Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New eMac

New eMac
storer
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 07:18 AM

So, according to the buyers guide, at wherever i was looking, it is nearing the time for an eMac revision. So what do you think will be in this one, or what would you like to see?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2004, 08:16 AM

Here we go again..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by storer:
So, according to the buyers guide, at wherever i was looking, it is nearing the time for an eMac revision. So what do you think will be in this one, or what would you like to see?
If it was this one, it's not that accurate regarding the eMac. Since its introduction in 2002, Apple have generally left about twelve months between upgrades. However, in October 2003, they dropped the bottom of the line, dropped prices, and for some reason this is considered a complete update. Anyway, all I'm saying is that this lowered the average time between updates, and I wouldn't expect to see a new eMac until April/May 2005.

However, by then, I'd like to see the following:

- 2GHz G5
- 667MHz Frontside Bus
- Up to 4GB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM (Four slots, each taking up to 1GB)
- Up to 300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB RAM (laptop graphics card for coolness, because...)
- No Fans at all. Completely convection cooled, like the old iMac DV.
- Three FireWire 400 ports, Two FireWire 800 ports, Four USB 2.0 ports, line-in, line-out, - microphone in, headphone out. Gigabit Ethernet, DV out.
- Speakers that can go louder, and go louder without making the screen dance.
- 19" Flat CRT, better quality than at present, which can do higher refresh rates than at present. Up to 1600x1200 at 85Hz at the very least.
- Same form factor and design. Larger screen means scaled up case, more room for the extra ports I want.
- Internal Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme as BTO options.
- Matte apple instead of mirror apple on optical drive flap.
- Slow closing optical drive flap, like on G4 iMac.
- Dual layer DVD burning SuperDrive, because apparently that's a good thing. I don't know, I hardly even burn CDs.

I think that's it. All for the same price as at present, if not slightly lower.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 09:01 AM

If we see a new eMac at all.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
If we see a new eMac at all.
You don't think we will?
I think that if you go by what that buyers guide says, then we would have an update soon. Probably not but...
Just a faster processor would do me.
And if it has a g5 in 2005, that would mean we would have a new powerbook by then, cos an "e" is never going to be better than a "power"

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 10:18 PM

I think the eMac will stay G4 for awhile, or at least one more revision. The specs this time around:

1.5 GHz G4, 167 MHz bus
40 or 80 GB hard drive options
64 MB Radeon 9200 video

And a $699 starting price! That more than anything might help Apple.
ο£Ώ 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
I think the eMac will stay G4 for awhile, or at least one more revision. The specs this time around:

1.5 GHz G4, 167 MHz bus
64 MB Radeon 9200 video

that'd be nice! itwill definetly be a g4 for a long tim

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
1.5 GHz G4, 167 MHz bus
64 MB Radeon 9200 video
Yeah!

I think it would be a very smart move on Apple's behalf to stay humble on the eMac specs, but instead keep the price as low as possible.

1.5GHz G4, 167MHz bus
256 MB DDR in 1 of 2 slots
40 GB HD (60 possible as BTO)
64MB 9200
Combo (SuperDrive possible as BTO)
Same screen as today
BT, APX and stand not included (but available as BTO)
$699
β€’

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Yeah!

I think it would be a very smart move on Apple's behalf to stay humble on the eMac specs, but instead keep the price as low as possible.

1.5GHz G4, 167MHz bus
256 MB DDR in 1 of 2 slots
40 GB HD (60 possible as BTO)
64MB 9200
Combo (SuperDrive possible as BTO)
Same screen as today
BT, APX and stand not included (but available as BTO)
$699
I don't think they will go with this option. I'm sure they will go G5 as soon as they can. The only real difference between the iMac and eMac should be the monitor.

Considering the G5 iMac is $1299...

We could potentially see an emac for around $899 with:

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive

and a superdrive model for $1099 to $1199...

I'm just trying to be realistic... Schools love the eMac and probably won't be happy getting a mix of G5 and G4 systems.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm just trying to be realistic... Schools love the eMac and probably won't be happy getting a mix of G5 and G4 systems.
I don't think mixing the two is a problem at all. Unless its written on the box, no normal user or even supporter will notice a difference (apart from power of course).

