Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Problems with image resizing in InDesign

Problems with image resizing in InDesign
HamSandwich
Jun 23, 2017, 04:51 PM

Hey friends (and foes!),

how do you do? How is everyone? What's up? I have a question in InDesign. Concerning image resizing. I tried to put my images in here as JPG, but it was pixelated (is that English? sry). You saw all the pixels at the borders, at the contures. What can I do? I reformatted, tried in TIFF, now it was better. But some images are awry, just went down. What now? I thought about trying converting in PDF. What can I do? I already resetted everything in InDesign, to highest quality, including "Überdruckenvorschau", whatever that is in English, you know the printing preview setting.

HELP! Now what? It's a bit urgent, assignments again, have to show it on Tuesday. Please support a young man on the road...

Greetings and have fun, hope you are well,
Parker

Thorzdad
Jun 25, 2017, 02:32 PM

In InDesign (as in all Adobe products) there's a control in the Preferences that says something like "Use preview for placed images" or somesuch. Sounds like you are seeing the low-rez preview image and not the actal image. Find the control and tell it to show the full-rez placed image.

HamSandwich
Jun 25, 2017, 03:14 PM

Hey everyone,

nah, no way. When you do a PDF, doesn't work. Pixel galore. Everywhere. Not funny. What to do? I can try again using PDFs instead of my TIFFs. In Photoshop, everything is great. Maybe the images are too big, whatever. Somehow, rasterisation is going on, I dunno...

What's up... Hmm... Difficult, have to get this done, have to hand it in in 8 days.

Greetings,
PP

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2017, 01:21 PM

Thorzdad is right, there is a preference for preview to show low res images. Otherwise it would take forever to scroll around and render high quality images.
Indesign>Preferences>Display Performance

Also check:
View>Display Performance

What is the size/resolution of your tifs? Where did you get them? (google vs stock photography vs your own camera) I don't think format matters as much as it used to, but I would stick with tifs and eps files for Indesign.

"When you do a PDF..." do you mean export the whole project? Which PDF export are you using? For instance, if I want a quick PDF for email, I use

File>Adobe PDF Presets>[Smallest File Size]

for better quality, choose
File>Adobe PDF Presets>[Print Quality]

Thorzdad
Jun 26, 2017, 03:33 PM

Where you are sourcing the images? If you are using low-rez images found online, then re-sizing them up, you are going to get pixelization. Your images should be print quality (i.e. 300dpi) and sized in Photoshop to fit the space you've designed in your InDesign page. Too often, people just grab images from anywhere, place them in InDesign and then scale them up and down there, expecting great results.

Forum Links
Forum Rules