Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mitsubishi Magna VR-X

Mitsubishi Magna VR-X
tintub
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 09:57 PM

I'm thinking of getting a new car. Anyone got anything to say about the Magna VR-X?

signal68
Banned
Sep 29, 2003, 11:06 PM

Never heard of it.

If I was goign to get a mitsu it'd be a galant VR-4. I love those cars. Look lame. Go like crazy.

- Rob

Ken Masters
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 03:16 AM

Yeah, I like the look of the new Magna's really really interesting.

I really hate its rear though; it�s stayed the same.

But it�s a good buy, cheap, and ok.

Not good, not bad, in the middle, cheap car, not so cheap performance, ok reliability.

Its made in Australia, its gotta be trusted. Unless you get a Holden, a lemon of a vehicle

Mr Grimsdale
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 05:06 AM

bah!
jap cars are souless lumps of metal - they might go fast but they lack breeding

buy an alfa

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale:
bah!
jap cars are souless lumps of metal - they might go fast but they lack breeding

buy an alfa
Lot's of 'soul' but also has lot's of crapy Fiat build quality. Italians can't put cars together for ****.

Ken Masters
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 09:23 AM

The Japanese may not have invented cars,

but they truely have
re-invented it.

Theres a reason why the best cars/car parts in the world come from Japan.

That goes for everything else electronic.

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 09:28 AM

what about the ford falcon XR6 (and a mate insists I test drive a toyota corrolla but IMO they look like girls' cars ) (and they are small...)

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 09:35 AM

get a cheap car, turbo diesel.........

Unless fuel is cheap the ..........

pm me mu@@erflooker
i and i am an ideeot , yes

Ken Masters
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
what about the ford falcon XR6 (and a mate insists I test drive a toyota corrolla but IMO they look like girls' cars ) (and they are small...)
Your comparing apple to oranges.....

That's like comparing a Hyundia excel against a Honda Accord.

Not on....

Corrolla vs Barina vs Hyundia vs every other girly car out there.

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 11:05 AM

Gimmie a budget and a list of requirements...

Mr Grimsdale
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Lot's of 'soul' but also has lot's of crapy Fiat build quality. Italians can't put cars together for ****.
had mine 3 years and no problem
look after them and they're fine

of course if you want to look like some wannabe gangsta paki drive a mitsubishi or toyota supra

Ken Masters
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale:
had mine 3 years and no problem
look after them and they're fine

of course if you want to look like some wannabe gangsta paki drive a mitsubishi or toyota supra
That statement is a bit broad don't you think!!!

You probably don't even know what the Mitsubishi V-RX Even looks like or what it is.

Its a medium size family car.

Wow i can see Gangsta wannabies driving those

Mr Grimsdale
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
That statement is a bit broad don't you think!!!

You probably don't even know what the Mitsubishi V-RX Even looks like or what it is.
who cares

i like broad sweeping statements

like this for example
"jews are bad people and need to be eradicated"

gadster
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 07:36 AM

I'm thinking of getting a new car. Anyone got anything to say about the Magna VR-X?
Ai. Check this out. redbook.com.au
I just bought a car myself and spent a lot of time there comparing makes models etc

I ended up getting a second hand Magna. Good bang/buck, but not good resale value (which is good if you are buying second hand).

Looks like the 2003 VR-X has all the goodies: 3.5L V6, traction control, EDB, ABS, etc. But for AU$40k, you got a lot of other options.
( Last edited by gadster; Oct 1, 2003 at 07:44 AM. )
e-gads

Ken Masters
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 08:57 AM

-snip-
Looks like the 2003 VR-X has all the goodies: 3.5L V6, traction control, EDB, ABS, etc. But for AU$40k, you got a lot of other options. [/B]
For 40k

Get a Camry V6 or a Honda Accord It�s got better resale value, and has all the luxuries.

HONDA....HONDA.....HONDA!!!

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 09:29 AM

For 40k

Get a Camry V6 or a Honda Accord It�s got better resale value, and has all the luxuries.

HONDA....HONDA.....HONDA!!!
Camry - don't like the name even though I don't know much about it. I have thought about the Honda. My friend (who knows/cares more about cars than me) says that if I have an accident in a Honda it would be much more expensive than in any other car. OTOH, I haven't ever had an accident in 8 years of driving, and I don't really factor that into the cost. If I have an accident, that's my bad luck. I'll get fully comp insurance anyway. My gf will almost certainly want to drive it sometimes. I'm dreading that

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 10:12 AM

MAGNA VR-X?
Wait a minute!!!
I receive emails almost everyday offering me to increase my penis size with Magna VR-X!
Does that mean that if I drive a Mitsubishi,I'll have a bigger penis?
I swear I used to drive a Galant and it didn't got bigger
There is no spoon

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 04:14 PM

After a test drive, I think you might just opt for one of these, If you can prise noddy out of the driving seat

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by gadster:
Ai. Check this out. redbook.com.au
I just bought a car myself and spent a lot of time there comparing makes models etc

I ended up getting a second hand Magna. Good bang/buck, but not good resale value (which is good if you are buying second hand).

Looks like the 2003 VR-X has all the goodies: 3.5L V6, traction control, EDB, ABS, etc. But for AU$40k, you got a lot of other options.
thanks for the link!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2003, 09:10 PM

They should just name cars like they do cities in anime.

Call it a Mitsubishi Neo Gen Tokyo Zeta X Dragon 2000
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 11:54 PM

Turns out I may have to stick with either Mitsubishi, Holden or Ford. Reason is if I get them through work, I get a hefty (~30%) discount, whereas with a Honda, I would only get the tax back (~10%). Which brings me back to the magna, which seems great, but as people have mentioned, lose value quicker because they are always turning out new models.

