Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I really want to get rid of this person

I really want to get rid of this person
Veronica
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 09:57 PM

What to do if you live together with 4 guys and a girl, and the one guy is far from what you would imagine a friend to be. Or not even a friend, but just a person you would like to have social contact with since you�re living together.

The problem is that he has just moved in and we didn�t have the time to find "the one" because of the rent due. So now we�re stuck with him as far as we can see. Maybe we could falsely accuse him of stealing so that he�ll find it best to move

Well, what to do, what to do...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Veronica:
What to do if you live together with 4 guys and a girl, and the one guy is far from what you would imagine a friend to be. Or not even a friend, but just a person you would like to have social contact with since you�re living together.

The problem is that he has just moved in and we didn�t have the time to find "the one" because of the rent due. So now we�re stuck with him as far as we can see. Maybe we could falsely accuse him of stealing so that he�ll find it best to move

Simple.

Just kill him, chop him up into little parts and distribute his remains in various parts of the city.

No one will be the wiser.

Or you can just tell him to get the hell out because no one likes him.

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Simple.

Just kill him, chop him up into little parts and distribute his remains in various parts of the city.

No one will be the wiser.

Or you can just tell him to get the hell out because no one likes him.
I hate confrontations, so I guess I�ll just chop him up. Thanks for the advice!

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:21 PM

I hate confrontations, so I guess I�ll just chop him up. Thanks for the advice!
You do realize that chopping him up will be a confrontation it's self.. well unless you poison him or something.

hehe.. do you think he knows people all over the world on a mac forum are plotting his murder?

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
You do realize that chopping him up will be a confrontation it's self.. well unless you poison him or something.

hehe.. do you think he knows people all over the world on a mac forum are plotting his murder?
Well, if he�d find that out, he isn�t smart enough to actually realise that we�re talking about him.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 10:41 PM

Ever hear of "doing the 'right' thing?"

That means not USING people. He helped you guys out of a jam and now you want to discard him?

You sound like a really nice person.

Too bad he got stuck with YOU.

tintub
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:45 PM

grow up. you invited him to live with you cos you needed the rent. to kick him out now that you've got the rent paid would be really pathetic. my guess is he will move out himself when he realises what a bunch of c*nts you are.

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:

That means not USING people. He helped you guys out of a jam and now you want to discard him?

Hmm.. He helped us out in the way that if we hadn�t said yes to him, we would�ve been stuck with that rent as well. So he didn�t do us a favour in that sort of way, he needed a place to live, we needed a guy to live with. And then we realised he wasn�t the one to complete our commune.

Clear enough?

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
grow up. you invited him to live with you cos you needed the rent. to kick him out now that you've got the rent paid would be really pathetic. my guess is he will move out himself when he realises what a bunch of c*nts you are.
If I had grown up, I would�ve lived by myself, wouldn�t I?

Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:54 PM

Adopt an overwhelmingly superior attitude whenever he's around; there's nothing more irritating.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 11:43 PM

Proof that Sherwie's rule of habitation #1 is a truth.

1) Never live with anyone who either (a) isn't family or (b) you aren't shagging.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 6, 2003, 12:58 AM

If I had grown up, I would�ve lived by myself, wouldn�t I?
You've posted arguments to both of those points yourself.

1. You want to get rid of someone who helped you out in a jam. "we would've been stuck with that rent as well"

2. You live with "with 4 guys and a girl", not "lived by myself".

So, from those two points, I can safely deduce that you have not "grown up"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2003, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:

1) Never live with anyone who either (a) isn't family or (b) you aren't shagging.

dude. that's my rule.

I later ammended it to exclude subchapter (b) altogether.

and as soon as a family member shows any intent to move-in with me, I plan to exclude folks described in subchapter (a).

nerd
Senior User
Dec 6, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:

Agreed

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2003, 01:30 AM

This is not clear enough?

And then we realised he wasn�t the one to complete our commune.
What does this mean? Is this an Avercronby and Fich thing?

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
This is not clear enough?

What does this mean? Is this an Avercronby and Fich thing?
It�s my humble Norwegian way of explaining myself in English.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 08:11 AM

You're not humble.

You're a user.

Tintub, you rule --->

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2003, 08:41 AM

They should have been upfront about that.

Sticking with the WRONG thing out of GUILT is most definitely just as bad - probably worse for all involved, actually.

-s*

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 09:16 AM

I agree. But they should have said, "Okay, we need a roommate, so we'll give you a shot at it for a temporary period, about 2 months, and if it's not working out then we'll tell you and give you a month to find another place to live."