I find it however highly unlikely that Apple's entry line education box should have a better CPU than their flagship PowerBook.

G4.
β€’

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 06:04 PM

I find it however highly unlikely that Apple's entry line education box should have a better CPU than their flagship PowerBook.
That's why I think it will be a while before we see a G5 eMac. i just think going to a 1.5 G4 would be a start!

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 06:46 PM

The new eMac should be an iMac mini

Same new design as new iMac, but in color
15.2" flat panel
one inch thick
G4 1.33ghz
low price

... would really make sense... from the creators of the iPod
I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes
( Last edited by pat++; Sep 13, 2004 at 06:59 PM. )

BenRoethig
Sep 13, 2004, 07:05 PM

I don't think they will go with this option. I'm sure they will go G5 as soon as they can. The only real difference between the iMac and eMac should be the monitor.

Considering the G5 iMac is $1299...

We could potentially see an emac for around $899 with:

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive

and a superdrive model for $1099 to $1199...

iMac sales would tank if the eMac had a G5 in it and Apple knows this.

galarneau
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by pat++:

15.2" flat panel
one inch thick
G4 1.33ghz
low price

... would really make sense... from the creators of the iPod
I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes
I'd buy it!

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by galarneau:
I'd buy it!
same!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by pat++:

15.2" flat panel
one inch thick
G4 1.33ghz
low price
I'd prefer there would be an iMac mini w/o any display at all.

Same guts as the iMac, but in a small white box about the size of a cigar box. And sell it for the price of the eMac.

It would fly of the shelves.
β€’

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 05:07 AM

I think it's possible that we may be in store for a redesigned eMac after the iMac G5 has had a chance to sell. Once the steam of that beast has settled a bit, I think a new eMac or similar product has a good chance of seeing the light of day. But I wouldn't expect such a product for at least six months at the earliest.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 01:15 PM

Same guts as the iMac, but in a small white box about the size of a cigar box. And sell it for the price of the eMac.

It would fly of the shelves.
haha

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 04:03 PM

I agree. Ship it without a monitor. Schools probably have CRTs and LCDs out the ying-yang already.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I agree. Ship it without a monitor. Schools probably have CRTs and LCDs out the ying-yang already.
Some of us would also like them for storage servers or light duty web servers... or perhaps we already have a 21"CRT that still works, or a 17" LCD, or ANYTHING...

It just doesn't make sense other then they know it will hurt their G5 tower sales.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 04:52 PM

I also think there is a "switcher" market out there. People that have 2 year old PCs and want to try Mac, but don't want to take the full plunge $1300 plunge.

Basically they have the eMac and iBook as options... oh, but they already have screens (some LCD). So they are going to buy an eMac with a CRT when they already have a LCD?

ugh... I'll be quiet now

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:52 PM

I also think there is a "switcher" market out there. People that have 2 year old PCs and want to try Mac, but don't want to take the full plunge $1300 plunge.
All these ideas sound good, but do apple know what people think? I have often wondered whether Apple researchers surf forums for peoples ideas, because I have seen things like "apple website typo" being posted, and not reported to apple, but being fixed.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Here we go again..

anger .. building ... hehehe j/k ... neverending cycle

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 03:09 AM

We really do need an affordable headless Mac. The Cube was great in theory, but was vastly overpriced and underpowered. It would be nice to have a new cube with a single G5, upgradeable AGP and one PCI slot. Not while crazy Steve is around. Or if they switch to the newer PCI for GFX cards, two PCI slots.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 05:34 PM

Honestly, I don't know if I would buy a headless iMac if I had a monitor. I would have trouble thinking of it as a mac, because then the monitor isn't one made by apple/included originally.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 06:25 PM

mitchell, where'd you get your idea to keep the iMac and eMac the same with different displays from? The Book of Reasons for Why the Old iMac Sold Poorly?

I'm sure everyone here remembers. No one bought the G4 iMac because it was basically the exact same as the eMac, but with an LCD instead of a CRT. A $500 premium for an LCD, when performance is the same, is ridiculous. The reason the G5 iMac is different (slightly... ) is because it doesn't just have an LCD, but it's also a lot faster and more powerful than the eMac. I guess you could give the eMac a 15" standard aspect LCD, rather than a widescreen. But I think it's fine how it is. Next revision should be basically the same except 1.5 GHz and with 64 MB graphics.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
mitchell, where'd you get your idea to keep the iMac and eMac the same with different displays from? The Book of Reasons for Why the Old iMac Sold Poorly?

I'm sure everyone here remembers. No one bought the G4 iMac because it was basically the exact same as the eMac, but with an LCD instead of a CRT. A $500 premium for an LCD, when performance is the same, is ridiculous. The reason the G5 iMac is different (slightly... ) is because it doesn't just have an LCD, but it's also a lot faster and more powerful than the eMac. I guess you could give the eMac a 15" standard aspect LCD, rather than a widescreen. But I think it's fine how it is. Next revision should be basically the same except 1.5 GHz and with 64 MB graphics.
I think those are all great points. I remember looking at buying an iMac and an eMac. We bought two eMacs, because we didn't need lcds and the power was the same.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 06:34 PM

As pointed out previously, the emac will stay G4, same Bus Speed, an obvious bump in superdrive speed, same or slightly better graphics card, and it will stay cheap, so don't think apple is going to phazz up the emac line, let's remember what the e in emac stands for.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Dex13:
As pointed out previously, the emac will stay G4, same Bus Speed, an obvious bump in superdrive speed, same or slightly better graphics card, and it will stay cheap
I think the same about it being a g4. i Think it will gradually get a faster g4 processor, and eventually end up a g5.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
We really do need an affordable headless Mac. The Cube was great in theory, but was vastly overpriced and underpowered. It would be nice to have a new cube with a single G5, upgradeable AGP and one PCI slot. Not while crazy Steve is around. Or if they switch to the newer PCI for GFX cards, two PCI slots.

ipod, ipod mini
imac, imac mini

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
ipod, ipod mini
imac, imac mini
Exactly.

iMac mini

• slightly less wide than the 12" PB, but a tad higher and white
• G5, 1.6Ghz (or 1.8GHz BTO), 600MHz FSB, PC3200 DDR
• 8xAGP (5200U or 9700 BTO)
• Combo or SuperDrive
• DVI out
• $1099 (Combo, 60GB HD)
• $1299 (SuperDrive, 80GB HD)
β€’

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 03:46 AM

so do you think the emac line will be deleted?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2004, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by storer:
so do you think the emac line will be deleted?
Hell no. Having a cheap G4 Mac line with a sturdy case is great! I think Apple needs such a machine for schools and people on a very tight budget.

new eMac

• current form factor and screen
• 1.5GHz G4, 167MHz FSB
• Combo or SuperDrive
• 9200 or 5200U
• 40GB or 80GB HD
• $749 or $949
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 20, 2004 at 03:56 AM. )
β€’

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2004, 03:29 PM

The first cheap G5 system I see would likely be an iMac mini, sooner than an eMac... least I hope so.

Actually if they could get the price low on 15 inch flat panels they could sell that to edu places with an iBook mini... ooo the possibilities...

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 04:25 PM

I would have trouble thinking of it as a mac, because then the monitor isn't one made by apple/included originally.
You might, but a hell of a lot of people won't.

I haven't owned an Apple-branded monitor since the MultiScan 15. Their LCD displays are nice, but I've never been able to justify the cost.

I've sold hundreds (maybe thousands) of Macs, and while I will admit that most customers purchased Apple-branded monitors, Sony, ViewSonic, and NEC/Mitsubishi were close behind. I think LaCie would be after that.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I haven't owned an Apple-branded monitor since the MultiScan 15. Their LCD displays are nice, but I've never been able to justify the cost.
Yes, a lot of people can't afford an apple display, or can't justify it. Even though I wouold probably be with you in thinking its not really a mac, is it really a big issue?

EDIT: oh **** it was me who said that. I must have been sleepy! Seeing as though i didn't remember apple sold displays...

