Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to install a pkg

how to install a pkg
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 07:45 PM

I have downloaded caim-0.03.pkg.tgz

I have done this to it so far. But I can do something else if suggested.

gunzip -c caim-0.03.pkg.tgz | tar -xvf -

let me know how I can get this installed.

THanks.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 07:56 PM

I assume you are using Mac OS X? On the desktop. just doublick the archive and it'll expand, then double click the pckage to install.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 07:58 PM

I do not have access to my desktop right now.

This program as it seems now is a port to OSX as a gui and not a command line util.

What I am looking for really is a command line AIM client. Know of one?

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I assume you are using Mac OS X? On the desktop. just doublick the archive and it'll expand, then double click the pckage to install.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
I do not have access to my desktop right now.

This program as it seems now is a port to OSX as a gui and not a command line util.

answer to the first question:

installer -pkg thefile.pkg -target /

The second: check http://fink.sourceforge.net This is useful for installing open source projects. If there is a command line AIM client, it should be here. You may, however, be satisfied with an X11 AIM client, which would still allow you to run the program remotely through an SSH tunnel.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 01:10 AM

I've used caim a few times in the last couple of years. It's nice for basic stuff.

If you want a nice, multi-protocol, feature-rich client, check out centericq, a sweet curses-based client. It's kinda like Adium but on the commandline. I've never compiled it on Mac OS X, but it does appear to be in fink like Millenium suggested.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
...but it does appear to be in fink like Millenium suggested.
Millenium? You must not be used to seeing me in here.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
You're right! I didn't mean anything by it, man! Hah, at least this is only MacNN, and I'm not your wife and you didn't catch me yelling someone else's name during...

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 09:17 PM

You're right! I didn't mean anything by it, man! Hah, at least this is only MacNN, and I'm not your wife and you didn't catch me yelling someone else's name during...
Yup. When my wife and I first got together, I kept wanting to refer to her by my first wife's name... that didn't go over too well, but at least she understood that it was tough to break habits like that.

Anyway, I've been studying up on my sed and awk, so I have slightly more useful input in here now. It's been a few years since I've done much in the Developer forum, though.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 11:00 PM

Anyway, I've been studying up on my sed and awk, so I have slightly more useful input in here now. It's been a few years since I've done much in the Developer forum, though.
I've been trying to work on beefing up on sed and awk as well. While I'm not very advanced yet, I know that there is a lot of stuff you can do with them, so I usually end up searching google or reading a man page to find what I need. Funny story about sed and awk, though...

I was at a technical internship conference back in January, ya know, one of those things where everyone walks around dressed up all nice passing out resum�s and shaking hands. I was talking with a recruiter for Qualcomm about my interests in server technologies, Unix, Linux, and how I've come to like sed and awk for parsing logs, etc. He says to me, "Screw sed and awk, do you know perl?". Hah, ironically enough, I had just recently picked up a book on perl. I hear perl can do everything sed and awk can do, plus you've got the power and extensibility of CPAN's module repository at your fingertips.

I guess I'll be learning perl sometime (what time?)!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 02:57 PM

Yes, but why write a script when you can write one long string of archaic commands at the command line to do what you need to do?

e.g.:

ps -auxww | awk '/vscanx/ {print $2}' | xargs sudo kill

will kill all of your virex stuff if you are having difficulty unmounting a disc so you can run DiskWarrior. Now, if I could get that to work as an alias... (the $2 is getting in the way).

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2005, 04:01 PM

gunzip -c caim-0.03.pkg.tgz | tar -xvf -
Just as a hint for future reference, tar can extract zipped files itself:

tar -xzf caim-0.03.pkg.tgz

Use j instead of z if it's a bzip'd file

Hehe. I did exactly the same thing as [APi]TheMan. I seen the blue stars, and assumed it was Millennium.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Black Book:
Just as a hint for future reference, tar can extract zipped files itself:

tar -xzf caim-0.03.pkg.tgz

Use j instead of z if it's a bzip'd file

Hehe. I did exactly the same thing as [APi]TheMan. I seen the blue stars, and assumed it was Millennium.
Ah-hah! As of tar 1.15 you don't even need to use "z" or "j" when you're working with gzip or bzip archives, it's all auto-detected!
Code:
version 1.15 - Sergey Poznyakoff, 2004-12-20 * Compressed archives are recognised automatically, it is no longer necessary to specify -Z, -z, or -j options to read them. Thus, you can now run `tar tf archive.tar.gz'.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 02:43 PM

Ah-hah! As of tar 1.15 you don't even need to use "z" or "j" when you're working with gzip or bzip archives, it's all auto-detected! ...
Holy freaking [insert here appropriate explative of choice that does not offend you]!

Of course, now I'm going to sit down at someone else's machine and try to use it, but it won't work. I'll keep doing it out of habbit. I've been doing it for some ten odd years now anyway (since MkLinux on my 7200). Do you have any idea how hard it was to read the tar help screen on MkLinux when booted to the command line before I had learned about more or less? That was an INCREDIBLY useful thing to learn at the time.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 06:18 PM

Holy freaking [insert here appropriate explative of choice that does not offend you]!
Someone told me that tip a few days ago and I was blown away. I love that stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules