Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone own a 1ghz TiBook & 17"in Al?????

Anyone own a 1ghz TiBook & 17"in Al?????
PJayDubya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 01:27 PM

I am curious to know if anyone owns the 1ghz TiBook and the 17' Al. I would like to konw if there is a difference in fan noise during normal operation for both units.

I have a 1ghz TiBook and hate it. The fans on thing are on ALL THE TIME at the highest rotation. Yeah - BOTH fans are always on even while the unit is just sitting here doing nothing. While I am glad the fans keep the unit from overheating it seems a bit like overkill to have them on all the time and as noisy as they are. I am looking to move to the 17 Al but NOT if it's as noisy as this Titanium.

THanks!

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 02:30 PM

If both fans are running constantly even when the machine is iddle then something is not right. Bring it in and have it fixed...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by PJayDubya:
I am curious to know if anyone owns the 1ghz TiBook and the 17' Al. I would like to konw if there is a difference in fan noise during normal operation for both units.

I have a 1ghz TiBook and hate it. The fans on thing are on ALL THE TIME at the highest rotation. Yeah - BOTH fans are always on even while the unit is just sitting here doing nothing. While I am glad the fans keep the unit from overheating it seems a bit like overkill to have them on all the time and as noisy as they are. I am looking to move to the 17 Al but NOT if it's as noisy as this Titanium.

THanks!
I had a Titanium Powerbook and yes the fan was on quite a bit, even at idle.

After the trade-up I am happy to say:

- I love the screen size for one!
- NO NOISE AT ALL. NADA. ZERO.
- Performance is very nice all around.

I was affraid of the problems with the Ti,
mainly chipping, flaking, shattering, so moving on to the Aluminum was an easy decision.

I'd recommend it highly.

Ghost

urrl5201
Jul 5, 2003, 06:40 PM

I have had 2 Ti laptops; 500 & 667 DVI.
The 17" is a wonderful improvement in my opinion. Its structural superiority and quiet, cool running performance are icing on the aluminum cake. I am as satisfied as I could possibly be with a laptop.

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2003, 10:03 PM

Same as ghost_flash. Ti 1Ghz - fan comes on a bit. With the 17" - silent.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 10:28 PM

If you do a search on the forums you'll find a lot of us (myself inclusive) purchasing the 1GHz TiBook and found it to be insanely noisy - as in you could walk into another room and still hear the bastard! Mine would come on after 10 minutes and NEVER would turn off - I returned mine, it was THAT noisy I could not stand it.

My 17" AlBook is dead silent, in fact quieter than my 800DVI. The fan only comes on very very very very very very rarely, and if it does it's MUCH quiter than the TiBook though it does do an annoying "revving" to get spinning

Forum Links
Forum Rules