Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Moving to a new computer

Moving to a new computer
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 02:32 PM

I'm getting ready to get my first new computer in 8 years or so, and was wondering what the easiest way to go about moving my stuff from my old machine to the new one? In particular, my iTunes library and my browser settings and such. The old computer is a Graphite iMac running 10.3.9 with a bum FW port, and the new one is the low end 20" iMac Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 02:37 PM

Congrats on your sizable upgrade! Without a Firewire port the next best option is local network filesharing through ethernet. I'd get a router, connect both computers to it, enable file sharing in the sharing pane of System Preferences of the old iMac and then either connect through the Network folder in the Finder or "Connect to Server" in the Finder's File menu.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks! I forgot to mention I do have an Airport Extreme, and I think the new machine comes with a card installed. Excellent.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 02:42 PM

Cool, let us know if you have additional questions.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stukdog
Jan 30, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
Thanks! I forgot to mention I do have an Airport Extreme, and I think the new machine comes with a card installed. Excellent.
The direct ethernet connection would be much quicker than an Airport connect. But, if it's not possible to go wired then the Extreme is better than nothing.

One last option: If you have an external hard drive with both USB and Firewire, maybe you could clone to that using the USB and then use the Firewire to connect to your new machine. That would let you use the Migration Assistant that comes with the new Macs and works extremely well.

Good luck...and enjoy the new machine.
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

Woebgon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 09:21 PM

If you buy one from a local Apple Store they will do the transfer for free. You can't beat that. The following is a quote from Apple's website:

When you buy a new Mac from any Apple Store, you qualify for a free data transfer as part of your Standard Care service. That means you can walk into an Apple Store with your old PC and walk out with a new Mac that contains all of your data. And in many cases, you can do it all in one day. No muss, no fuss, no downtime. A real-life, honest-to-goodness, certified Apple Genius will take care of everything for you, including walking you through the process so you’re never in the dark.

To have a Genius transfer your data from PC to Mac at an Apple retail store, bring along your PC with:

Windows 98 or later
A working Ethernet port, FireWire port, internal Zip drive, 3.5-inch floppy drive, or parallel port
Windows OS installation CDs
PC keyboard and mouse (for desktop computers)

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Woebgon View Post
If you buy one from a local Apple Store they will do the transfer for free. You can't beat that. The following is a quote from Apple's website:
How old is the article you pulled that from, exactly?
Signature depreciated.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 04:43 PM

I'm moving from a Graphite 700 Mhz iMac, wonder is they'll still do that, or if i'll be told it's not possible without FW. I do have an external drive, but it's only FW, I planned on upgrading years ago, just never did, and that was how I was going to do it, from the drive to the new machine, just can't get to the drive now!

I do have another question....What's the benefit of having an Apple TV if this iMac comes with Front Row? My understanding is that the Apple TV will allow me to play whatever I want to play on the TV in the living room, is that pretty much it?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
How old is the article you pulled that from, exactly?
I remember reading that a short while ago too... I don't believe it's outdated, I think it's a new policy they put in so Grandma can take her PC into the store and walk out with a new Mac with all her pictures etc. on it

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post

I do have another question....What's the benefit of having an Apple TV if this iMac comes with Front Row? My understanding is that the Apple TV will allow me to play whatever I want to play on the TV in the living room, is that pretty much it?
The question is: are you going to be buying/renting movies from the iTunes music store?... if yes, then A) would you rather watch these on your TV (or buy/rent directly from your TV)
B) Or are you happy watching on your large-screen iMac.

If "A" go with AppleTV, if "B" the iMac should be a great media player for you. I for one wouldn't mind watching movies on an iMac (as long as it's situated correctly, and not at say a desk where I'd have to be in a computer chair)

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2008, 11:21 AM

I will probably be renting movies for the kids as well as me, and probably buy a few for them, and while the computer sits where it's comfortable to see, I don't always want all the kids here, or to give up the computer while they watch a movie, thanks!

Is it possible to rip a bunch of DVD's and upload them to just the ATV, and not sync to the computer? Some movies the kids watch over and over, and being kids, the DVD's get scratched pretty quickly, but I don't want my drive on the computer full of Disney movies either!

Forum Links
Forum Rules