Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Difference between pure .mp4 files and .mov's with mp4 content

Difference between pure .mp4 files and .mov's with mp4 content
zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 11:45 PM

Playing with QT6 and FCP3 this weekend I came upon a question...

When exporting to QuickTime I have a few options concerning mpeg-4. I can choose format: "MPEG-4" and it works to produce a .mp4 that works well but with "QuickTime Movie" in where I choose MPEG4 as the video and audio compression algorithm I have more options .. I can manually choose the size of the "to be compressed" movie (in MPEG-4 I'm limited to 320px width or 160px width), I can add contrast and brightness adjustments, etc...

So which is the better one to use? What are the key differences between these two paths? Should I opt for the .mp4 as its more standard format and can be opened by other media players (possibly Real .. I hear it's trying to implement ISO compatible MPEG-4)?

Your thoughts and comments very welcome...
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2002, 12:22 AM

I havent seen any difference in quality /size ratio for mp4 vs qt mov mpeg4. Im pretty sure they use the same algorithm. But .mp4 is more compatible....ie mpeg4 .mov can only be played by qt player and programs with qt plugins. I always use qt .mov because of the options you talked about and because its easyer to edit any time later with fcp for whatever. Plus it forces potential downloady's to use qt instead of some other lame windows media player to view it. they are both just as iso compliant. ... .mov is just better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules