Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook 17 screen.

New Powerbook 17 screen.
bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2007, 11:32 AM

So I cracked my screen on the old Powerbook. Now I want to get a new screen so I can give it to my Dad, who it will be perfect for.
Any ideas?
Tech Serve in NY wants like 900$ for a new screen...WTF?

there is this on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-APPLE-POWERB...QQcmdZViewItem

charmdustio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 12:16 PM

The screen is definitely compatible as they're the same LG models, I think. Do post back and let us know how this goes for you. We've been contemplating buy one of those for our 17" Powerbook 1.5 as well.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 12:59 PM

make sure you're getting an LCD with the same resolution.

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 03:04 PM

I am having this "rare" vertical lines issue ( thousands!) Dell recalled them.... Basically, a LOT of people have LP171w01 A4 1GHz - 1.67GHz ( except vey last revision to over 1440 x 900 - It seems we have a 30 pin connector.... and I'd LOVE to know what other brands/ choices I have....

Apple, if you ask, will replace with $329 + shipping + tax ( no matter how many parts are required..... ) and install.... but for a sub $200 part ( I'd love to know who to ask! ) I only know the Apple offer because I wrote steve.... If it's close in price, maybe a good idea.... I can rewire Darth Vader in 15 minutes, now what screens are compatible? If I fixed Mac's for a living.... where would I find this??? Anyone?
BUY AAPL STOCK! It will be going WAYYY UP!

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Armas View Post
Apple, if you ask, will replace with $329 + shipping + tax ( no matter how many parts are required..... ) and install.... but for a sub $200 part ( I'd love to know who to ask! ) I only know the Apple offer because I wrote steve.... If it's close in price, maybe a good idea.... I can rewire Darth Vader in 15 minutes, now what screens are compatible? If I fixed Mac's for a living.... where would I find this??? Anyone?
The FLAT RATE repair to which you are talking about, runs about $324 and does NOT cover accidental damage. For instance, if his LCD were having fuzzy lines and vertical stripes and stuff, then yes. But a cracked LCD, that goes under Tier 4 Accidental Damage, which runs about $1400.

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 02:55 PM

It can be covered, you just email steve, and he sends some kid to "take care of it". So, if he references vertical lines issues ( and says it cracked after..... he'll be fine! )

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2007, 03:22 PM

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
$399 for an LCD ??? Isn't that a bit absurd?

Google search finds a LOT under $200: LP171w01(A4) is the model

http://www.google.com/products?num=1...(A4)&scoring=p

Good luck!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules