Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Tracing back a sickness within American society

Tracing back a sickness within American society (Page 3)
Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Who said I started with that in my mid-30s?
I didn't say you did.

A can-do attitude is important in life, but you can't just will things into existence.
Without a focused will you can't achieve excellence, either.

I still think you are wildly overestimating the financial reach of most people
I'm aware of your opinion, you've already stated it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2017, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
They start out a bit off, then they get gradually worse. You're on the way. Give it a couple more generations.

I'm amused by the idea the Trump clan needs to be on the look out for dangerous recessives from Czechoslovakian models.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I won't argue with this.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm amused by the idea the Trump clan needs to be on the look out for dangerous recessives from Czechoslovakian models.
Those two are like clones of their old man. For all we know, thats exactly what they are. He has the money and the narcissism to try it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 06:34 AM

Cloning? 40 years ago? It doesn't matter how much money a person has when the tech for such a thing hadn't even been dreamt of yet. Back then it was nothing more than a fanciful sci-fi plot. You and your Hollywood view on life...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 3, 2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Wait, you thought what I posted was a complete financial plan? Wrapped-up in a few sentences? Seriously?

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, in Western society can be financially secure and retire by 50 if they simply find work they enjoy, manage their money wisely, don't take upon debt (except perhaps a mortgage), and invest 10-15% of their annual pay in general market indicator funds. In fact, it's so damned easy it's ludicrous, yet many still view such a thing as witchcraft or "only for a select few", which is an outright lie, a ploy perpetrated by those who profit by keeping others from succeeding and in debt.
That's literally how you packaged it.

Let's requote that for emphasis.

In fact, it's so damned easy it's ludicrous
So I point out how that it's not that simple at all, and you fire back with another classic CTP. Deflect! Attack! Backpedal! There's more to it than that! You're stupid if you think that it's so damed easy it's ludicrous.

An individual retirement plan takes a great deal of preparation, much more than you'll find in a forum post, tailored to each family's needs.
I agree, but I'm not the one making forum posts saying that it's so damned easy it's ludicrous.

if you're falling short then there are areas you aren't accounting for.
I mean, let's looks at your steps to success.

1. find work they enjoy,
2. manage their money wisely,
3. don't take upon debt (except perhaps a mortgage),
4. invest 10-15% of their annual pay in general market indicator funds.

But here I am like a schlub, unable to retire at 50. Maybe it's more complex than can be put in a single forum post?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Maybe it's more complex than can be put in a single forum post?
No, you are misinformed. It's actually so damn easy it's ludicrous.

I'm sure I read something to that effect on the internet somewhere.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2017, 08:25 PM

Cloning? 40 years ago? It doesn't matter how much money a person has when the tech for such a thing hadn't even been dreamt of yet. Back then it was nothing more than a fanciful sci-fi plot. You and your Hollywood view on life...
You'd believe it if Alex Jones said it.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
^^That's how I always know that YOU know you're wrong. (That and those thumbsup things.)

That's literally how you packaged it.
Again, it's incredibly ignorant to believe that what I was saying was comprehensive, and now you're lashing out because you know your were wrong.

So I point out how that it's not that simple at all, and you fire back with another classic CTP. Deflect! Attack! Backpedal! There's more to it than that! You're stupid if you think that it's so damed easy it's ludicrous.
and this post, with you yelling and making a fool of yourself, is classic Laminar embarrassment mixed with grandstanding. It's like watching a little kid emotionally implode while seeking attention.

I agree, but I'm not the one making forum posts saying that it's so damned easy it's ludicrous.
It IS easy to execute such a strategy, but it takes a good deal of planning.

I mean, let's looks at your steps to success.
Yep. More info is needed to tailor a retirement plan for the people involved, but in broad terms that's the way to start.

But here I am like a schlub, unable to retire at 50. Maybe it's more complex than can be put in a single forum post?
Well, that's essentially your own fault for just assuming you'd investigated all avenues to early retirement or working with the wrong investment manager, and it's by no means uncommon, so you shouldn't feel bad about it.

Maybe early retirement isn't for you? Some people love their work and don't plan on retiring, my mom is one of those (she's a translator for an elementary school and loves working with the kids every day). She's in her early 70s are they'll probably be carting her out of that school on a stretcher one day, it's her passion.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 08:10 AM

You'd believe it if Alex Jones said it.
If you say so. The problem is, I don't watch Jones. I once did, because he's good for a laugh, but he's not nearly as entertaining without a Dem in the White House, to really get him going.

Anyway, it's interesting watching you mix Hollywood and real life WRT so many topics, you honestly don't know where fiction and reality meet sometimes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2017, 11:17 AM

If you say so. The problem is, I don't watch Jones. I once did, because he's good for a laugh, but he's not nearly as entertaining without a Dem in the White House, to really get him going.
You do seem to keep repeating things that he is the first/only one to say though. Was it ISIS or Antifa he falsely said claimed credit for Vegas? It was one or the other and you repeated it here before anyone else was saying it.

Anyway, it's interesting watching you mix Hollywood and real life WRT so many topics, you honestly don't know where fiction and reality meet sometimes.
Scientists make a fuss about cloning being difficult, but you just take the stuff out of one cell and put it in another and then its IVF after that. If people abandoned all morality and did a massive test with thousands of embryos, you'd probably get a couple that were viable just by chance. I think Donald would certainly have the lack of moral fibre to stoop to that if he decided its what he wanted.

And you say I'm the one who can't recognise a troll.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 11:44 AM

When did Alex Jones take over CBS News? Other networks reported this as well.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-veg...-terror-group/
Last Updated Oct 2, 2017 7:14 AM EDT

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed on Monday that the man who opened fire on concertgoers in Las Vegas, killing at least 58 people, was acting on behalf of the group, but offered no evidence.

The terror group said in a pair of statements released by its pseudo-news agency Amaq, citing anonymous sources, that the gunman, identified by police as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, converted to Islam several months ago and carried out the attack, "in response to calls to target states of the coalition" battling ISIS.

The statement offered no proof of a link with Paddock, nor did it identify him by name.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 12:43 PM

You do seem to keep repeating things that he is the first/only one to say though.
How would you know? How much Alex Jones do you watch?

Scientists make a fuss about cloning being difficult, but you just take the stuff out of one cell and put it in another and then its IVF after that.
There's your sci-fi beliefs again. Seriously man, this is nuts.

And you say I'm the one who can't recognise a troll.
I'm trolling you? You're the one trying to explain how cloning could have been done nearly a half century ago. That's brilliant.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 12:54 PM

House passes The Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-p...-20-week-mark/
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2017, 07:17 PM

^^ That's awesome.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2017, 08:18 PM

I'm trolling you? You're the one trying to explain how cloning could have been done nearly a half century ago. That's brilliant.
My implication is that I'm trolling you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules