Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why my HD video wont work on a MacBook?

Why my HD video wont work on a MacBook?
bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 05:32 PM

I recorded High Def video shorts (saved as .mov's)
they play on my old powerbook, but on the ibooks and the new MacBooks quicktime takes me to the Apple Download 3rd party driver site and there is really nothing there to download for HD.
What is going on?
Is it the Graphics card?

ibook_steve
May 30, 2006, 06:53 PM

Any chance you don't have Quicktime Pro registered on the new machine and you did on the old one? That may be a QTPro feature. Just guessing.

Steve

bentoon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 07:46 PM

Yes,
but this shouldn't be a Pro feature. It's an HD issue and most users would don't even realize there is a Pro version of Qt...Interesting notion though.
Also the web page that Qt loads is not the 'get Qt Pro' page

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2006, 09:11 PM

What program did you record them with? Sounds like they use a codec that doesn't come with Quicktime normally. Just because they are .mov files doesn't necessarily mean that Quicktime will be able to play them without any additional software/plugins.

bentoon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 10:52 PM

streamed into Powerbook/FCP 1080/60i - these are the .mov files that Final Cut captured directly.
Hmmm.
I'll try exporting them as something else, but it is the first I have run into this problem.
I also capture 24p files (24F on the Canon H1) as .M2t files which play in VLC Media player on all machines but the ibook and MacBook.
?

ibook_steve
May 31, 2006, 01:09 PM

If it's H.264, then you do need QT Pro. Why not just enter your Pro license from your old machine to see if this fixes the problem? This doesn't seem Powerbook specific, though.

Steve

bentoon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 03:12 PM

nope it's a .mov file

like these
http://reelshit.com/Letus35XL-H1/
Watch out they are HUGE files

ibook_steve
May 31, 2006, 03:30 PM

I didn't think file suffixes had anything to do with it. I thought .mov encompassed all Quicktime movies, regardless of the codec used. I'm not sure I understand why you don't just transfer the QTPro license just to rule out the possibility of that being the problem.

Steve

bentoon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 04:12 PM

Hey Steve,
Yup, good advise, but I can't do this as the iBooks aren't mine (some of my students) and the Mac books I have tried are in stores. But I may inquire at Tekserve when I get a moment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules