Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Is anybody else still bored to death with all of the gray/metal?

Is anybody else still bored to death with all of the gray/metal?
Ham Sandwich
Dec 19, 2016, 10:53 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:31 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2016, 02:30 AM

Boy, were people up in arms about how unprofessional the gumdrop colours supposedly were...everybody rejoiced when the pinstripes disappeared...nostalgia is weird.

P
Dec 20, 2016, 03:40 AM

As usual, I moan about the large swings in Apple's interfaces. The current setup is too bland - in particular, all the folder icons are monochrome and indistinguishable - but the windows in general are OK now, and I like the change in the zoom button function. A little bit more color in folders and toolbars, remove the pointer dropshadow (because you can reduce the mouse lag that way), make the menubar be always there and less transparent and let me move the dock to the corner again. Nothing too big.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 20, 2016, 04:54 AM

Generally agree with P, except the zoom button function, which drives me crazy.

You can make the menubar be always present by turning off all the Mission Control functions. This also fixes the wackiness with multiple displays, returning things to the older normal behaviors. I have a low-transparency menubar, presumably also from turning off Mission Control.

P
Dec 20, 2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Generally agree with P, except the zoom button function, which drives me crazy.
The current behavior of the zoom button mirrors how it worked in System 6 - you know, before 1991 - so I'm feeling right at home.

(You can get the old behavior of the zoom button back if you hold the option key)

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You can make the menubar be always present by turning off all the Mission Control functions. This also fixes the wackiness with multiple displays, returning things to the older normal behaviors. I have a low-transparency menubar, presumably also from turning off Mission Control.
The way I'm working right now is that I use Mission Control when only on the laptop display, but not when using the big desktop display. It works sort of. I like to have Mail in particular maximized on the laptop display, even if it does work strangely sometimes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kiana mckylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Boy, were people up in arms about how unprofessional the gumdrop colours supposedly were...everybody rejoiced when the pinstripes disappeared...nostalgia is weird.
Hahaha. This is so true. I was on the frontline of being up in arms about how i really loathed the gumdrop colours. This gave me memories!

Forum Links
Forum Rules