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 01:09 AM

I think people would feel cheated getting a 15" flat screen eMac. Afterall, Apple sees the 17" screen as more real estate for the user. Something more likely would be eMacs matching the iPod mini's colors with the white remaining as the high end eMac. If not I agree that the revision is not going to come soon. The only people who aren't satisfied with the eMac's are people who want the "next big thing"

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 12:19 AM

1.42GHz G4
512k L2 cache
167MHz Bus

betcha 10 bucks
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
betcha 10 bucks
no, but that sounds good.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

If Apple creates an G4 eMac, who in their right mind would buy it? I guess if they keep the prices as low as they are now...

Everyone wants the G5...

Rodster
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 08:30 PM

ugh... I'll be quiet now
It worked, I just bought a new eMac for $799 and love it. There's a learning curve coming from the Windows world but I like the new Mac OS.

...peace!

whelkboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 04:23 PM

…will probably be whatever eMac Apple makes. My current eMac (800Mhz) is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm starting to have problems with the monitor. At about £550, it might be cheaper to buy a new one than mess about with fixing this one. The iMac is a few pounds under a grand… quite a price difference, I'm sure you'll agree.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 11, 2004, 09:30 PM

give those headless goons their G5 cube and open up a Cube forum

geist_darkblade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 10:03 PM

I think a emac G4 with a lcd screen would be nice. Most people want lcd screens now. It would only affect imac sells if it was a G5. I like the idea of emacs having ATI graphics. I would buy one if it came in green.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 07:17 PM

At this point it looks like we will have to wait until Macworld to find out what the eMac gets, or if they even decide to keep it around. It's going to have seriously low specifications by the time January rolls around.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
give those headless goons their G5 cube and open up a Cube forum
Well, Apple caved a bit... they now have the single CPU G5 tower... which is in the ballpark the headless iMac.

I still want something smaller and cheaper.

I also want a network device from Apple. Play video on my TV, play music from iTunes, pictures from iPhoto... DivX from Opps...

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2004, 10:47 PM

To be successful, profitable, in this industry companies like Apple must be very smart about how they manage component inventory and the eMac is just simply heaven for
Apple as it gives them a volume market/high margins for essentially a large collection of pathetically outdated inventory.......face it, every single component in the eMac is totally outdated. The only thing it has going for it is it's cheap, real cheap. Kids are great for eMacs because they don't know any better and are very hard on computers. I have my 12 and 10 year old sharing a 1.25mhz eMac and my 6 year old is on an old purple iMac that has literally had several pieces of toast pulled out of it....don't ask. They are all in heaven. But the main point is that the eMac is Apples way of maximizing return from very old inventory - and they will always need to have a product like an eMac.....What the next rev will have will be a function of what they have surplus inventory available to stick in at the time. Price will be flat improvements will be modest, customers will rave....

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Podolsky:
To be successful, profitable, in this industry companies like Apple must be very smart about how they manage component inventory and the eMac is just simply heaven for
Apple as it gives them a volume market/high margins for essentially a large collection of pathetically outdated inventory.......face it, every single component in the eMac is totally outdated. The only thing it has going for it is it's cheap, real cheap. Kids are great for eMacs because they don't know any better and are very hard on computers. I have my 12 and 10 year old sharing a 1.25mhz eMac and my 6 year old is on an old purple iMac that has literally had several pieces of toast pulled out of it....don't ask. They are all in heaven. But the main point is that the eMac is Apples way of maximizing return from very old inventory - and they will always need to have a product like an eMac.....What the next rev will have will be a function of what they have surplus inventory available to stick in at the time. Price will be flat improvements will be modest, customers will rave....
This hasn't always been the case, back when the iMac was still a G4, the eMac matched performance and in some cases exceeded the performance of the iMac which was easily twice the cost or more. I've been using my 1.5 GHz eMac for two years now, and it's easily the best computer I've ever owned.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:00 AM

its not entirly made from apples old parts stock it has a nonstandard mobo, screen and case. Not only that but apple specifically buys more parts for the emac.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I've been using my 1.5 GHz eMac for two years now
?

Forum Links
Forum Rules