Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Make: command not found

Make: command not found
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2001, 08:47 PM

Hello there,

I am new to the make install and all that. I just downloaded a couple things I want to install. It may be the wrong thing to install but here goes, and someone can tell me if there is something better out there.

I downloaded Enlightenment X windows client and the dlcompat-20010116 that it needs to run, but when I follow the instructions under root and type "make install" it tells me "make: Command not found". Just wondering what I am doing wrong and if this is the best way to go about it.

Thanks ahead of time,
Phillip

gid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 09:42 PM

I believe you need to install the developer tools to use make.

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2001, 09:49 PM

Exactly -- you need to install the Developer Tools to get make, a compiler, and the other development goodies.

Also, I'm assuming you have X installed and working before downloading Enlightnement stuff, right? If not, there's websites on how to install X. I'd check macosxhints.com and related sites . . .

Forum Links
Forum Rules