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 01:09 AM

Turns out I may have to stick with either Mitsubishi, Holden or Ford. Reason is if I get them through work, I get a hefty (~30%) discount, whereas with a Honda, I would only get the tax back (~10%). Which brings me back to the magna, which seems great, but as people have mentioned, lose value quicker because they are always turning out new models.
It may not be what you're looking for, but what about a Ford Focus? Quite nice cars to drive. A bit more "European" than the Aussie fords, as Ford over here in NZ is currently beating into us with a big stick at every opportunity. What I don't understand is that the Focus has just launched this year in NZ, whereas it came out in Europe at least 4 years ago. Must be something to do with that arrangement Ford & Mazda had down under.

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 02:21 AM

Hmmm

Well, seeing as it's an Aussie road/traffic situation, then the locally developed machines such as the Falcon, Commodore, Magna make a lot of sense, IMHO.

I think most would agree that the driving conditions here are more akin to the US, than anywhere else, especially the UK and Europe generally.

Hence the popularity of medium to largish cars, with a medium to large engine capacity, plenty of low down pulling power, or grunt if you will, making a very relaxed and capable motoring experience across the stop and start of the urban jungle.

Still, some will prefer a smaller, perhaps European, or quasi European car for suburban, and some extra urban duties, but if you're thinking of interstate or country driving at all, the larger vehicles very much come into their own.

Of course, I would prefer say a BMW 5 series, or Merc C or E class to a Falcon/Commodore, as they're
similar in size and performance, albeit the Merc/BMW is more refined, particularly as regards NVH standards.

Needless to say, the differences in cost, are only partly reflected in quality, the rest being import duty/tarrifs (15%) plus once over 55K, there is the luxury car tax as well - so the cost of the equivalent sized Euros - ie six cylinder Benz/Bimmer etc, is prohibitive to a lot of folks, and makes the Falcon/Commodore very good value indeed.

Comparing a similar cost smaller Euro, such as a VW Golf, which is a 'typical' European family car, to a Falcon/Commodore - a 'typical' Australian family car, is no comparison in terms of quietness, comfort, power, ride etc., and arguably suitability for the local environment.

On the other hand, with a fully galvanised body shell, and the best fit and finish in the business the VW/Audi group product makes a compelling and appealing case for itself on the quality basis, and of course the 'prestige' angle with the way it is marketed here.

But as to the Falcon/Commodore/Magna trio?

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Magna for one reason. Front wheel drive, and the fact that I'm a keen driver.

If you want a well equipped and made 'fridge on wheels' the Mitusubishi Magna will do very well, but if you like driving, either the Falcon, or particularly the Commodore in V8 form, will give a much more involving driving experience.

If a V8 is out of the question, and it has to be a six, I would favour the Falcon, as the inline six is a lot more refined than the soon to be replaced rather harsh V6 in the Commodore.

Also resale is a problem with the Magna, which would be another reason to consider either the Falcon or the Commodore, both consisently reviewed as offering some of the best value for money motoring anywhere in the world.

Anyway, just a thought :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Johnboi
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

Ken Masters
Banned
Oct 2, 2003, 02:53 AM

Yeah, but think of the money u will be saving when you need to sell it. Also, Honda rarely ever breaks down, we had a prelude for nearly 10 years and it has never broken down. The gearbox got stiff over time, but we got that fixed. AMAZNG!!! Also, Holden�s, Mitsubishi, and Fords resale price goes down the drain after 2 years.

Honda Civic sedan, 25k car and cheap to run.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 2, 2003, 02:58 AM

Yeah, but think of the money u will be saving when you need to sell it. Also, Honda rarely ever breaks down, we had a prelude for nearly 10 years and it has never broken down. The gearbox got stiff over time, but we got that fixed. AMAZNG!!! Also, Holden�s, Mitsubishi, and Fords resale price goes down the drain after 2 years.

Honda Civic sedan, 25k car and cheap to run.
Hondas also have crappy torque. Get more than 2 people in the car and you feel like a turtle. Forget about going uphill on the interstate at any decent speed.

That is the Civics.

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 05:38 AM

test drive them all....

Is it a lease deal, will you have to hand the vehicle back ?

if not then.........

look at re-sale values in the guide books
talk to other colleages about their cars
consider the losses against a 1 or 2 year old(second hand) car over the time u will have it for. or a 10 year old car / or whatever
look at car review mags / net
everyone will have their own opinion on whats good/bad or looks good/bad.
Consider fuel prices and the engine, - work out the yearly fuel bill against a turbo diesel model and calculate the saving there. this and depreciation and insurance will be the major dollar munchers.
Your old second hand banger might last for a few years more and once you have signed for a new one you might come to wish you had held on to the little baby...or is it unreliable ? My 92 audi 80 has not let me down for 2 years, starts everytime.
I have had newish cars and they have been unreliable, and not as fun to drive as say my old v6 XR4x4 sierra that i used to have which was cheap as f*ck...i hear in aus. u can get an old vr8 version of that ( fat boy V8 under the bonnet and a 4x4- nice, old but nice )

Good luck anyway ... You kind of commit yourself a lot more financially with a new car..... I have wanted my cash back many a time after the novelty wears off.

---never had a new one, but never had a tax break , so my opinion comes from my situation.....as does anyones / or yours

V8 and v6 are smoooth responsive, good fun to drive especially with 4 wheel drive. but cost more so.......blah blah .... get in some and cane about a bit should be a laugh...... get down the dealerships
later

Forum Links
Forum Rules