Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead pixels on my MacBook

Dead pixels on my MacBook
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 05:10 PM

So I have just noticed a dead poxel on my MacBook.

I dont know whats wrong with me, I don't seem to be able to get a decent machine! This is my 3rd machine, and its already got a fault!

There is one group of pixels near the bottom of the panel, halfway between the 'M' of the MacBook writing and the left side of the display, about 10 pixels up from the bottom of the display. The group is sizable, considering the tiny size of pixels, about 5 or 6 pixels, and is noticable from normal operating distance.

There is a second dead pixel (singular), which is stuck on pink, which is also near the bottom of the display, but higher than the other group, and on the opposite side of the panel. This pixel is hardly noticable, and if it were the only imperfection, then I wouldnt care.

So I'm guessing, that since the dead pixels aren't in the middle of the display, Apple won't give a crap, and will tell me to bugger off....

Do y'all think I should contact Apple about this?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

craigb6
Aug 25, 2006, 05:46 PM

Yeah you should see if they would replace it, also run a hardware test to check to see if there are more dead pixels.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 07:04 AM

How would a hardware test detect dead/stuck pixels?

ael719
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2006, 07:12 AM

I have the same problem. I bought my MacBook and noticed a stuck pixel on the bottom right corner. I was able to give it a light rub and it would go away, but return every couple weeks. Now it seems to be completely dead and no amount of rubbing will get rid of it. It sucks, but I can live with it.

I'll be going to the Apple Store to get my trackpad button replaced because it has become unresponsive. Hopefully they'll give me a replacement, but if not I'll be ok with it. I probably wouldn't even bother asking about fixing the dead pixel if the trackpad was working.
( Last edited by ael719; Aug 26, 2006 at 07:23 AM. )
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

craigb6
Aug 26, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
How would a hardware test detect dead/stuck pixels?
I read somewhere that as it is running it tests the display and you can see if there are any pixels that don't change. In fact I've found the link, Look under 'Unpacking & Testing' "Amongst other things, it performs a display test - which is fundamental for picking up "dead" pixels before you start installing stuff".
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 04:28 PM

Interesting, but it doesn't sound feasible.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 04:58 PM

5 or 6 dead pizels plus the one on the other side consitutes 7 dead pixels: way more than the normal threshold of accepability for most companies, even Apple. From what I hear, Apple's Policy on dead pixels is the "customer bitching" policy. IE, the more of a fuss you make about it, the more likely they are to help out.

Besides, 7 dead pixels is way too much, imo.
Linkinus is king.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 05:16 PM

I believe Apple's policy is 10 - 15 dead pixels before they would replace the LCD panel. Or about 3-5 deal pixels within an inch from each other.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2006, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I think the "pixels in the middle of the screen" thing is basically more applicable to whether they'll replace it if there are only a couple of dead pixels. That is, even if there are a small number of dead pixels, they would be more likely to replace it if they were in the middle of the screen because it would be more of an annoyance. If you have 7 pixels though, it sounds like you have enough for it to surpass the threshold regardless of where they are on the screen.

HouseSold
Senior User
Aug 27, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Elektrix
Yeah, I think the "pixels in the middle of the screen" thing is basically more applicable to whether they'll replace it if there are only a couple of dead pixels. That is, even if there are a small number of dead pixels, they would be more likely to replace it if they were in the middle of the screen because it would be more of an annoyance. If you have 7 pixels though, it sounds like you have enough for it to surpass the threshold regardless of where they are on the screen.
Try this favorite to test your LCD screens:

Download PiXel Check – VersionTracker

Forum Links
Forum Rules