Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can you internet share airport to airport?

Can you internet share airport to airport?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 10:58 AM

I was messing around in sys prefs earlier, and found internet sharing. I wondered if I could share the connection i recieve through airport on my iMac to other computers using wireless, so like a wireless bridge, if you like. Thing is, when ever I enable sharing, from airport to airport, my iMac can no longer access the web, and nor can the computers I connect to my iMacs 'network'

Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal? I would have thought it is possible to do what I want to do, as te options are right there in system prefs, or is it totally impossible, and the settings that share airport to airport are meant to make something else work...

Cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2006, 06:06 PM

The AirPort card can only do one thing at a time, or more precisely, it can only connect to one thing at a time. If you had TWO AirPort cards, you could do what you want...

You could share by connecting your computer to the Internet connection with a cable and then share out through AirPort, but that's not what you're talking about.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 01:52 AM

Ah right OK, cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules