Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Could I have a problem with my airport card in my iMac?

Could I have a problem with my airport card in my iMac?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 05:31 AM

Sometimes, when using my iMac C Duo, I go to load a website, and it just sits there, aparently loading, but it will never load. From this point, to get any site to load, I have to turn off airport, and turn it back on again, and all is well again.. until the next time it does it.

Also, when running Win XP on the iMac, the internet connection often drops out and will not reconnect without a reboot.

I really don't think its a problem with my modem/router, as my new MacBook is fine.

Anyone else have this problem / know what I should do
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2006, 10:08 AM

Reboot your modem. Whenever this happens, reboot your modem and maybe your router (if they're separate devices). Those two items are far more susceptible to glitches than your AirPort card.

And if you don't already have your modem and router on an UPS, get that done! Even small power glitches can cause odd behavior in such devices (their power supplies are not terribly sophisticated), and one good dip or spike can lock you up badly.

Finally, remember that broadband modems and routers (and combination devices) are microcomputers. Microcomputers whose OS and functioning software are not terribly well tested. They sometimes have memory leaks and dropped pointers that just plain goof them up. An occasional reboot (usually done by turning them off, waiting for a timed minute or so and then turning them back on) will keep you from running into problems while you're actively using your broadband connection.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 11:06 AM

Cool, cheers, yep a reboot seems to have sloved the problem for now. I'll get a UPS for the (all in one) wireless router and modem, and i'll probs get one of those little electronic timers that I can set to turn the router off on a sunday night each week for example, for a few minutes, to reboot it
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2006, 11:30 AM

The timer idea is a good one, particularly if you have consistent problems like this. I have separate modem, router and wireless access point, so I'm not nearly so dependent on one box as you are, but I have had similar issues. Updating the firmware on the router helped, but I don't know if typical UK modem/router boxes are open enough to let you do that. If you can, and there's something out there that is newer (and supposedly better) for your particular box, that may be a better long-term solution than the timer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 12:27 PM

Cool, I will look into it, thanks matey

Forum Links
Forum Rules