Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > (very) Basic photo studio help

(very) Basic photo studio help
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 01:03 AM

I want to set up a very, very basic photo studio in my attic, I've got the Nikon, and two 10" Tungsten floods, plus an umbrella, as well as some backgrounds. Any advice on what sort of lights I might need to have a somewhat complete setup? My wife sells stuff on eBay, and I would like to photograph various things up there, people, objects, etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

hayesk
Feb 9, 2004, 01:43 PM

If you will be doing portraits, get some reflectors (gold, white, silver) to fill in the shadows - and an assistant to hold them.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 02:01 PM

Check out B & H Photo.

Maybe a light meter, a must for studio photography. I've got this one.. Had it for years and couldn't function without it.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 04:20 PM

For portraits, softboxes/diffusion gear is a must.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 06:40 PM

camera, tripod, basic seamless curved backdrops, a table, the meter's a must and of course the lights.

A good lighting kit should come with a fair amount of diffusion gear, ie and umbrella, frost gels, etc. Pay attention to which light bulbs you buy as well, you'll end up doing some major color correction if you dont purchase Daylight-balanced bulbs.

Check out either of the two LowePro DV Creator kits from B&H and/or Adorama. Great deals, really get a lot for the money. Good for location stuff too.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I want to set up a very, very basic photo studio in my attic, I've got the Nikon, and two 10" Tungsten floods, plus an umbrella, as well as some backgrounds. Any advice on what sort of lights I might need to have a somewhat complete setup?
How much will you be charging for monthly, recurring memberships?

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that stuff, man it's getting expensive

Forum Links
Forum Rules