Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would you do? WhiteBook or refurb BlackBook

What would you do? WhiteBook or refurb BlackBook
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 12:04 PM

OK, so I am getting a replacement MacBook (white, 1.83, hasn't arrived yet, eta end of next week). I have also ordered another MacBook, with the same spec, for my sister.

When ordering my sisters one, my dad said to me (im only 16, hence my dad sorting this all out...); you can pay the extra to upgrade your sisters order to a black MB if you like, and she can have your replacement white one...

I pondered a bit, but decided against it due to the £200 I would have to pay to upgrade (the ordered MB was £820 inc 1 GB RAM).

But as of today, Apple UK on their website have put up refurb MacBooks, and the black one would only cost me £55 to upgrade!

So, what would you do... 1) Keep all as is, and keep the white replacement MacBook, or 2) Give the replacement MB to my sister, cancel the MB originally ordered for my sister, and order the refurb black machine...

My reservations in the refurb is that its going to be an early production machine... and possibly plauged with early problems which since seemed to have dissappeared (whine & moo's come to mind, and to a certain extent, heat (which seemed to be worse on earlier models)).

Oh, one other thing.. if I keep everything as is.. ie I keep the white MB, I will have 1 GB RAM in my laptop. If I upgrade to the black, the deal is I have to give my 3rd party 2 x 512s to my sister, and pay ~£60 for another pair of 512s.

Any advice appreciated! (and sorry this post was so long..!)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Ouhei
Jul 21, 2006, 12:45 PM

I'd keep the white ones personally, I love the white macbook. I wouldn't get a black one over the white either way, but its all personal opinion.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

Blubby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 01:13 PM

Two words: grease marks.

My b/fs black macbooks keyboard and trackpad is well, shiny.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2006, 01:21 PM

Whitebook baby!

bryanmsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 01:30 PM

Black price premium just doesn't seem worth it given the grease marks. I bought a new BlackBook at an Apple store and its perfect. My office mate bought a refurb blackbook from Apple.com and the trackpad button was bad. Now, its probably just bad luck because I bought a refurb Intel iMac and it was perfect as well.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 01:55 PM

personally, i wouldnt risk it with the refurb

if youre already happy with the white one, a black macbook probably wouldn't make you anymore happy?
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 02:35 PM

OK so I'm decided on the white - mainly because of the fact that the refurb MBs are going to be early models, and also refurbs are generally products that have been sent back to Apple with a problem, been fixed, and then put up for sale -meaning these refurbs could exhibit whines, moo's, the whole shebang of problems really, hence I will stick with the white.

Also, I unfortunatly have very sweaty palms near to all of the time, and talk of grease marks doesn't appeal to me - its bad enough on the whitebook with my hands, but its not particually noticable unless you look at it in a certain way.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules