Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > windows vs mac iPod

windows vs mac iPod
tintub
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 10:46 PM

i was wondering if someone could clear this up for me. Can I have an iPod that works with both windows & mac? Presumably the mac version is HFS+ formatted, and thus mac only? but I would expect that the mac would be able to read the windows version. But if that was the case, then why wouldn't everyone buy the windows version. what does the mac one have to offer that the windows iPod doesn't.

I know I could research this elsewhere, but you guys will all have an opinion so I may as well hear it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2003, 10:51 PM

I thought the new iPod was both for Mac&Windows out of the box. Dunno how it is formatted tho.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2003, 11:59 PM

The iPod faq might be outdated now but it says:
Question 9: Can I use my existing iPod for Mac on a PC, or my iPod for Windows on a Mac?
Answer: You can reformat your iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac, but it is not possible to reconfigure your iPod for Mac to an iPod for Windows. This is because Windows does not support the HFS+ file system and therefore will not see the drive.

You can convert your iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac by using the iPod for Mac Software Updater on the Apple website. Note that once it is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X version 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac.

Using the iPod for Mac on a PC, or using the iPod for Windows on a Mac, is not supported by Apple.
It would have been great if Apple simply used one format, FAT32, for the iPod. But I can foresee problems with sharing an iPod across multiple computers, esp when auto-sync is turned on.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
The iPod faq might be outdated now but it says:

It would have been great if Apple simply used one format, FAT32, for the iPod. But I can foresee problems with sharing an iPod across multiple computers, esp when auto-sync is turned on.
I think that was for when the sold 'Mac iPod' and 'Windows iPod'. Isn't there just one package now?

Perhaps now whichever computer you use it with, it will reformat in that system's file format?

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 06:11 AM

who really cares. its not like people would argue about a tv in a home with a mac or pc.

no difference here. don't try to argue a dumb point.

or run with it either way.
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
who really cares. its not like people would argue about a tv in a home with a mac or pc.

no difference here. don't try to argue a dumb point.

or run with it either way.
wtf??

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2003, 07:48 AM

The new iPod is both for mac and windows.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules