Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Two questions in one handy post

Two questions in one handy post
xec17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 03:54 PM

Hello again. I have a couple questions now that I've decided to buy a powerbook...

1) Do you need to buy RAM from apple to get it to work inside the powerbook? I was told a while ago that RAM is RAM so there's no need to put the extra money in for Apple's RAM. Is this true? If so, do you still recommend getting Apple RAM? What are other quality brands of RAM?

2) Do any of you leave your powerbook on all the time? I don't mean close it but never shut down, I mean leave it open 24/7 with occassional shut downs or restarts. Is this bad for a powerbook if you shut the screen off while not using the computer?

Thanks,

Eash

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 04:19 PM

1) Apple RAM is very good but not worth the money IMO. I always buy RAM from 3rd party....I recomend Crucial.com for RAM...never had any problems with it and other people I know say it is the best RAM. OWC (macsales.com) also sells good RAM and may be better price.

2) I never leave my PB on all the time unless it is necesary (eg econding or crunching stuff.) If always close the lid and put it to sleep when I am not going to use it for a long period of time. Eg: going to bed or when I am at work.

Hope it helps and enjoy your new Apple.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 09:49 PM

Buy your RAM from crucial.com - they have better prices, and the quality is perfect.

I put mine to sleep, otherwise the fan kicks in too often and it stays hot. This will probably shorten the life, so I just put it to sleep and close the lid when I'm not using it.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 10:45 PM

Wait...is the Apple RAM that Crucial.com sells identical to the Apple's own RAM? Crucial carries, for example, "512MB CT368653 DDR PC2700 Non-parity."

Furthermore, does getting it from a 3rd party mess up the warranty?

Edit: Wow...Crucial.com is so much cheaper. 512MB is only $100! From Apple, the upgrade from one 512MB module to two would cost approximately $300!
( Last edited by tavilach; Jul 26, 2004 at 10:52 PM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

nate_02
Senior User
Jul 27, 2004, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Wait...is the Apple RAM that Crucial.com sells identical to the Apple's own RAM? Crucial carries, for example, "512MB CT368653 DDR PC2700 Non-parity."

Furthermore, does getting it from a 3rd party mess up the warranty?

Edit: Wow...Crucial.com is so much cheaper. 512MB is only $100! From Apple, the upgrade from one 512MB module to two would cost approximately $300!
Right now at least, Apple uses Samsung RAM.

RAM is one of those that the user can add whatever brand is compatible.

I give my two thubs up to crucial
-nate

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2004, 01:09 AM

You can't go wrong with crucial ram; however, you might want to check out the kingmax stuff at www.newegg.com. 1gb will cost you $235 shipped and it's quality stuff. There are a few people in the forums here using the stuff with no problems. I plan on getting atleast 1 stick before school starts.

As for shutting it down, just put it to sleep. OSX isn't like windows, it's designed to be kept on. This is not to say that you should leave your powerbook "awake" all the time, but it wouldn't hurt it if you did.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 08:15 AM

One common misconception that many people have about Apple Computers, is that they use a "special" type of Apple Only RAM.

This is an unfortunate holdover from 10 years ago. Any 3rd party RAM you buy will work in your PB. That being said, do not go with the cheapest stuff you can buy. Purchase from a respectable company, those listed here, or Apple's preferred factory installed brandd: Hynix and Samsung.

Non-Parity means the same as Non-ECC. The memory used by everything but servers is a type of memory that is non-error correcting. For mission critical applications like servers or say, the launching of a shuttle, they need memory that won't randomly change a bit around causing a catastrophic failure (like a crash).

Random cosmic influences will sometimes cause the memory to change a bit state from 0-1 or from 1-0. This causes your saved information to change meaning and be mis-interpreted in the processor. This usually results in an error that can cause anything up to a system crash. By and far, these are rare events and in most applications, a screw-up in the instruction set will be transparent to you and you'll never know it happened.

Non-parity and Non-ECC memory is faster (fewer gate paths to wind through) so that is why it is used in desktops and notebooks (fewer gates in the chip means cheaper costs too, probably the main reason they use Non-parity or Non-ECC).

And MacOSX is built on top of Unix, and that program was designed from the ground-up to stay running 24/7. Leaving your computer on won't hurt it at all. There is actually a set of scripts that run late at night (I can't remember, lets say 2am), so leaving your PB on is a good thing. If you put your PB to sleep(the recommended thing to do) you can still run these scripts (there are three: daily, weekly, monthly) with a 3rd party app called MacJanitor. That way, you can just run the scripts yourself and not worry about having to leave you PB on all the time. THe only time I restarted any of my Apple Computers is if I am told to do so by an update or a program installation, otherwise, I'm up and running.

Hope this helps!!

"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

beastie28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 08:48 AM

On the subject of RAM, I just bought my Albook this past Saturday and I bought a 512mb PNY chip from CompUSA. It was $95 out the door, but there is a $25 or $35 rebate (can't remember which it was). Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they want to take advantage. Good luck with your new PB (I'm loving mine).

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 09:12 AM

beastie28,

Thanks for bringing that up!! The Price is $94.99 for a 512MB stick of PC2100/PC2700 Ram from PNY. You get a mail-in rebate for $30.00, bringing your grand-total to $64.99 for 512MB of RAM!!

them.....trust me...."

beastie28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

No Problem
Aluminium Powerbook 12"/1.33GHz/768MB/60GB/ComboDrive/AE/BT
P4 2.4GHz/512mb/WinXP/GeForce 6800 OC (Game machine)
AthlonXP 2000+/512mb/Fedora Core2 (Network Server, Router)
P3M 1.0GHz/384mb/Win2000 (Carputer, work in progress)

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 12:03 PM

Is the PNY RAM just as reliable as Apple's RAM?

Furthermore, what about the warranty?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by psk-ele:
beastie28,

Thanks for bringing that up!! The Price is $94.99 for a 512MB stick of PC2100/PC2700 Ram from PNY. You get a mail-in rebate for $30.00, bringing your grand-total to $64.99 for 512MB of RAM!!

Nice, I can pick one up here locally, but will it work in the new PowerBooks? Compusa.com lists it as 144-pin, but Crucial.com (and I think the user manual) state 144-pin. I think I'm out of luck, right?
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 12:09 PM

Oh, yeah...

What's up with the 144-pin vs. 200-pin? Which one works...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 12:22 PM

144-pin SODIMMS are used by single datarate RAM. So PC100 and PC133 notebook RAM is in the form of 144-pin SODIMMs. 200-pin SODIMMs are used for DDR RAM, which the new PowerBooks all use.

It's an excellent idea to get a warranty, because laptops are fragile and their components tend to wear out under normal use (which is covered by the warranty).

As far as sleep/shutdown/display sleep are concerned, you can really choose one of a number of things to do. There's the old way of thinking, which is to shut down your computer at night and turn it on in the morning, but that isn't necessary at all. OS X's deep sleep takes very little power, so you may as well just close the lid to put the PowerBook to sleep when you're not using it. Restart only when you have to, like after installing security updates.

Another option is to just turn off the screen when you're not using it. If for some reason you want your computer to run all night (i.e. if you have a large file to download on a slow connection, or if you have some kind of number crunching to do), you can just dim the screen down to nothing. If you hit the key to reduce brightness enough, it'll turn off the backlight entirely. There are no ill effects to doing this; in fact, it's a great idea to do this when you are just leaving your PowerBook for a few minutes because then you don't have to bother with putting it to sleep, but you save the backlight. They do wear out eventually.

Concerning the automated scripts, it used to be that they simply wouldn't run if your computer was off or asleep when they are scheduled to run, but with the latest update to OS X, 10.3.4, they've made it so the scripts will run automatically when you wake/turn on the computer if it was asleep or off when they were supposed to run. Convenient, and it eliminates the need for programs like MacJanitor.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
144-pin SODIMMS are used by single datarate RAM. So PC100 and PC133 notebook RAM is in the form of 144-pin SODIMMs. 200-pin SODIMMs are used for DDR RAM, which the new PowerBooks all use.

It's an excellent idea to get a warranty, because laptops are fragile and their components tend to wear out under normal use (which is covered by the warranty).
Thanks for clarifying the pin issue .

I know that it's a good idea to get a warranty. What I'm asking is if getting 3rd party RAM messes up Apple's warranty, AppleCare, etc.

rhizopod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 12:50 PM

Also check dealram.com. The pbook ram is PC2700 DDR.

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 01:36 PM

Regarding the CompUSA RAM....

Yes, I didn't believe it at first either, but CompUSA has more than one type of ram on sale. The RAM and pricing I listed above is for a 200-pin SO-Dimm PC2100/PC2700 RAM (actually its PC 2700 Ram, but it scales down to PC2100 if the system bus is only 133MHz, like the iBook)! Its an awesome deal!

I can't tell you if the quality is better or not than Samsung or Hynix, but its better than Centon or CompUSA's brand RAM.

I installed some on my GF's 12" iBook G4 last night and it works perfectly!! She hasn't had any problems with it yet. I'll run TechTool on it after she gets AppleCare and let you know how it checks out.

PNY is a national brand and on par with the likes of Kingston. I've already bought another stick for my 12" PB (which is coming in the mail this week!!).
them.....trust me...."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2004, 04:38 PM

RAM is RAM, technically. But if you buy RAM just make sure it's namebrand. If you go with generic RAM, never buy it unless it has a lifetime warranty. Most (if not all) namebrand RAM has a lifetime warranty anyway.

I would suggest buying Crucial RAM from either of the following sites (whichever is cheaper): PriceWatch or NewEgg.

You'll be looking for PC2700 DDR 333MHz SO-DIMM.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I know that it's a good idea to get a warranty. What I'm asking is if getting 3rd party RAM messes up Apple's warranty, AppleCare, etc.
It doesn't. RAM is user-replaceable.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules