Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > customize right click?

customize right click?
stotan
Nov 30, 2003, 02:01 PM

Hi, I'm a recent switcher and I love OS X, however there are a few things that I liked about xp, but can't seem to figure out how to do it in os x (could be possible and i just dont know how)

So anyways, Is there a way to customize the menu that comes up when you right click?
Like for instance if i right click on an item, it shows open, open with, get info, etc.
Can i add this into that list, like i have bbedit and would like to add something that says open with bbedit into it?
I have stuffit and stuffit seems to have added itself into the list, so it seems to me like there should be a way, but i just dont know how.

Any help would be appreciated!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2003, 02:20 PM

There are so called "Contextual Menu Items" that go into the folder (~)/Library/Contextual Menu Items/

These extend the Finder's contextual menu. Some applications install them (like StuffIt apparently).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 02:27 PM

Well sometime soon (I hope) FruitMenu will be coming around again. That allows total customization of the right click menu.
http://www.unsanity.com/

stotan  (op)
Nov 30, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
There are so called "Contextual Menu Items" that go into the folder (~)/Library/Contextual Menu Items/

These extend the Finder's contextual menu. Some applications install them (like StuffIt apparently).
thanks for the info. Is there any way that i can cutomize it through? I see that stuffit has a plugin in the folder, but i tried to like just throw an alias of the program I wanted to show up in the right click and that doesnt work

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2003, 02:50 PM

No, the only way to add something to the Finder contextual menu is by adding a contextual menu plugin which is some special thing of code. Just an alias won't work.

Now King Bob says Unsanity has a hack that allows to do this, but I haven't tested that.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules