Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Powerbook, Hd Upgrade

Powerbook, Hd Upgrade
MacMcMacintosh
Jan 16, 2006, 11:16 AM

I have a rev A 17" Powerbook G4, it has a 60gb hd in it which isn't enough for me (i only have 8 gb left after i had removed a loads of stuff that i really would like to have on there).

Is it possibly to get a Hard Drive upgrade? if so what is the maximum size? Price? Would it invalidate my applecare? Can you get it done in the UK?

Thankyou for any advice that you maybe able to give to me

Phil

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 12:29 PM

get it doe by a certified Apple Tech Store - like Tekserve in NY - and it wont void the warrenty.

Put a larger AND a faster on in - it'll cost a few hundred but is well worth it - I put a 7200 travelstar in mine - they go up to 100gb
Thay will also give you your old HD in a case that is Bus powered from usb2/firewire

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 12:40 PM

For uk service places look here:

http://apple.via.infonow.net/locator....jsp?LOC=en_GB

Doing it yourself would invalidate AppleCare. I think maximum sizes at the mo are 120Gb 5400rpm drives and 100Gb 7200 rpm drives.

MacMcMacintosh  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 10:02 AM

Thansk for the help, really appriciate it!

Dr.Michael
Jan 18, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MacMcMacintosh
Thansk for the help, really appriciate it!
Don't miss some threads in the powerbook forum, like this one for example.
There is also a discussion going on about MacBook hds and large/fast hds in general.

Michael Wayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MacMcMacintosh
I have a rev A 17" Powerbook G4, it has a 60gb hd in it which isn't enough for me (i only have 8 gb left after i had removed a loads of stuff that i really would like to have on there).

Is it possibly to get a Hard Drive upgrade? if so what is the maximum size? Price? Would it invalidate my applecare? Can you get it done in the UK?

Thankyou for any advice that you maybe able to give to me

Phil
If it is out of warranty upgrade the drive to a Hitachi 7200 100g 2.5. ( Actual part details from Komplett (see further)
313242 Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 100GB 7200RPM IDE ATA/100 2,5" 9,5mmI )

Did it to my Al 15" PB couple of weeks ago. Go visit www.pbfixit.com for all the relevant info including the guide on how to do it. It will tell you which tools to get. I bought my replacment drive from Komplett.com.
Very good service and they were in stock. All other UK suppliers were 'awaiting deliveries'.
It took me 25 minutes from start to finish. Now I could do it in 10.
My next upgrade is the superdrive to Dual layer.

ICD2k3
Feb 6, 2006, 03:33 PM

Last week I had a couple certified apple techs replace my 60GB powerbook HDD with a 100GB Seagate 5400rpm and i LOVE it. The drive is super quiet, and I think it uses less battery power than my origional 4200rpm drive.

I decided to stray from the 7200rpm drives because of the price and smaller factors like noise and battery consumption. Basically (for the price) it was between 20GB or the extra 2000rpm and i chose the extra 20GB.

Also, if you take it to the apple store they will probably say that you have to by the HDD through them for them to even touch it. Even if you are outside of warranty anyways... so I took it to another store that sells macs (not the certified apple stores, but with staff that are certified apple repair techs).
15" 1.33 Powerbook - 1.25 RAM - 100GB Seagate 5400

Forum Links
Forum Rules