Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Music Store vs. P2P: Which Do YOU Use?

View Poll Results: iTunes Music Store vs. P2P: Which Do YOU Use?
Poll Options:
iTunes Music Store all the way! 11 votes (29.73%)
P2P...it's free, come on! 14 votes (37.84%)
I use P2P, but I'm going to switch to iTunes. 5 votes (13.51%)
I don't download music. 7 votes (18.92%)
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
iTunes Music Store vs. P2P: Which Do YOU Use?
tvfollower
Sep 22, 2003, 02:30 AM

There's the free, illegal, and low quality, and then the costly, legal, and high quality...which one is your baby?

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 03:16 AM

iTMS...the only legal way to dl what you like..
( Last edited by spitty27; Sep 22, 2003 at 03:31 AM. )
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

tvfollower  (op)
Sep 22, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by spitty27:
this is in the incorrect thread...this is not really software related.
Strange, it seems very software related to me...
( Last edited by tvfollower; Sep 22, 2003 at 03:24 AM. )

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 03:27 AM

this is in the incorrect thread...this is not really software related.
Originally posted by tvfollower:

why are you fabricating something i never said?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 22, 2003, 03:38 AM

ITMS doesn't have a lot of the music I listen to.

120db
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 04:07 AM

emusic first (it's legal, too, way cheaper and has much more of the music i listen to) and itunes second.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2003, 05:22 AM

I use p2p now - but that is just because the iTMS isn't available here in Europe right now. I'd much rather buy the music for a reasonable price from the iTMS.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 05:57 AM

I download music that's very hard to find /anywhere/ (often out of print, if ever even for sale at all), much less the iTMS. And if there's something the iTMS has that I want, I'm more likely to go and get a physical CD instead. Though it is a great way to listen to samples of music I'd consider buying.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 07:23 AM

When iTMS comes to Europe I will mostly use it. Until then, p2p is my friend. I'm not going to pay 30$ for three good songs and then filler songs.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 07:28 AM

There's the free, illegal, and low quality, and then the costly, legal, and high quality...which one is your baby?
There's the free, illegal and available and then there's the costly, legal, and unavailable.

I would use iTunes Music Store (though seldom) if I could.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 08:24 AM

why are you fabricating something i never said?
Last edited by spitty27 on 09-22-2003 at 08:31 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
There's the free, illegal and available and then there's the costly, legal, and unavailable.

I would use iTunes Music Store (though seldom) if I could.
repeated for emphasis.

-s*

mishap
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:53 AM

i still dont think iTMS has enough of the music i listen to. So, I prefer newsgroups.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 10:30 AM

I haven't done much illegal downloading (perhaps 2 donzen songs over the last 3 years)-- mostly, I look for stuff that's not available for sale, like out-of-print, or bootleg live/demo recordings. Sure, it's illegal to download a song to which they hold a copyright, but if it's not available anywhere at any price for sale, who am I depriving of income? Since they're snooping and making criminals out of would-be customers, I'll be sticking to the used bin at the CD store.

I had been using the iTunes store, (bought about 6 albums and 10 individual songs) and was pretty happy with it, but now I'm boycotting the RIAA, and only purchasing music from independent labels/artists. So, until the ITMS gets some indie stuff going, I won't be buying anything.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 10:42 AM

What about free, illegal and high quality? You can find a lot of music encoded at up to 320 kbps (or even in .aiff format) if you know where look.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

mishap
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
What about free, illegal and high quality? You can find a lot of music encoded at up to 320 kbps (or even in .aiff format) if you know where look.
exactly.

serious Question: Will i be able to play my iTMS AAC files on my pc when the windows version of itunes is available. Can i play it on 3 computers (mac/pcs) or just "3 Macs"?

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
exactly.

serious Question: Will i be able to play my iTMS AAC files on my pc when the windows version of itunes is available. Can i play it on 3 computers (mac/pcs) or just "3 Macs"?
Probably... but seriously, how are we supposed to know??

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 02:13 PM

I've bought an assload of music from the iTMS. I love not having to wade through tons mislabeled, crappy files and slow download speeds.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yeah spitty that's seriously uncool

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 03:58 PM

Both...I'd prefer to use the iTMS, but the selection is sorely lacking. Since the iTMS has ben available, I have severely decreased the time I spend using p2p download clients.

I still spend a ton on CD's also...sometimes it is worth the extra to get the album artwork. $9.99 on iTMS seems senseless when I can get the same new cd for $9.99-$12.99 at Best Buy or Circuit City.

memento
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 04:01 PM

I voted for "I don't download". I download to try a new band or new album. If I like it, I buy the CD, if I don't I trash it. So for anything that I actually want, I buy the CD.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 08:47 PM

i wonder what THIS is
Last edited by tvfollower on 09-22-2003 at 12:24 AM
and who says i ever said THAT? i could have changed it from something different...not much thought behind that Spheric Harlot and Synotic....very not cool to accuse a fellow macnner

tvfollower  (op)
Sep 22, 2003, 08:49 PM

i wonder what THIS is

and who says i ever said THAT? i could have changed it from something different...not much thought behind that Spheric Harlot and Synotic....very not cool to accuse a fellow macnner
Spitty and I go to the same school, and he kept changing his posts to make me look weird, so I kept editing. He was in the wrong, don't worry...you guys were right...

Yoav, you need to get a life...seriously...but I still love you man!

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 08:53 PM

dude lol tvfollower im just playing...yes, just for you guys to know we're same high school and i was playing with him...calm down lol

BTW tvfollower is a switcher who has seen the light. thanks to me his next comp will be a pb15" for college next year

EDIT: theres an edit because tvfollower did not want me to disclose his name.

tvfollower  (op)
Sep 22, 2003, 08:59 PM

dude lol tvfollower im just playing...yes, just for you guys to know we're same high school and i was playing with him...calm down lol

BTW tvfollower is a switcher who has seen the light. thanks to me his next comp will be a pb15" for college next year

EDIT: theres an edit because tvfollower did not want me to disclose his name.
Yup, I have certainly seen the light. Now I'm more obsessed than spitty over here, who's been a Mac lover all his life...and I don't even have a Mac yet!

mindwaves
Sep 22, 2003, 08:59 PM

Closed because of 3 Reported Abuse e-mails. Please, no flamming. Just discussion. Feel free to start a new thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules