Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > right mouse click crashes finder??

right mouse click crashes finder??
stotan
Feb 12, 2004, 01:32 AM

Has this happened to anyone?

when i right mouse click on a folder or an icon when finder is the app in the front, it crashes and restarts finder, but if I have another application, say safari open, and the menu bar is still on safari, I can right click on something (like a folder or icon) thats on the desktop and the right mouse click menu pops up like it should.

All I think I did was install spring cleaning which I have now uninstalled.

thanks for any help
and hope the post makes sense

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2004, 01:46 AM

Sounds like a driver issue. What kind of mouse is it? See if you can download updated drivers.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stotan  (op)
Feb 12, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Sounds like a driver issue. What kind of mouse is it? See if you can download updated drivers.
I dont think its a driver issue, at least not for the mouse because it happens with my mousepad on the powerbook as well as my external usb mouse

i tried unplugging the external mouse but the trackpad still has the same problems. Everything has been fine until a bit after I installed aladdinsystems spring cleaning program. i dont know if it was just a conicidence, but I've uninstalled the program and it still has the same problems

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 01:59 AM

Does that program install a contextual menu plug-in? If so, trash that also.

If that doesn't help post the crash log.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

stotan  (op)
Feb 12, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Does that program install a contextual menu plug-in? If so, trash that also.

If that doesn't help post the crash log.
i thought that might be the problem but there were no contextual menus installed with it. however, i looked at the crash log and there was some error to do with stuffit (dont have any idea why) so i checked the contextual menus again and there was one for stuffit, so i trashed it and it works.
weird!

thanks for your help!

gnomelandsecurity
May 26, 2006, 08:16 PM

In the Contextual Menu Items folder I found that dumping the AutoTagTools.plugin fixed everything.

Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2003 and it doesn't play well with Tiger 10.4:
http://www.mmalson.com/Products/AutoTagX/

Forum Links
Forum Rules