THAT is the right way to handle it.

Then there's this comment:

And then we realised he wasn�t the one to complete our commune.
Uh, is this a Norwegian branch of "Heavensgate?"

<snicker>

Apparently so!

gadster
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 09:23 AM

Crack onto him, that should do the trick.
e-gads

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2003, 09:46 AM

Hmm.. He helped us out in the way that if we hadn�t said yes to him, we would�ve been stuck with that rent as well. So he didn�t do us a favour in that sort of way, he needed a place to live, we needed a guy to live with. And then we realised he wasn�t the one to complete our commune.

Clear enough?
I lived in a number of snot nosed communes in my life, and I'll say just one thing about yours. I am but fucking glad I don't live with you people.

Edit: How about some honesty????????? Just speak to the guy. Tell him you don't feel comfortable with him and that you don't think it will work out. What the hell is wrong with you anyway? Are you too young, too stupid or too spoilt to realise that you too could get booted out of a commune one day after the people had spent your money?
( Last edited by theolein; Dec 6, 2003 at 09:57 AM. )
weird wabbit

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2003, 09:55 AM

Uh, is this a Norwegian branch of "Heavensgate?"

<snicker>

Apparently so!
Um are you on crack?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
I lived in a number of snot nosed communes in my life, and I'll say just one thing about yours. I am but fucking glad I don't live with you people. What a bunch of arrogant snot nosed pricks!
Well theolein, with your attitude and profanity bursts it is hardly a coincidence you've lived in a number of snot nosed communes. One tends to despise in other people what one recognizes in one self eh theo?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Well theolein, with your attitude and profanity bursts it is hardly a coincidence you've lived in a number of snot nosed communes. One tends to despise in other people what one recognizes in one self eh theo?
Mmmm. Could it be that you're still pissed because I criticised you for your attack in the picture thread? Could be, because: I am a lot of things, some of them unpleasant, and yes, I do swear a lot, and yes, I've got a very short temper, but arrogant is one thing I am definitely not.

I have experienced the above situation in a WG (German for commune) first hand, and experienced another situation where the 8 other members of the WG brought a woman member of the commune to tears by openly attacking her because she was a doctor and was therefore not "partaking in commune life enough", and this where the woman was working as an intern i.e. 12 hour shifts 6 days a week.

A group of people ganging up on someone is simply low, IMO. It's cowardly and unnecessary.
weird wabbit

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 10:22 AM

A group of people ganging up on someone is simply low, IMO. It's cowardly and unnecessary.
no, it's the basis of most TV game shows.

-r.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 10:24 AM

i had a fight with a couple of people years ago. now I live together with 3 friends in a beautiful house with 35 rooms spare. Recently a friend of the others asked if he could move in with us, but the thing is, he was one of the guys i had a fight with back then.

I said :"HELL NO" (my revenge). The other people in the house agreed, because two people who cant stand eachother in the same house is bad for having a good time all together.

If you are not sure about a person, don't let him in. When it's too late, tell the others and find a way to move him out. Personally, I would tell the person to move out asap, and stay friends. If this has no effect ; make his/her situation unbearable and force him/her out. People need to understand they are no part of the group and make up their mind.

Though i wouldn't falsely accuse people of theft, that's just low. VERY low.
( Last edited by PB2K; Dec 6, 2003 at 10:31 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 10:28 AM

theolin
I lived in a number of snot nosed communes in my life, and I'll say just one thing about yours. I am but ****ing glad I don't live with you people.

Edit: How about some honesty????????? Just speak to the guy. Tell him you don't feel comfortable with him and that you don't think it will work out. What the hell is wrong with you anyway? Are you too young, too stupid or too spoilt to realise that you too could get booted out of a commune one day after the people had spent your money?
YEAH!

Don't worry about voodoo, theo...he always conveniently "forgets" what was said previously.

Hey, voodoo, I'm not the one who said I was in a "commune."

Are you wearing Nikes and a purple cape, voodoo?

If so, sorry to insult you!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
no, it's the basis of most TV game shows.

-r.
Good point. Makes me kind of depressed, somehow. Is this the aspiration of humanity, where commerce has more value than decency?
weird wabbit

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 11:48 AM

Jenkies, I'd hate to live in a commune. But then I'm an Amercian�most groups of people living together in that sort of manner here are considered cults...

Getting back to the point, be honest Veronica. Simply tell him to move on.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2003, 02:37 PM

YEAH!

Don't worry about voodoo, theo...he always conveniently "forgets" what was said previously.

Hey, voodoo, I'm not the one who said I was in a "commune."

Are you wearing Nikes and a purple cape, voodoo?

If so, sorry to insult you!

ok you must be taking drugs.

Nikes and what? ...

Oh and look up the definition of 'commune'. You are embarrassing yourself.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 10:33 PM

/hijack
Recently saw a documentary about Friedrichshof . Interesting to say the least. I found it remarkable that these intelligent people fell in with what I thought was essentially one man's really selfish plan for self-gratification, and found it disturbing encouraging free love among the offspring, among whom paternity was shall we say uncertain.

/hijack off

Do not gang up on this person, but sit down and have a frank discussion. Unless this person is a murderer/rapist/etc. is there no way you could peacefully coexist even if you couldn't call him a friend?

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Dec 7, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
voodoo I usually hate your infidel guts, but I loved that post. You struck back at theolin's nasty tripe and hit him right where it hurts--in his pseudo-intellectual, self-righteous arrogance that's oh-so-common to the 'Eurotopian' elitists.

thanks.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 03:02 AM

pee on his room's doorknob...I've seen it happen, and I've seen the results. Trust me, it works.
(not that I condoned it, but it seemed to get the job done.)

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 03:12 AM

Why not just sit down with him and explain your concerns?

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2003, 09:07 AM

the one guy is far from what you would imagine a friend to be. Or not even a friend, but just a person you would like to have social contact with since you�re living together.
What did he do? I hear what you are asking but apart from not being someone you would be friends with what has he done?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by The Ayatollah:
voodoo I usually hate your infidel guts, but I loved that post. You struck back at theolin's nasty tripe and hit him right where it hurts--in his pseudo-intellectual, self-righteous arrogance that's oh-so-common to the 'Eurotopian' elitists.

thanks.
Talking about pseudo...
weird wabbit

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 01:53 PM

This thread is dead.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 02:04 PM

What's so unacceptable about this person for you to live with? Is he a rapist or a white collar thief?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 02:09 PM

This thread is not quite dead.

To fill in the missing pieces of this story, the guy who moved in were taken in not because we were desperate, but because we have grown tired with all the hassle with getting new people all the time as people move in and out. So we settled. He was desperate and we agreed to let him move in before most of us hadn't even met him.

I'm doing my best to co-exist with him, simply by ignoring him. He has spent most of his time in his room so far when I've been home so I don't mind yet. However when Veronica and the rest of the gang had the pleasure of having to be social with him when he joined them in the livingroom...well they got frustrated. The guy isn't mean or anything, he's just childish and appear to have zero people-skills.

Apparantly he thinks he's being cool by berating everyone else's opinions and skills. Just the perfect way to ease yourself into a new situation with people you have to actually live with. So yeah, seing as Veronica would have trouble peeing on his doorknob without standing on a chair or something, we might have to just have a good old "family meeting".

Oh, and thanks for jumping to conclusions iWrite, tintub, theolin, kilbey.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 02:20 PM

Well, erik, I think you could have posted this information LONG before now.

You didn't.

Why?

Because you like the drama of leaving out important pieces of information?

Personally, I think "Veronica" is your alter ego.

Have two closets do you?

<snicker>

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 02:24 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about you roomate difficulty Veronica. I take it that you are the female with four guys. It would seem that have managed very well already adjusting to living with the guys. So I would say that you are a mature young lady. If it is like here in the US that men and women share an apartment to share for financial reasons.

I agree with - - e r i k - -, it would be a good idea for all of you to get together for a meeting. Each of you discussing problems that are occuring.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 02:26 PM

You didn't.

Why?

Personally, I think "Veronica" is your alter ego.

Have two closets do you?

<snicker>
Because... he doesn't have to report to you people on anything?

What is your problem iWrite? Don't you have a husband to be a bitch with?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 02:41 PM

You didn't.

Why?

It is a pretty common bad habit. Just look at some of Superchicken's threads.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 02:45 PM

You didn't.

Why?
Well, I have a social life beyond MacNN. I have better (and worse) things to do with my weekend than to hang around here.

Veronica may not be my alter ego, but she's definitely my better half.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:

To fill in the missing pieces of this story, the guy who moved in were taken in not because we were desperate, but because we have grown tired with all the hassle with getting new people all the time as people move in and out. So we settled. He was desperate and we agreed to let him move in before most of us hadn't even met him.

I'm doing my best to co-exist with him, simply by ignoring him. He has spent most of his time in his room so far when I've been home so I don't mind yet. However when Veronica and the rest of the gang had the pleasure of having to be social with him when he joined them in the livingroom...well they got frustrated. The guy isn't mean or anything, he's just childish and appear to have zero people-skills.

Apparantly he thinks he's being cool by berating everyone else's opinions and skills. Just the perfect way to ease yourself into a new situation with people you have to actually live with. So yeah, seing as Veronica would have trouble peeing on his doorknob without standing on a chair or something, we might have to just have a good old "family meeting".

Mmmm. I think I had better apologise. You're right about jumping to conclusions, and I went overboard based on what I had read*. I'm sorry for any hurt feelings.

I must admit that the way I interpreted Veronica's post, it sounded as if she and the others were abusing this guy no end, purely for the sake of getting someone to pay the rent. I now assume that she was posting more out of frustration than meanness. I can understand both sides of the situation, as I lived in number of shares (I'll use share as I think it is less confusing to Americans who undertsand something else under the word "commune" it seems) in the 80's and early 90's in Berlin and Switzerland and projected my experiences onto yours.

In one share I lived in in Berlin, it turned out that the woman who was the "owner"(holder of the lease) of the flat was paying no rent and that me and the other flatmate were paying her way. Not only that, but she actually faked a break in in order to steal stuff from us to get some cash.

In another place I lived in in Switzerland, and the reason I probably reacted so harshly, I was the guy who was invited to live in a share and ended up discovering that not only was I the only one paying rent, but that the others had been stealing money that I had paid in for renovating the house for heroin and booze. I was in pretty bad shape then, having had a major crack up in 1990, and wasn't in much shape to defend myself, so one could say my social skills were less than ideal and this was abused in no small manner by a couple of the meaner people in that place. Nevertheless, I wised up and then left in a hurry, soon after which the share, with no one left to pay any bills, imploded upon itself.

So, sorry again. I was, as our dear friend Zimbo would put it, projecting.

*P.S. Talking about reading: What is it about my Nick that is so difficult to spell correctly? Not that you're the only one who does this, but it really puzzles me.
weird wabbit

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 03:28 PM

I've never heard or read the noun commune as meaning something else than a small community (i.e. a small part of a country) or as a place where many people live together in one big apartment.

So when iWrite began ranting I looked it up in Merriam Webster and dictionary.com and what do you know? Nothing resembling iWrite's strange ramblings. Perhaps she was confusing commune with community

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 03:39 PM

I have an idea that in America the word "commune" is associated with the hippy free love, free drugs, free for all things of the late 60's and early 70's, but I may be wrong. In Australia, I think the word "share house" (Good book btw.) is used for what the germans call a "WG" (Wohngemeinschaft), but I'm not sure what the common used word in America is.
weird wabbit

Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 04:22 PM

I have an idea that in America the word "commune" is associated with the hippy free love, free drugs, free for all things of the late 60's and early 70's, but I may be wrong. In Australia, I think the word "share house" (Good book btw.) is used for what the germans call a "WG" (Wohngemeinschaft), but I'm not sure what the common used word in America is.
Yep, that's pretty accurate. Here's a good site for background on 60's communes. Today, communes in the US are probably associated more often with fringe-types like Heavensgate or Branch Davidian. Loonies, basically.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

tintub
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:

I don't see how this extra information changes anything at all, and my opinion still stands. I was unaware that you were also involved Erik - I always assumed you were a nice guy.

Having zero people skills is not a reason to be seriously considering falsely accusing him of stealing just to get him to move out. A meeting around the table like you suggested would be the way to go, although I think that you should tell him what's upsetting you and give him a chance (a month or two) to try and get on with you guys.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 05:52 PM

You're right about the word "commune." I think of "Moonies" and the like.

About the point of the thread? You guys want to string a guy up because YOU invited him to live with you out of desperation. Now that he's there and not doing anything other than not fitting in with your personalities, which seem fairly shallow at best, you're trying to figure out ways to manipulate him out of the house. How pathetic.

The point is that you were not HONEST from the beginning, nor are you HONEST now, and you do not care that someone who has not done anything other than annoy you and your little "clique" of friends is now going to be out of a place to live because you and your friends are finished with using him to suit your purposes: Get through another month with rent paid.

Yep, I'd say you all sound pretty pathetic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules