "everything is the best so go away"
if i ask a question and instead of getting good answers, some of you respond like kids, that speaks for itself.
i cant waste time like asimo so thanks again for everyone's replys. the mac community's shines. =)
Looks like Belview got the internet.

bfurtado
Oct 22, 2003, 04:23 PM

Who would want to use Kazaa anyway! Poisoned connects to the fastrack network along with gift, and others. Far superior and not loaded with spyware, viri, and the other things that come with that junk. I am a PC and Mac user. In fact, I am an overclocking, Computer Modding, Cold Cathrode Ray tubing, Water cooling PC user. I am a recent mac owner and its better, cheaper and more efficient. Take for example the 15" Superdrive Powerbook. Its around $3699CAN with no education discount. I went to the Dell.ca website, picked one of their cheap plastic Inpirons (8500 I think) and configured it as closely as I could. I added a DVD Burner, picked a good Lcd option, put 512MB DDR PC 2700 RAM, 80GB hard drive, and comparable CPU based on cross-platform benchmarks like Photo Shop rendering. I also added comparable software like Music Match (still no match for iTunes), Some DVD authoring software, etc. The only main difference was the Video processor in the Powerbook was a far superio Mobile Radeon 9600. The Dell was a Nvidia 5200 something or other I believe. Guess what! The Dell came out at $4023CAN! $500CAN more than the PB. PC companies have a habit of lowballing a basic system and then cranking the price up when you add extras - and if you don't add these extras your system is crippled in its abilities. The reason people think Macs are more expensive is because there is no BS in the pricing. "This is the configuration, everything is included, enjoy"

Brian

Blackstealth
Oct 22, 2003, 04:28 PM

In my my experience Macs are only more expensive if your time has no value.
It's arrived - 15" PB 1.25Ghz - Damn is this a fine machine!

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:31 PM

1. Go look at a ThinkPad T40, which is very comparable to a PB. Tell me the the prices aren't very similar. In some cases, the PB is cheaper.

2. You're a troll, and a poor one at that. Get lost.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:33 PM

I do agree that people here are a little blind for the disadvantages of the macs.

Macs are less compatible that PCs because of the enormus PC marked and users.

Macs have more limitiated user areas, like developemt of machine arch. (Xilinx have no programs for macs!) Ada for mac? ... NO
(Which is a turn down for me as a comuter user)

Many small companies which are developing new equipment usually develop for win and linux

Macs are more limitated. Apple have a "monopoly" with macs which is the mainreason for the higher price, but also better all over quality.

Many things are very good with them, ref. above

How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:39 PM

I use both OSX and Windows, but when someone like you comes along with the mentality of an inbred teenager, you reap what you sow.

Go play your GTA3 now, kid. I think you've been sufficiently fed and embarrassed.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:41 PM

I agree, stick with your PC, Sony, Intel, Nvidia, and all the other brand names that brainwash you so well.

And for the last time, complaining about things on message boards will not change them.

Oh and BTW, I own a PC and Mac. I support and prefer products that are high quality and high performance. I don't buy products based on brand names or companies. Stop looking for biased computer users here and start looking at yourself.

2nd Edit because I keep reading your ignorant replys, yes there are programs like Kaaza for OSX. The ONLY advantage 'PC Only' users have are games, which is because of the USER BASE, not because of the hardware or OS.
( Last edited by slffl; Oct 22, 2003 at 04:49 PM. )

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 04:47 PM

There are obviously going to be inherent differences between a Mac and a PC and yes, arguably the PC has an upper hand.

But your initial post ripped on macs with little evidence to back it up. A fine counterpoint was brought up by bfurtado in his post pointing out that a similarly spec'd PC actually costs more than a Mac.

And then you throw out gratuitous insults at people. It's simply not necessary. I agree that people on this forum are quick to defend their platform choice and at times its almost inane, but you are looking at a group of similarly minded people who is often the subject of posts such as this one, baseless insults with little justification.

Next time, if you want to avoid getting responses such as Asimo's, try a little research before hand and be ready to argue your point rather than simply following it up with insults.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 04:47 PM

O rly.

Edit:
( Last edited by The Jackalope; Oct 22, 2003 at 04:53 PM. )

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Blackstealth:

Hahahahaha! Funniest (and most insightful) thing I've read in quite some time!

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Blackstealth:

Nice quote!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
O rly.

Edit:
Bwahahahaha!! That gif is too funny! Swiped it.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:59 PM

isn't it nice to make somebody happy by responding to his posts?
I'm pretty sure he'll wake up in the morning all nervous and curious to see what kind of responce his obvious post got.

btw. It's fun to go through his post history.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 05:00 PM

That's because most PC users are always offensive.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by HotSoup:
That's because most PC users are always offensive.
"Pc users" are always offensive?? "we" are pretty many different people I do not think you can find a common denominator for all the pc users in this word

It is childish to post "PC is best" arguments in this way, but you have to comitt that it is pretty easty to tease this forum.

Most serious users of both macs and pcs usually use both for different purposes and are not a "member" of a clan.

I did notice "we dont want you" statement here. This is just as childish as the original arguments.

regards
runejoha
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 06:09 PM

i am pretty surprised at what a$$holes most people who responded here are. you pretty much degrade the quality of a *forum*.

with that said, macs are pretty damn expensive, albeit they are waaaaaay better computers. even if you compare list prices you can always find a better list in the pc world, albeit you are getting a pc. on top of that, there is always some super-sale occuring in the pc world because all pc manufacturers are essentially selling the same thing.

an aside industry factoid- apple has the highest margin on its products of an company in the industry.

my take on that is that they don't need to be the most expensive products on the market... they just are. it's a damn good thing they are the best.

i am sure i will get flamed here, even though i am as much an apple fan as anyone else.... i'm just not blind to reality and biased beyond reason.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 06:19 PM

Ummm... No, compare to other PC laptops that are fully loaded like the Powerbook, they still are less than what the Powerbook gives you, as well as either costing the same as the Powebook or more, in which costing more is the case most of the time.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 06:35 PM

Reem-ass wrote:

"all i can say is that most of you have the same attitude.
you have to defend you're macs at all costs. i just asked questions. some of you dont have girlfriends or females in your lives, instead you have macs. i now see why everyone is so uptight."

Not only do I have a beautiful girlfriend, she has my old ti-400 and loves it. We live in a sweet little ski town called Aspen, one that I moved to 5 years ago with $400 in my pocket and no job or home.

I now have a great life up here and because of my "expensive" Powerbooks, I still have $400 in my pocket and much more in the bank.

But most importantly..I have time to do things not related to the upkeep of some frustrating Winbloze machine.

Mac's are more expensive but my time is priceless.

A bargain IMHO.

There is no defense to be made. We use the best computers in the world...

Period

"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 06:39 PM

we say go away because you need to do more research, ask more questions, and make less assumptions. you, my friend, are an idiot.

here are some words you seemed to have overlooked: iBook (g4), Mac OS X, you=troll...

jpyrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 07:03 PM

hereees Johnnnnyy:

The straight reasons for me: Mac applications look better than the same windows versions for Eclipse, JDeveloper, Word/Office, Warcraft 3 (my 15" PB screen is far better than my friends new HP 2.0 celeron laptop he just bought )

Lets examine WC3, silly troll, we linked up for a custom game... I was running 1280X854 at 32 bit (millions colors), he couldnt run that high. We started the custom game at the same time, my 1 GHZ laptop always loaded faster by a noticable margin (say 10 secs). It has a progress bar. That pissed him off. I ran with ALL effects on with zero slowdown (really). Also, Everquest is similiar I showed him mine and mine was bigger Like at the Planes of Knowledge, I have red dots and run at max resoultion (1280x854) and he has more slowdown. Granted his is not a P4 laptop, but he has DDR memeory, where I have 133 mhz ram and double the clock cycles. Plus, EQ is a windows app and recently ported.

I did a stress test with my laptop with my gf present.. I loaded everything on my laptop so all this crap was running simutanously. WC3, iDVD, iTunes playing VH mp3s, iMovie, chess!!! with 1 move every 600 mins (sucked all cycles), progress monitor, top, iCal, etc..
There were no idle cycles according to top in terminal
The wc3 played very slowly maybe 5 fps, but the mp3 NEVER stopped or flaked out or was broken up/garbled. And after everything was loaded, I went around for another round , and then some things started crashing like iMovie or wC3 would die with multiple instances. There really was no memory or CPU avaialble.

Today at work, I am running hardly anything, just Eclipse on Win 2000 and my cd and its noticable glitches when I do something.. not CD scratches. I dont lose the track or skipping, but sounds like a buffering problem.

Also, just tired of running Microsoft code. I need a freaking break. The DVD player runs movies so perfectly. I can have stuff running and watch a DVD and it works perfect. I am so happy with my computer. Its a damn shame I didnt get one sooner.

And Java on it is the best.. my code runs so much faster on my 1 ghz PB than on my work provided P4 1.7 compaq box w/ Win2K. About 30% faster. I am the type of developer that likes to microbenchmark the code with echo statements displaying the time.. i.e.. Took 15.87 secs to match.. using built in Java System clock methods.

I am not making any of this up. I have a fat girlfriend too.. But thats why she uses baby oil on me to make up for it. Fat girls try harder and macs just run better. Remember computers are just a tool. But the Craftsman brand cost more, but they are worth it when its time to work. Later..

jpyrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 07:09 PM

sorry.. meant to say his celeron has twich the clock cycles. also, in the stress test, OSX ran perfect, the mouse responsive and apps swithced fast even though everything was maxed out. There was no
hanging or OS slowdown like happens on Windows where the screen does not refresh properly.

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 07:29 PM

I dont know if anyone read the tread I posted about reading del forums but it looks like maybe this guy should go see how envious they are of us. Macs are more expensive just compare apples to apples pun intended. Compare what you pay for with software hardware and above all the os then come back and tell me they are more expensive.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 07:49 PM

Macs are so expensive! I can't find a decent PC laptop to equal these iBooks at the same price points. If you can't afford a PowerBook this is the portable Mac for you...

$1,299.00 USD gets you a laptop with the following:
933MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 933MHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CDRW) Slot-loading
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory

Plenty of free software, games, utilities....

$1,099 gets you a 12" 800 G4 laptop with the same features

and $1,499.00 gets you:

1GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 1GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 07:57 PM

While I do not necessarily endorse piracy.. there are Kazaa options for the mac and you CAN download mac software too to try it out.

www.macp2p.com

The Kazaa network is called Fasttrack and there are several clients for the mac. The best one IMO is Poisoned.

If you have questions about the platform and the options on the mac, as questions... don't go bashing.
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

For your information if you attempt (i say attempt because when i tried the best dell laptop didnt have some features that the pbook has standard) to configure similar systems the dell is more money!! i promise you a friend said his dell laptop would be 1400, so i clicked on it and added all the **** my 15AL has and ........ mine was cheaper!!
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 08:23 PM

porsches are too expensive! plasma tvs are too expensive! expensive laptops are too expensive!

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 08:36 PM

Why are so many of you taking what this guy says seriously? Cleanse thyselves.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 08:39 PM

Mac laptops last, PC's dont.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by runejoha:
I did notice "we dont want you" statement here. This is just as childish as the original arguments.

regards
runejoha
I said "we don't want you" in the context of software piracy. If he's going to use a Mac and pirate software in an already tight market, then, no, I'd think none of us would really want him. I hardly think thats childish.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 09:04 PM

Really? PC users don't mind Macs? Try posting a thread praising the Mac over at AnandTech and see how many positive responses you get. Here's a hint: it's a number between zero and zero.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Try posting a thread praising the Mac over at AnandTech and see how many positive responses you get. Here's a hint: it's a number between zero and zero.
That�s very true! I think a lot it�s because a majority of them are jealous of Apple. I think that people are being very arrogant and not doing their homework on the PowerMac or PowerBook.

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 11:58 PM

Well when you ask a closed question. "Why do we like them?" You're not asking us anything, you came here with one purpose and one purpose only. To troll and illicit a specific response. You started your question by praising the PC's upgradability and then essentially asked why the hell would we like macs?
So don't act all high and mighty pretending like you're seeking "good anwsers" to a question that had one purpose only.

einmakom
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 07:05 AM

Computers cost what they cost.

If they seem expensive to you, question your needs and whether or not you're getting value for your money.

Apple continues to lower prices. The machine I paid 2300 US for in January now costs 1900. The iBooks just introduced aren't much different from that machine outside of the optical drive, for 1299.

So, are Macs too expensive? Depends on your needs and whether or not you see the value for what your money buys.

That said, there isn't much else that needs to be said.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 07:21 AM

Believe me, either you want to start a flame war or you're seriously misinformed.

CPU upgrade: ebay or OWC, a few bucks and I have a g4 cpu upgrade.

Video card: The field's open on this.. just about anything I want... even some PC firmware cards

Sound Card: What kinda crack are you smoking? the only sound devices NOT supported in OS X are soundblaster ones... which are pretty much the only thing to the narrowminded PC user.... um.. yeah

Hard drives? CD drives? I ask again what planet you came from. I constantly interchange the drives between my PCs *AND* macs, and my mac easily reads/writes to the PC drive happily, no reformatting needed

Proprietary? Only as much as you want them to be? In laptops that's expected and in the all in ones.. well who (that buys an all in one) is going to NEED that?

Generally, as much as you want to argue about it, people buy a PC, cheap or expensive, use it for a few years, then set it aside and they have the new machine..

I seldom see anything but ram and hard drive upgrades.. all easily doable. Standard PC crap works, I once had a $9 drive in my g4 while I was checking the superdrive on a PC...

PCI cards? G5 towers have PCI-X. The lower end macs have firewire, ethernet, modem, usb 1 and 2, I don't think it's really a necessity to have an addon since what you might need can USUALLY be provided through USB or firewire AND, all macs come with current, if not top end, interconnects (firewire 800, usb2, gigabit ethernet, 802.11g, etc).

OS X is a unix based OS, one of the most open there is. You can use openoffice for FREE, GIMP for FREE, just about anything you want, and for those other things, there are ways that are much easier then you'd think

I don't think that x company is the best and enjoy going all about on it. Thanks for the replies, btw I do have a girlfriend and could.. but for my own safety, don't, pimp... This is truth between many mac users

Am I defensive? Sometimes. Wouldnt' you be if people failed to ever agree with you with their blockheaded reasoning that nothing good can come from a company like that?

Oh... all PC companies have their own good side:

HP: Cheesiest advertising and ugliest products
Alienware: Rivals HP but makes the h4x0r feel special they can't build their own cool computer
Dell: Threatens any company that dares try compete in price.
Compaq: Lost to HP
Other companies: too damn nerdy
Toshiba: They should sell their designs to the navy to build their ships with.

Then again they do have their good sides ^_^

I'd say apple is not such a great company, their customer relations can get edgy at times, but they're one of the few major software companies that DOES listen to their customers, and I don't care what you say, but that's a GOOD thing.
Aloha

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 07:31 AM

Oh, to top it off.

I run an IRC server, it actually states in the MOTD the server runs off a mac.

I don't mind saying it either.

The sad truth is, the majority of the people who give blockheaded responses don't have much credibility themselves. I recall helping a person out with mIRC and finally showing them the virtues of X-Chat, when they asked why I didn't have my own mIRC script my comment was my main machine was on OS X.

"OS X what's that?"
"it's apple's unix based os"
"OMG MAC SUX! DUMBASS!" <-- always bundled with list of insults

The true irony is I go on to explain it, they protest saying that "You don't know how to use a PC, that's all"... I just helped them out, 80% of the time without turning on a PC to follow along... thus it's quite the opposite

And so I go along happily running my servers and playing multiplayer games on my mac.. they barely can get on IRC alone with their powerhouse PCs.. wow
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules