Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Classic Mac Software Archive

Classic Mac Software Archive
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2016, 05:20 AM

Hi Guys. I know this forum is pretty much dead but I figured it's worth it to post anyway. I need assistance!

I am putting together my own software archive for classic Mac software:
MacFixer Vintage Software Library

I've been able to put together a good collection so far from some very authoritative sources, so I've been pretty happy. I'm hosting all my downloads myself, meaning this archive should never "go stale" like many other sites. And maybe best of all, I'm making the web page with very antiquated HTML4, so you can actually use the site ON old Macs directly, using all but the most ancient web browsers. But I'm getting to the point now, where things are getting more hairy.

I've got a "wish list" of software that I'm looking for. Most likely, there are people out there with old CDs on a spool somewhere with most or all of this software. So hopefully, if you have any, you can shoot me a disk image of yours? I'm not looking for copied collections or your own burned backups. I'm looking for original, authentic, "retail" discs. Some of these things (like OS 8.5) are not free OSes technically, but let me worry about the legality of posting these. To be clear, I don't need you to send me your disc, I'm hoping you'll be able to send me disk images of YOUR authentic, original discs.

If you have any full retail discs (not the grey "included with your new Mac" discs) of these OSes, let me know:
Mac OS 8.5
Mac OS 8.6 (the full installer, not the updater) (not sure if this exists as a "retail" disc, or only as a "Machine specific include" disc)
Mac OS 9.0

Also, and just as important to me, if you have any Classic Mac version of Netscape or Internet Explorer (v1 through v5), that comes on any sort of authoritative disk (for example, I got IE3 off the original OS 8 disc), I'd at least like IE 1 thru 4 and Netscape 1 thru 4.

I know there are plenty of other sources for this software on the web, but most of them are very sketchy. Lots of broken links. And lots of jumbled together software where you're not really getting what you want, like 68K only instead of FAT or separate 68K and PPC packages. It's kind of a hassle, which will hopefully make my website all the more useful.

Beyond those big wants, if there is anything else you have that you think my archive lacks, that will be handy for people who toy with classic Macs, certainly feel free to suggest it. I do have about a million shareware games on various disks that are on my to-do list on this page, but I want to get the real important stuff squared away first.

andi*pandi
Aug 5, 2016, 10:39 AM

Great idea, neatly organized!

P
Aug 5, 2016, 12:31 PM

I suppose that a Swedish language version of that install disc is not so interesting? I think I have 8.5-S somewhere, otherwise. 9.0 came with an iMac and I don't know if 8.6 was ever on a retail disc.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2016, 03:04 PM

Thanks

... and yeah ill pass on Swedish 8.5. I'll never be able to get all of this software in every available language it was released in, so I'm just going to stick to English. The 9.0 is tempting but if I can find a legit "boxed" retail disc, that would be idea.

P
Aug 5, 2016, 06:26 PM

Wasn't offering on the 9.0, I dont think it is a generic version - just for whatever iMac I had.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules